More Adventures in Lobbying!

Oh Dog! Dear DeDe here! I know it’s usually me here on Sunday, but Jen has more to say about her adventures in lobbying, so I’m giving up my day to her. I hope you read on and are inspired!

One thing you may wonder is what people wear when they go lobby at the State Capitol. The legislators are in business clothes- suits or dresses. There were also some clergy in clergy attire. There were some folks dressed up really nice. Others wore business clothing. The folks from UT had all sorts of University clothing, including one guy in a suit jacket and orange pants!

So, what happened in my meetings? Let’s start first with my adventure in Representative Sparks’ office. I met Lori, who asked some questions I didn’t have the answers for. But she was so great, she not only found the answers for me, but showed me how to look things up online for myself (and emailed me links in case I forgot!). It was Lori that figured out my handout had the wrong bill number on it. She showed me online where the Primate bill was (not moving) and told me who I needed to talk to in order to find out if the bill would be going anywhere.

And what a blessing she was too, because my first experience with an elected official turned out to be a solo experience! I kept waiting for the others listed on my schedule to show, but none did. So at the scheduled time I walked into Senator Jim Tracy’s office, nervous but determined to be heard.

Senator Tracy was a nice man. He listened to me, and wanted my take on the bill. He also was knowledgeable about the macaque incident in Shelbyville (mentioned in yesterday’s post). I politely went over my talking points with him. And, thanks to Lori, I knew where the bill stood so I didn’t sound like I didn’t have a clue.

Here’s a few more things to keep in mind as you meet with your elected officials:

1. Know how you want them to vote. Do you want a Yes or No vote? That’s important because you need to know how the bill reads to know the answer.
  2. Follow up with phone calls, emails or visits. Let your elected officials know you’re keeping up and are interested in the outcome.
  3. Consider donating to a Political Action Committee. There’s strength in numbers, and PACS provide just that. Here in Tennessee there are 600 PACs. One dedicated to supporting candidates that vote for humane animal laws is the Humane TN PAC. Don’t have much to give? It looks like alot more when it’s combined with other small donations. And candidates need more than just money. They need volunteers to help them get elected. You have more to give than you think.
  4. Remember, your elected officials represent everyone, not just you. A conscientious person may well want to vote with you, but must consider the will of all constituents. So give him or her a hand by helping to sell the bill. Give valid reasons to vote for the bill that will appeal to all. And then get out there and talk to others in the community and sell that bill (that’s where working with a group of like-minded people comes in real handy)!

OK gang, it’s time to get out there and do your part! Remember- they’re counting on us!

About these ads

33 thoughts on “More Adventures in Lobbying!

1. Sometimes I can only shake my head at the coincidences life throws at me. I am going to reblog this… kinda sorta… at Ermilia’s Picture It & Write Challenge. I hope I’m not obtuse for this double connection.

Posted by Anne Schilde | March 18, 2012, 2:07 AM
  2. Hi DeDe! *waves paw* Wow!!! Your Jen is truly brave and positive lady! and also has a logical mind! She sees and thinks things calmly which impressed me and my mom a lot! She is lucky to have oppotunities to meet and talk to Lori and Senator Tracy. That must be because of her positive effort to make things progress!!! :)

Posted by eripanwkevin | March 18, 2012, 4:44 AM
  3. Good for Jen. She’s very courageous. She is such a wonderful advocate for those of you who might not be allowed into government buildings or allowed to sit on the furniture in a senator’s office.

Posted by Paprika Furstenburg | March 18, 2012, 4:53 AM
  4. Yay Jen! Thank you Miss Jen for speaking on our behalf…..you’re the BEST!

Kitty Hugs
    Sammy

Posted by onespoiledcat | March 18, 2012, 5:49 AM
  5. Hi DeeDee, message for Jen here! Thanks for the great tips! I just had my first lobbying experience at the Law and Justice Committee Meeting last month. I still have two more to go. Great to hear any advice! :) I forwarded your last article to a friend of mine that lives in Tennessee that also has a heart for animals and lobbying. Best of luck on keeping our animals safe! I love my little furkid!! :)

Posted by mejustice | March 18, 2012, 5:55 AM
  6. Great post, Jenny! And thanks for the Humane Tennessee PAC plug! I’m glad you had a productive day and learned a lot. Thanks for your activism!

