Interviews

A Talk With a Petsitter!

Oh Dog! I am so excited! Today I have a wonderful guest! Roberta Parch is a professional pet sitter in Cleveland, Ohio, and today she’s going to tell us about the services she provides. So give it up for my friend Roberta!!!!

Roberta with Peaches!

Rumpy: Thanks for being my guest today Roberta. Tell us about your business!

Roberta: I’ve owned my business since 2000, but I’ve done petsitting for people since the 1980s. I’ve taken care of many different types of animals, from snakes, conures, etc. to dogs and cats. Someone who had alpacas took my card, but I haven’t heard from them yet.

Rumpy: Wow! You can take care of all kinds of animal friends! So what exactly does a a petsitter do?

Roberta: A petsitter feeds, cleans up after, plays with and snuggles people’s pets when they are at work or on vacation. Medication and training are also included.

Rumpy: That’s important, because DeDe takes medication, and it’s important that she remains on schedule. So what training do you have to do this job?

Roberta: I have had senior pets, pets with diabetes, and I foster cats with varying special needs, so I have a lot of experience giving medication, including giving shots. I also volunteer when I can at no-kill shelters. I went to school to be a dental hygienist, so I am especially tuned in to dental needs and health care in general.

Rumpy: Yes, I want someone with a variety of experiences for sure! What advice would you give someone looking for a pet sitter?

Roberta: I would tell people to look for a sitter with insurance. There really isn’t “bonding”with petsitting, the insurance covers that.

Rumpy: I saw that the insurance covers dog walks, transportation and can cover daycare in the petsitter’s home as well!

Roberta with Jadey Jade!

Roberta: Insurance doesn’t cover, and I don’t ever recommend-off leash for dogs or outdoor cat care- that can be risky when the owner isn’t present (I think it is risky in general, but to each his own)

Rumpy: Oh Jen would NEVER want a pet sitter walking either of us off-leash! So that makes perfect sense to me. And where do most of your clients find out about you?

Roberta: Petsitters Associates is one place to look, also Petsitters International. Most of my clients are referrals- people who are happy with me refer me to their friends. One could ask their friends who they use.

Rumpy: Awesome! Thanks for the excellent tips Roberta! If you’re in the Cleveland area, you can contact Roberta. Here’s her Facebook business page.

Friends, if you want to find an insured pet sitter, you can go here to find sitters in the US or around the world!

And for info to help you choose a sitter that’s right for you, here’s a great post to check out!

Click here for more great blogs!

About these ads

About Rumpy Drummond

36 thoughts on “A Talk With a Petsitter!

1. Thank you so much for sharing this information with us! We are kind of scared when mom and dad aren’t around…so usually one of them stays home with us! Enjoy your holiday weekend! Happy Easter! xoxo Chloe and LadyBug

Posted by bichonpawz | April 7, 2012, 3:09 AM
    • The Petsitters International website can give you information for many countries.

I know what you mean about not just wanting anyone to care for you. Jen is the same way. We are fortunate that where we live now there are some good options for care, but that hasn’t always been the case.

Posted by rumpydog | April 7, 2012, 9:02 AM
  2. Huh, Seems we may have something more in common than blogs my friend. I used to live in Willoughby, an eastern suburb of cleveland. My kid is still there and could sure use a sitter at times. Would you message me with her contact info?

Posted by campfireshadows | April 7, 2012, 7:21 AM
  3. I’ve heard about petsitters, but didn’t know what exactly they do for us. How wonderful they look after not only dogs and cats but also the other animals. too! Those sitters are very helpful when animals have to stay alone!!!!
    Yes, like Roberta says that it’s important to look for a sitter with insurance.
    I’ll let mom keep it in her mind when we look for a sitter!
    Thanks for sharing this post with us, Roberta and Rumpy!
    Happy Easter to you!!! :)

Posted by eripanwkevin | April 7, 2012, 7:22 AM
  4. Every once in a while we need to leave our precious pets in someone else’s care, but rarely. Good tips on what to look for in a reliable pet sitter.

Dropping by on the blog hop today – stop by my blog today for a new post entitled “Kitty Cookies & Doggie Donuts.” Just guess what this one’s about…. trying to solve one more problem pet owners might see.

Posted by Cherie K. Miller (@Impeeved) | April 7, 2012, 7:47 AM
  5. I get to stay at home with my Mommy all day, so I do not need a pet sitter, but this is good information to have! Thanks for sharing!

Posted by Nikitaland | April 7, 2012, 9:10 AM
  6. Nice interview! I was a petsitter/dog walker for several years . . best job ever!

Posted by julesmelfi | April 7, 2012, 9:34 AM
  7. Sounds like she’s doing a great job!
    If I had a car, I would be able to do it too around my neighborhood. :P

Posted by ailurous | April 7, 2012, 9:35 AM
  8. I wish I was a pet sitter!

