June Buggie Rants!

June Buggie Rants about “The Grey”

Meow! My name is June Buggie and I have something to say.

So there’s this movie out in theaters now called “The Grey.”  Yeah, yeah, another movie that demonizes wolves.  You humans can’t seem to get enough of that crap.

Thanks to Jaws, you’re afraid of sharks.

You’re afraid of bears, tigers, and other large animals (you call them ‘game’).

What is it with you humans?  Are you really so ignorant about us animals?  Or is this just an excuse to kill us?

Here’s some facts about “The Grey.”

• The cast ate wolf meat while filming the movie. (from examiner.com)
  •  The producers assured PETA that real wolves would not be used in the making of this film.  It was later learned they bought wolf carcasses from a trapper.  Gee, I wonder what horrid death those wolves suffered? (from peta.org)
  • The movie portrays wolves as bloodthirsty and ready to attack any and every human in sight.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Wolves fear humans. (from thedailybeast.com)

Fremlin|cc by 2.0

There are an estimated 5000 gray wolves in the US.  Thanks to the federal government removing the wolf from the endangered species list, those numbers are sure to decline.

Wolves don’t attack humans.  Contrast that with Mexican drug wars, in which over 34,000 people have died at the hands of other humans.

There are no confirmed cases of wolves killing humans. They can be a danger to pets and livestock, but there are simple things that can be done to protect these animals from wolf attack.  One of the easiest is to keep your pets indoors.  (from HSUS.org)

Wolves are a valuable component of a healthy ecosystem.  Killing them is just stupid.  But hey, that’s what you humans do, right?  Kill things for no good reason?

I gotta go hide now, before one of you takes a shot at me.

MEOW!

About these ads

87 thoughts on “June Buggie Rants about “The Grey”

1. The wolf is my power animal. My first animal companion was when I first got married … he was a wolf -hybrid … iridescent white with amber eyes. At 180 lbs he thought he was a lap dog, and the most he would do is lick someone to death. I believe in protecting the endangered species. Thank you for sharing! :D

Posted by becca givens | January 31, 2012, 1:29 AM
  2. Wolves are such beautiful animals. It’s sad that a movie with a well known actor is willing to portray them in such a wrong way.

Posted by Bongo | January 31, 2012, 1:30 AM
  3. Thanks for the info. I’ll definitely skip that movie now !!!

Posted by VC | January 31, 2012, 1:35 AM
  4. I didn’t know the movie ” The Grey” until I read your rant, June Buggie.
    It doesn’t have any schedule to be released in Japan so far.
    I felt very sad to read about the film and strognly hope that the film NOT come here.
    This rant reminds me “Becky’s Pup” written by “zendictive” that the lovely story about human girl “Becky” and a wolf “Ralph” . That was a quite beautiful story between human and wolf and I was so touched. Of course, not all wolves are safe, but humans should respects the lives of animals more.
    By the way, June Buggie, how’re you? You look cute as ever!!!!

Posted by eripanwkevin | January 31, 2012, 2:14 AM
  5. Right on June Buggie! Thank you a million times for this timely rant. This movie needs to be picketed the way people are picketing circuses.

In attempts to restore the balance of nature, wolves have been re-introduced to areas where they had been hunted almost to extinction. And then the states have lifted restrictions on hunting and are allowing kill-on-sight. And then there’s Sarah Palin with her aerial destruction tactics in Alaska.

There are ways to protect livestock from predators. But why expend the time and effort when you can get Hollywood and the media to perpetuate evil stereotypes? It’s very sad. OurPeople support Wolf Haven, sign petitions and write letters, but sometimes it seems like a losing battle.

For the first time since 1924, a wolf from a pack in Oregon is known to have come into California. We hope he stays safe! Here’s a good link ~ http://www.sacbee.com/2012/01/25/4212817/wandering-wolf-tracked-in-same.html

You’re the Best Ranter Ever, June Buggie. Keep up the good work! Love & loud purring from RainbowCatsx8

Posted by Annabelle Essert (@RainbowCatsx8) | January 31, 2012, 2:21 AM
    • California has the most stringent animal protection laws in the US. His best shot is there.

Posted by rumpydog | January 31, 2012, 6:19 AM
      • Unfortunately, with all of California’s budget cuts, there isn’t a lot of manpower to enforce the laws anymore. Also, unfortunately, N. Calif. has hunters/ranchers who’d consider it a feather in their cap to kill that wolf…them being so dangerous and all. We think he’d be safer in Oregon and also have a better chance of finding a mate. Stay safe “Journey” aka OR-7!!

