Product Reviews

My Meet-up with Natura

Jen here. Rumpy’s agreed to let me take over.

So today I am flying home from Omaha, Nebraska, after going out to meet the folks at Natura Pet Company and to tour their plant.

from rescueleague.org

from rescueleague.org

Natura was started in 1992 by John and Ann Rademakers and Peter Atkins. Their desire was to make healthy food for dogs and cats.

In 2010 the company was sold to Proctor and Gamble. The manufacturing process and the product ingredients were not changed, though improvements have been made to the plant.

Also, the Innova brand is introducing some new changes to their line of products. The potatoes and rice are out, and whole grains are in (they don’t use corn, wheat or soy).  Sounds pretty good, huh? These new changes in ingredients will begin in July and should begin showing up in stores in August.

Now I’m sure what you REALLY want to know is why I was asked to do this. Well, duh! Isn’t it obvious? It’s because of you!

I was told they have access to data on blog readership, and you guys are in their target demographic.  Which is cool, but I don’t think I’m a part of that demographic. The Natura folks are good people and they do have partnerships with animal rescue groups.  But I didn’t hear alot of talk about supporting animal welfare issues while I was there.  That disappointed me.

Anyway, later I’m going to tell you about the what I saw and learned while there.

But today my priority is to get home and get some rest- and pray June Buggie didn’t pee on my pillow.

About these ads

About Rumpy Drummond

45 thoughts on “My Meet-up with Natura

1. Good to see your priorities are in order. …on your PILLOW!!? Ugh!

Love and licks,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | May 24, 2012, 5:23 AM
  2. Too bad they’re now owned by Proctor & Gamble…the king of animal testing…

Posted by Anjie | May 24, 2012, 5:32 AM
  3. Very interested to read more about your meet-up. I was invited, but (obviously) didn’t go. (Would’ve been lovely to meet you in person!)

Posted by Sue at Talking Dogs | May 24, 2012, 5:48 AM
    • Really? I would have liked to have met you also.

Posted by rumpydog | May 24, 2012, 5:53 AM
      • First they invited me to be a member of the advisory panel (I declined), then a couple weeks later they invited me to the meet up. (On a personal level, I was tempted because I have family in the Omaha area – lol) I have no interest in becoming any kind of spokesperson for one particular brand or label, plus – at least at present – I do not use their products. In addition, the kind of participation they were talking about was something I could no way commit to in terms of time. So… I didn’t get to meet you in Nebraska!

Posted by Sue at Talking Dogs | May 28, 2012, 9:45 AM
      • Well if its any consolation, you wouldn’t have had time to visit with your family. They were intent on keeping us focused on them, almost to the point where I felt like I was in a foreign country with Minders.

Posted by rumpydog | May 28, 2012, 10:13 AM
  4. Moms a raw feeder and has a LOT to say about commercial dog food companies , and their effects on the familee pet. Lets just say none of us will ever have another bite of dog food again as long as we live. Even the “natural” stuff leaves a lot to be desired. It is scary what companies think is acceptable to feed us!

Posted by Indigo Wheeled Terrier Jones | May 24, 2012, 6:00 AM
  5. Sounds like an interesting trip Miss Jen! I hope June Buggie did NOT choose to leave you a sign of his displeasure at your leaving him home while you were on your trip????!!!

Kitty hugs, Sam

Posted by onespoiledcat | May 24, 2012, 6:01 AM
  6. Hi Jen!!!! Wow, you seem to have enjoyed to meet those folks at ‘Natura’ which sounds a good company! I’m very interested in hearing more story about them!
    P.S. *whispers* Our Shiro did pee on my auntie’s pillow!!! heehee… :)

Posted by eripanwkevin | May 24, 2012, 6:30 AM
  7. Jen, can’t wait to hear what they have to say!

Posted by animalartist | May 24, 2012, 7:22 AM
  8. And I thought having a disgusted cat poop in the bathtub was a problem…interested to hear about your observations. I too feed kibble.

Posted by blackcatsrock | May 24, 2012, 7:49 AM
  9. I agree it’s difficult to avoid products tested on animals. It’s something that most companies are not exactly forthcoming about!

Posted by Clowie | May 24, 2012, 8:05 AM
  10. Now that would be somewhere I wouldn’t want to find a sneaky pee!

Posted by Flo | May 24, 2012, 8:12 AM
  11. We all eat California Natural grain free chicken kibble – that’s a Natura Product. Mom says we all do well on it and she is very happy with it.

We didn’t know it was made in NE, not that far from us:)

Woos – Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Posted by Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning | May 24, 2012, 10:09 AM
  12. Sounds like a very interesting trip. Can’t wait to hear more on it later. I hope you get some rest on a pee-free pillow! :)

Posted by Bassetmomma | May 24, 2012, 11:06 AM
  13. That’s pretty cool!