Posted by Dianda | April 7, 2012, 9:37 AM
  9. We find it so hard to travel because of our seven cats. My mom usually comes to catsit, but sometimes she is unavailable. Maybe we need to look into a local cat sitter here… it sounds like they provide a wonderful service.

Posted by Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey | April 7, 2012, 9:41 AM
  10. Hey Rumpy, Jet here.

Excellent interview, dude. We didn’t know about the insurance issue. Great stuff… Mom usually invites our Auntie Angela to live with us the few times Mom goes away.

Posted by heyitsjethere | April 7, 2012, 9:59 AM
  11. Thanks for sharing this information. Mom and Dad pretty much never travel because there are so many of us and it would be too expensive to send us to a really good quality puppy hotel, plus they would miss us too much and worry about us when they are gone. Its nice to know that there are good pet sitters out there if mom and dad do decide to go on vacation without us some day

urban hounds

Posted by Urban Hounds | April 7, 2012, 12:30 PM
  12. Great stuff! Austin would like Roberta to move in NOW! *sigh*

Posted by CATachresis | April 7, 2012, 1:26 PM
  13. Thank you for the informative post! I wrote down the names of both referral services. I had an excellent neighbor who would cat sit for me, but he moved away! Why can’t people just stay put?

Posted by Russell Smith | April 7, 2012, 6:27 PM
  14. what a great job.she has….. I should do something like this…. after all I do this all the time with the collies anyways! LOL… great post!

Your friends,
    the collies and chuck :)

Posted by colliesofthemeadow | April 7, 2012, 6:57 PM
  15. Rumpy! Yous the best! Thanks for this timely interview!
    Kisses
    nellie

Posted by catfromhell | April 7, 2012, 7:08 PM
  16. Hi Y’all,

Enjoyed the interview. Lots of good points should the opportunity ever come up that I need to stay with a sitter.

Just hopped by to catch up on your happenings and say hello! Have a great week and a happy Easter!

Y’all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

Posted by Hawk aka BrownDog | April 7, 2012, 8:00 PM
  17. We’ve been fortunate. We’ve had a young lady from the vet’s office pet sit for us. We’ve also had trusted neighbors do this. First we scheduled a meet-and-greet. Made sure they got along with our cats. Outlined our expectations and left copious notes and phone numbers in the event of an emergency. Appreciated the tips you provided.

Posted by earthriderjudyberman | April 7, 2012, 8:04 PM
  18. Great interview, Rumpy. x

Posted by Moxie Dogs | April 8, 2012, 11:48 AM
  19. Thanks for the interview and links. The neighborhood “pet sitters” are getting older and going to college.(We will miss them!)

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | April 9, 2012, 9:35 AM
  20. Very helpful information!

Posted by kathryningrid | April 9, 2012, 4:09 PM
  21. Wonderful info about professional petsitters! Just when I am starting to make long-range plans for traveling next fall!

Posted by granbee | April 9, 2012, 6:00 PM
  22. Great information, as usual, Rumpy. We are blessed to have a FABULOUS petsitter! Mom and Dad used to drive us to Grandma and Grandpa’s house when they were going on vacation. We hated riding in the car and when we got to Grandma’s house we’d hide under the bed for days. When Mom and Dad got home from vacation they were so excited to see us, but we were mad at them. Now we have our petsitter and we get to stay in our own house with all of our toys and favorite sunny spots. Everyone is much happier with this arrangement.

Posted by Paprika Furstenburg | April 9, 2012, 8:01 PM
  23. Great interview and info!

Posted by Paws To Talk | April 9, 2012, 8:50 PM
  24. Great Post and great when you can find someone you know who will take really good care of your fur babies too!

Posted by cravesadventure | April 12, 2012, 10:51 AM
  25. Cool job! :)

Posted by tita buds | April 18, 2012, 3:41 AM

What would you like to add to the conversation? Leave a comment below!

Bubba the Wise Sage

about.me

Rumpy Dog

Rumpy Dog

All About Me!

Hi! My name is Rumpy, and I am an Alaskan Malamute. I used to live in Middle Tennessee, but now my family and I reside in southeast Alabama. I have this cool blog that I started in 2011. Here at rumpydog.com we talk about all things animal, with a focus on animal welfare and responsible animal companion guardianship. But we also like to throw in a heaping helping of cute! cute! cute! I mean, how could you look at me and not melt, right?

My story? Well, I was found on the side of a busy street. Jenny thought she would help me find my home, but nobody claimed me. So now I live with her. She's a pretty good ole' gal, but she is mighty stingy with the dog cookies. *sigh*

There are also some cats- they each have their own story. June Buggie is their chief spokesperson. He is 16 years old, crotchety, and not afraid to say what's on his mind.

All writings and photos are the copyright property of Jenny Threet (unless the writer is a guest blogger, in which case it is the property of that guest blogger) and may not be used without permission.

You can contact me at rumpydog@hotmail.com.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.