Posted by Annabelle Essert (@RainbowCatsx8) | February 1, 2012, 9:53 AM
  6. Thanks for that, June Buggie, I didn’t know that about this movie which I will definitely not be seeing now. I absolutely love wolves (infact my favourite book in the world is called Wolf Totem) – they are beautiful animals.

Thanks for your rant :)

Posted by The Book Whisperer | January 31, 2012, 2:45 AM
  7. I didnt know half of this June Buggie, thank u for sharing. We have to protect the wolves

Posted by maggie68d | January 31, 2012, 5:00 AM
  8. I am no fan of PETA, I think they are major enemies of domestic animals, but I dont like the idea of a movie that demonizes any wild animal, particularly one that is endangered.

Posted by kate | January 31, 2012, 5:13 AM
  9. Isn’t the wolf, like, everybodies favorite animal these days?

Posted by Dianda | January 31, 2012, 5:22 AM
  10. I’m glad that you wrote about all the awful facts so more people are aware and hopefully do not spend any money going to see this film. Thank you for another terrific, but sad, post! xx

Posted by Moxie Dogs | January 31, 2012, 5:58 AM
  11. June Buggie I’m with you on this one. Mom and I saw the preview for that movie and it was just sad how they portrayed the grey wolf. We think wolves are so beautiful and misunderstood. If people took time to LEARN before they JUDGE it would help so much with things like endangered species and misinformation in movies. Anyway, RIGHT ON June Buggie….thanks for speaking up.

Sammy (and his Mom)

Posted by onespoiledcat | January 31, 2012, 6:32 AM
  12. Fanks agin, JB! Mom goes 2 movies. Sez she wont B seeing this one! BTW, wolves is meant fur wild. People who try 2 mek pets & mix wolf wif goggies is not helping wolves OR goggies. Let them B wolf doing what wolf do! Mom sez they hav strong predatory nature & then peepul git mad b’cuz their “pet” dint grow 2 B moar “pet-like.” Iz b’cuz they R NOT ment 2B pets! God made all fur gud so iz gud fur wolf 2B wolf & fur peepuls 2 unnerstan & let them B.

Posted by Mr. BobButtons Michael | January 31, 2012, 6:45 AM
  13. Mom says she will NOT go see that movie! Thanks for the info!

The Florida Furkids

Posted by The Florida Furkids | January 31, 2012, 7:30 AM
  14. I’m not going to see it now. Thanks for the heads-up! If I really wanted to see a movie about scary predators, I’d just pull out “The Silence of the Lambs” from my DVD collection.

Posted by Howlin' Mad Heather | January 31, 2012, 7:32 AM
  15. Amen And Amen!! MOM’s favorite animal (next to me of course) is the wolf. She fights for them when ever she can. You preach it June Buggie .
    Blessings,
    Goose

Posted by Goose | January 31, 2012, 7:53 AM
  16. Good goin, June Buggie! Wolves are my distant relatives and I feel a kinship towards them. Hate to hear about their mistreatment and the awful portrayal in this movie you’re talking about. What did wolves do to deserve this? Not a thing! GRRRR! This really gets my fur tense. Thanks for raising awareness. For a cat, you’re okay!

Posted by Loup A. Graham | January 31, 2012, 7:56 AM
  17. Wolves are awesome! You better watch out though, Rumpy, you look a little like a wolf!

Posted by gracie may | January 31, 2012, 8:26 AM
  18. I think this is a grrrreat post.

Posted by Frankie Furter and Ernie | January 31, 2012, 8:38 AM
  19. Wolves have forever been among my favorite animals, and I have always told people who were afraid of them that they don’t attack humans, they’d rather stay far away from us. This is a great post, and if only more people realized the truth about them, instead of believing these movies.

Posted by Dounia | January 31, 2012, 9:28 AM
  20. June Buggie,
    Thank you for alerting us to this movie (I had not heard about it). Definitely will not be seeing it!

Posted by Lindy MacDuff | January 31, 2012, 10:12 AM
  21. This story is gross enough that I can’t help wondering if it won’t turn out to be a promotional rumor. In either case, it sounds like the problem is bigger than just the one movie.

Posted by Anne Schilde | January 31, 2012, 10:53 AM
    • Probably. But the plight of wolves still must be exposed.

Posted by rumpydog | January 31, 2012, 11:22 AM
      • It’s sure not new. Take a look at this quote based on observations made in 1949.