Posted by Anne Schilde | May 24, 2012, 1:40 PM
  14. I’m very curious!

Posted by Dianda | May 24, 2012, 2:39 PM
  15. Sounds interesting! Its great you are investigating those dog food companies to see if the proof is in the pudding, or the kibble in this case

urban hounds

Posted by Urban Hounds | May 24, 2012, 3:24 PM
  16. Interesting sounding trip. Must have been quite an eye opener. I shall be interested to hear what else you have to report on it. I know of quite a few dog owners who have simply by-passed the whole commercial dog food process and prepared their own feeds from scratch.Trouble is getting the nutrition right for each individual dog, and I have known a few dogs suffer malnutrition and health problems as a result of owners unwittingly missing out vital vitamins/minerals etc. With so many nutritional stages in a dog’s life and unique individual needs it is so difficult to be spot-on with home prep’d. It is very worrying though, the amount of chemicals etc are included in commercial feeds which most people rely on, and in good faith. And as you mentioned there’s the cost issue for home prep’d. Funny thing though…their wild cousins don’t seem to have an issue with such matters…just catch, kill and eat! Lesson there maybe? :)

Posted by europasicewolf | May 24, 2012, 5:24 PM
    • I think maybe wild game is more nutritionally balanced than store bought meat. Here in the US even raw meat has added salt and chemicals, plus the hormones fed to the animals and the pesticides sprayed on their food source is problematic. At least kibble is cooked and that kid some of the bad stuff.

Posted by rumpydog | May 24, 2012, 6:00 PM
  17. Will look up Natura Pet Products pronto! June Buggie was very nice to your pillow, I am sure! Not so sure about how she treated Rumpy and DearDeDe in your absence, however!

Posted by granbee | May 24, 2012, 6:22 PM
  18. Lots of happy dog bounces and tail wags await…(and a few “OK, I’, here you may pet me and maybe I’ll forgive you and not cough up a hairball..”)
    Hugs for all – and rest up. We’ll be back to visit

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | May 24, 2012, 7:04 PM
  19. I toured P&G Pet Care last year and heard a TON about animal welfare…. i wonder if they changed the presentation or something….

Great blog!

Posted by Jaime Lynn | May 24, 2012, 8:22 PM
  20. June Buggie would do that, would she? We hope not. We will be interested to hear more about the FOOD.

Posted by Oui Oui | May 24, 2012, 10:42 PM
  21. I guess June Buggie is worse than Scratchy. He doesn’t even get on the pillows.

Posted by Bongo | May 24, 2012, 10:53 PM
  22. Yikes!! I hope June Buggie didn’t pee on your pillow, either!!

Posted by Line of Serenity (Joyce Fields) | May 24, 2012, 11:01 PM
  23. We can’t wait to read what you have to say! Very interesting!

Posted by dextersdays | May 25, 2012, 7:47 AM
  24. the biggest disappointment for me is learning that they identified your readership/blog in the animal rescue data…yet failed to mention it hardly at all to you in your visit…hmmmm…is that big corporate America speaking??…just wondering

Posted by Savannah's Paw Tracks | May 25, 2012, 7:20 PM
  25. Here’s hoping the focus remains on the animals, their welfare and well-being. Natura is certainly on the right track, and fingers crossed, right direction and pace.

Posted by Ritika Upadhyay @ Le Blog | May 26, 2012, 8:10 PM

What would you like to add to the conversation? Leave a comment below!

Want to get regular email from Rumpydog? Then follow me by email!

Bubba amongst the crowd.

about.me

Rumpy Dog

Rumpy Dog

All About Me!

Hi! My name is Rumpy, and I am an Alaskan Malamute. I used to live in Middle Tennessee, but now my family and I reside in southeast Alabama. I have this cool blog that I started in 2011. Here at rumpydog.com we talk about all things animal, with a focus on animal welfare and responsible animal companion guardianship. But we also like to throw in a heaping helping of cute! cute! cute! I mean, how could you look at me and not melt, right?

My story? Well, I was found on the side of a busy street. Jenny thought she would help me find my home, but nobody claimed me. So now I live with her. She's a pretty good ole' gal, but she is mighty stingy with the dog cookies. *sigh*

There are also some cats- they each have their own story. June Buggie is their chief spokesperson. He is 16 years old, crotchety, and not afraid to say what's on his mind.

All writings and photos are the copyright property of Jenny Threet (unless the writer is a guest blogger, in which case it is the property of that guest blogger) and may not be used without permission.

You can contact me at rumpydog@hotmail.com.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.