Posted by Anjie | March 18, 2012, 7:06 AM
  7. That is all so interesting to hear about. Jen, you are one terrific lady to do all that stuff but it must be really interesting, We sure do applaud you. Have a great Sunday.

Posted by ande123 | March 18, 2012, 7:23 AM
  8. Great information! Thansk to Jen for all her work too!

Posted by tilda2 | March 18, 2012, 11:32 AM
  9. Thanks for the info, I’ve been working some with THLN in Texas and we are trying to help all animals, and also you are one beautiful dog!!!!!!

Posted by Beth Poole | March 18, 2012, 2:07 PM
  10. Hi Y’all,

Thanks for a very informative post. So glad you had a positive experience.

Y’all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

Posted by Hawk aka BrownDog | March 18, 2012, 2:12 PM
  11. Hiya Rumpy!
    We were so happy to receive your comment today! Thanks for visiting and enjoying our silly little Real Housecats video! …Episode 2 begins airing in just a couple of hours. We hope you can stop back!
    : ) Your new friends,
    Katie & Glogirly

Posted by debbieglovatsky | March 18, 2012, 4:15 PM
  12. BECAUSE YOU MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE ——–
    YOUR COMPASSION FOR SWEET ANIMALS IS A BEAUTIFUL GIFT !
    XO
    CAT

Posted by Cat Forsley | March 18, 2012, 5:46 PM
  13. That looks like a lot of work. Great job!! :)

Woofs & hugs, <3

~Bailey (Yep, I'm a girl!)

Posted by Bailey | March 18, 2012, 6:47 PM
  14. Good for you Jen, I didn’t think those humans could be trained!!!

Posted by Brian | March 18, 2012, 6:49 PM
  15. Great advice!!! :)

Posted by colliesofthemeadow | March 18, 2012, 7:48 PM
  16. Dear Jen,
    Wow! You rock! Our process here in Canada is different, but I am sure I would be really nervous going through our process in Ottawa!
    Nellie’s Mom

Posted by catfromhell | March 18, 2012, 8:29 PM
  17. This was a great post! It is so important to let politicians know what we think AND know that people ARE paying attention to what they do. Sounds like you did a really bang-up job! Rumpydog is verreh proud! Even Spitty is impressed ;-)

Posted by Spitty the Kitty | March 18, 2012, 8:40 PM
  18. Hello Rumpy

Pippa and I had a sudden thought that we hadn’t seen any blogposts from you so thought we better bound over and see if you are all ok. We read your posts about less posts (less is more of course) but you haven’t come up on our feed. Sorry about our absence.

And great effort on the lobbying. It’s not easy. Good post to let people know how they can help. Pippa may even post on his blog. Soon.

Posted by roughseasinthemed | March 19, 2012, 8:30 AM
  19. I’m a cynical pup, do they actually listen to anyone except the rich corporations?

Posted by bonesdiary | March 19, 2012, 9:39 AM
  20. Excellent information! Just a roadmap for success. Visits do make a difference – give your representative a reason to vote your way! Thanks again

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | March 19, 2012, 6:31 PM
  21. I love your last tip- remembering the senator and other officials are representing EVERYONE and not just me. This is important to remember because sometimes it is easy to think that they absolutely do not care about us and thus are not supporting us. They have SO many things to consider, my little pug brain wants to explode.

P.S. The previous comment was posted from the wrong account. Would you mind deleting it? THANKS. :)

Posted by BunkThePug | March 19, 2012, 7:50 PM
  22. Yes, Jen, we do have to put creative effort in “selling” the bill to the folks in Congress! We must find ways to show that the bill will benefit more than it will harm.

Posted by granbee | March 23, 2012, 3:27 PM
  23. Way to go Jen! Thanks for sharing your adventure!

Posted by Ellie and Edmond | March 23, 2012, 4:22 PM

Scenes at #walmart: someone can't park!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.