“We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly perceive it to be — the mythological epitome of a savage, ruthless killer — which is, in reality, no more than the reflected image of ourself.” ~Farley Mowatt.

There appears to be a lot of controversy over Mowatt’s claims, but you’d think if nothing else, his statement defines a very real problem more than 60 years old now.

Posted by Anne Schilde | January 31, 2012, 7:17 PM
      • So I guess that means humans won’t stop until wolves are extinct. *sigh*

Posted by rumpydog | January 31, 2012, 9:06 PM
      • I hope not. It’s an ugly stigma for sure. Even when we (not you and I per se) romanticize wolves as sex symbols we still hunt them down and kill them.

Mowatt’s book became a Disney movie. Most of us saw Dances With Wolves. Some very high profile films paint a beautiful picture of the familial creatures wolves are. Mowatt even proved they help control rodent populations.

You know we impact our environment in so many negative ways. It’s hard to say what good work we do will pay off, and what will work out in spite of those who work against us. You do good work. That’s what counts.

I’ve been friends with two wolves. I used to cuddle one to sleep at night. She was the most amazing creature, the perfect picture of loyalty and dedication as if I was her own pup. Super-intelligent, truly loving… and she sang! ♥

Posted by Anne Schilde | February 1, 2012, 1:34 AM
  22. Thank you June Buggie you made a very important point again. I’ll always listen and take note what you share with us. I hope and wish human world would stop all these bad things… You are nice cat and you are so lucky one because you have a wondeerful human owner. With my love, and kisses, nia

Posted by niasunset | January 31, 2012, 12:34 PM
  23. WWOOW! June it makes me ashamed to be human!!

Posted by willowdot21 | January 31, 2012, 1:00 PM
  24. I have had an encounter with a coyote and it could have cared less if I was there or not. There are a few in the neighborhood I live in and they just take off – want nothing to do with humans. I am sure wolves are pretty much like this too – elusive and either are a loner starting a new pack or are part of a pack. Sometimes animals get a bad rap in movies – I have to agree with that.

Posted by cravesadventure | January 31, 2012, 1:27 PM
  25. I really appreciate today’s post. The same is true about coyotes. They don’t hurt humans. They are terrified of humans. If you keep your pets in-doors and stay near your dogs when you walk them, then they will be safe. I love the sound of coyotes howling in the night. I guess they are the same as wolves in that respect. All that howling and yipping sounds so primitive yet sophisticated at the same time. These canids are communicating in a way that is totally different from human communication. That’s something I’l like to get a grant to study! I always get great ideas from your posts!

Posted by Russell Smith | January 31, 2012, 1:27 PM
  26. Dear JuneBuggy,
    Me loves your rants – this is a great one! We lives in the middle of nowhere and there is lots of wild animals around. In the spring and fall we often has bears in our village, there is a cougar that comes up and down the river occasionally. The deers is real pests, we gets elks occasionally and we has coyotes too. Every once in a while we will has a moose or a wolf.
    Wild animals is more scared of us! None of them is evil or scaryy, they just needs to be respected and not bugged and not has stupid movies made about them.
    Thanks yous JB!
    Kisses
    Nellie

Posted by catfromhell | January 31, 2012, 2:29 PM
  27. JuneBuggy. We need wolves. They do their best to stay away from humans. The same is true of coyotes – who have adapted to live near man, but avoid contact. They just want to be left alone…maybe this film (which sounds dumb) will encourage conversations and be an opportunity to learn.

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | January 31, 2012, 3:22 PM
  28. Rant on, June Buggie! Give ‘em heck for such tunnel-vision ways of approaching the wolf population issues! May I hide with you?

Posted by granbee | January 31, 2012, 4:30 PM
  29. We get very sad when we hear about things like this. The wolf is such a wonderful, intelligent and amazing animal. There have been so many untruths told about them. The killing and mistreatment of these wonderful animals needs to stop. We have a very close connection to the wolf and our heart hurts for them. Thank you sweet June Buggie for speaking out for the beautiful wolves. Hugs and nose kisses

Posted by Chancy, Mumsy and Crew | January 31, 2012, 4:38 PM
  30. What a terrific post! Wolves are a beautiful part of world!

Posted by Bassetmomma | January 31, 2012, 6:52 PM
  31. Hi, I found your blog through Cecilia’s Red Shoe Award. Congratulations! That is such a shame that in this day and age they are making movies that send powerful messages that are highly inaccurate.

Posted by hotlyspiced | January 31, 2012, 7:36 PM
  32. That’s really unfortunate :( I love wolves and always have since I was young, I used to sketch them, copied from an illustrated picture book of wolf days from birth to adulthood. I have posters of wolves on the wall in my room, collected in the 5th grade! One of my favourite series is about a boy who rescues a wolf pup and they bond :)

Posted by pearlessence | January 31, 2012, 8:58 PM
  33. You say it June!!! I totally agree with you with this one… but I also like Liam Neeson… still, what horrific information you’ve picked up… they ate wolf meat… how awful is that.

Huggies and Cheese,

Haopee

Posted by haopee | February 1, 2012, 1:06 AM
  34. Psst…June Buggie its just fiction and not real.

Posted by 2browndawgs | February 1, 2012, 4:52 AM
  35. Stop watching fiction! That’s all I want to say.

Posted by enogita | February 1, 2012, 6:34 AM
  36. Another terrible and false “entertainment” about wolves…any of the Twilight Saga movies!!!

Posted by Annabelle Essert (@RainbowCatsx8) | February 1, 2012, 9:40 AM
  37. The Collies Howl their approval of this post!

Posted by colliesofthemeadow | February 1, 2012, 6:15 PM
  38. Thanks for some very valuable info that I likely wouldn’t have known otherwise. I’ll definitely skip over that movie!

Posted by Bonnie | February 1, 2012, 6:31 PM
  39. I will NOT be seeing this movie now. It’s one thing to make yet another movie casting animals as the bad guys, but they ate wolf meat! That’s way over the top. The makers of Jaws didn’t eat shark, did they?

Posted by James Pailly | February 2, 2012, 12:20 PM
  40. Thanks June Buggie for the great information.

Posted by Sheree Nielsen | February 3, 2012, 5:52 PM
  41. Humans – can’t live with us, can’t kill us all!

Posted by The Hook | February 4, 2012, 8:37 AM
  42. Tell me about it June! Humans are dangerous! :-)

Posted by eof737 | February 5, 2012, 4:34 AM
  43. Hey June Buggy,

You aren’t ranting; you’re just stating the facts. Humans kill animals. Sometimes it is for good reason as in hunting to control population and of course for food. But far too many times, the killing is done with no thought to the use as food and no care as to the environmental effect. Cruelty and slow painful death is the best that multiple millions of animals can expect from humans. From trapping for fur (a totally uneccesary material for any purpose) to hunting for Trophies whether African Big Game or Local Whitetail Deer.`

I detest the killing of anything unless it is for food or in the case of an accidental killing; the meat is saved for food for someone. I believe that all animals that are killed for whatever reason should be used as food if the meat is safe. I don’t really grasp the objection to hunting as a way of suplementing our food budget and as a good excuse to sit in a tree for a few hours. I love the time there and I do not enjoy killing anything. When the kill is clean, I am always relieved. But Natural resourses Police do an aggressive job of enforcing the rules in Maryland and the results of not hunting are a sad and cruel thing to see.

But that isn’t the real subject here I know. I just can’t help stating my position to give context to whatever else I might say.

First; I disagree with Trophy hunting. I still believe the meat should be used by someone. Given to the poor through some distribution method if nothing else. Many people hunt both for the Trophy and the meat. I never have kept a trophy. I find the notion repugnant.

Posted by angrymanspeaks | February 5, 2012, 11:29 AM
  44. I love wolves! It’s really sad that they’ve been made out to be an animal to be feared and hunted.

About a year ago, I went to a wolf preserve in Florida and learned so much. It was the most amazing experience ever. A wolf sat on my lap. =)

Posted by thoughtsappear | February 9, 2012, 7:55 AM
  45. Imagine what it is like to be a bunny – right at the bottom of the food chain.

Posted by Graphite Bunny | February 10, 2012, 8:35 AM
  46. I studies wolves in Montana, NC and NM and wanted to be a wolf biologist. Too bad I needed a paying job after college. Wolves are the most noble, family oriented, beautiful, incredible creatures I’ve been fortunate to have known. Shame on the human race for what we have done to this species. I’ll be boycotting this disgusting movie.

Posted by petmamma | February 12, 2012, 7:35 PM
  47. Cruelty is sad, for any animal to endure. I haven’t heard of this movie, but I won’t be seeing it. Thank you for the heads up. ~ Sheila

Posted by sheila7697 | February 13, 2012, 10:30 AM

My Gotcha Day cookie!!!! 😍😛🎈🎈🎈

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.