poetry

A Poem for Autumn

Autumn’s in the air,

leaves are turning brown.

Squirrels are gathering nuts.

birds are heading down

to now-warm southern countries.

Bears will soon be sleeping.

Days are getting shorter.

Cold air comes a’ creeping.

Yard Spiders! EEK!!!!

But happy is the dog

that smells fall in the air.

Our coats are thick and warm.

We run without a care.

The smells are fresh and new!

We chase squirrels up the trees.

We smile, those crisp, cool mornings,

and jump in piles of leaves.

Watching for Autumn!

Welcome cooler mornings!

Welcome cooler days!

Summer’s finally over,

and Arctic Dogs say YAY!!!

YAY for Fall!!!

About these ads

About Rumpy Drummond

46 thoughts on “A Poem for Autumn

1. Well said Rumpy!! Autumn is my mostest favoritest season too!

Kitty Hugs, Sammy

Posted by onespoiledcat | September 28, 2012, 6:23 AM
  2. Our dogs just love it when the cooler weather comes, we live in Portugal so even the winter isn’t too cold but it’s cold enough for the dogs to have away days over the hills and far away.

Posted by gertygiggles | September 28, 2012, 6:23 AM
  3. Wow, just great, wish I would be so gifted :o) YAY for fall!!!!

Posted by easyweimaraner | September 28, 2012, 6:25 AM
  4. Rumpy Iove your poem and I am pleased that you are happy to welcome Autumn ;-)

Posted by willowdot21 | September 28, 2012, 6:32 AM
  5. Reblogged this on delia1979.

Posted by delia1979 | September 28, 2012, 6:50 AM
  6. Yay, Rumpy… However, down here in Australia we are heading into the warmer months of Spring and Summer… ‘Sweetie’ is losing coat by the handfuls and preparing to be a ‘hot’ dog… Enjoy the cooler months… :)

Posted by carolynpageabc | September 28, 2012, 7:28 AM
  7. Ah, beautiful poem Rumpy!!!! :-)

Posted by marina kanavaki | September 28, 2012, 7:30 AM
  8. Wow! Your poem is always fabulous! It tells how much you love this cool weather so well!!!
    If you are happy, we are happy, too Rumpy!!! :)

Posted by eripanwkevin | September 28, 2012, 8:53 AM
  9. Such a cool and getting cooler fall poem you guys.. such talent!! c

Posted by ceciliag | September 28, 2012, 9:00 AM
  10. Yard spiders are creepy! But your smile will keep us warm all fall and winter long, R!!

Love and licks,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | September 28, 2012, 9:10 AM
  11. I’m excited about Autumn too! Cos Autumn leads to winter and winter means SNOW!!! Or at least I hope it does – can’t really tell for sure when you live in the UK bol

Posted by themisadventuresofmisaki | September 28, 2012, 9:12 AM
  12. Yes, we love autumn too. Crisp days, great for dog walks.
    Super poem, Rumpy x.

Posted by shacklefordlb | September 28, 2012, 9:49 AM
  13. Brill poem, Rumpy :) We prefer sun puddles, though!

Posted by CATachresis | September 28, 2012, 10:56 AM
  14. That is a very sweet poem. This month chinese people celebrate the mid autumn festival on full moon day. It will be the perfect poem to recite on that night, while we sip on wine, eat mooncakes and gaze at the moon.

I’ll be back,
    Sankissjuice

PS come grab a badge from our bloggie. Your creativity can be put to very good use ;)

Posted by Sankissjuice | September 28, 2012, 11:18 AM
  15. I am so happy that fall is here! But you know that means that winter is just around the corner. ;)

Posted by Dawn | September 28, 2012, 11:18 AM
  16. Good one Jenny, love the photo’s too! Fall seems to be creeping in everywhere, here today 23 C which is 73 F…hardly fall temps but the end of next week it’s turning cool….like 6 C or 42 F….yikes, carpe diem.

Posted by Boomdeeadda | September 28, 2012, 11:19 AM
  17. Arctic dogs aren’t the only ones saying YAY! My Mom is!!! This summer was HELL for her kidney stones! Barks and licks and love, Dakota

Posted by catchatcaren | September 28, 2012, 12:35 PM
  18. How right you are, Rumpy – these Arctic dogs say “bring on the snow”!!!

Happy weekend.

Woos – Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Posted by Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning | September 28, 2012, 1:25 PM
  19. We loved your poem Rumpy.

Posted by Topsy abby | September 28, 2012, 1:39 PM
  20. RIP summer but we do understand your delight in Autumn and even winter. What does June Buggy think though?

Posted by Animalcouriers | September 28, 2012, 5:49 PM
  21. Great poem you are very good at poetry! BTW Newfs are as happy as the Article Dogs :)

Posted by tylersat99 | September 28, 2012, 5:58 PM
  22. Rumpy it’s Arctic not article ;)

Posted by tylersat99 | September 28, 2012, 5:59 PM
  23. It is autumn here too sweet Rumpy but it still feels like summer. We will be real happy when the hot is gone and we have some cool. Enjoy your weekend. Hugs and nose kisses

Posted by Chancy and Mumsy | September 28, 2012, 6:37 PM
  24. Autumn is my favorite time of year. I can go out on my trails anytime instead of waiting until it’s almost dark and cooler. I wish I had some leaves to jump in though. That sounds fun. Great poem, Rumpy.

Posted by Bongo | September 28, 2012, 9:19 PM
  25. We love the poem and the photos. Only thing better than Autumn is Winter! Woof from the Berner Girls. xo

Posted by Moxie Dogs | September 28, 2012, 10:39 PM
  26. Squirrels? Did someone say SQUIRRELS!!!!!

Posted by dogdaz | September 28, 2012, 11:54 PM
  27. Love the poem, and the yard spiders too!

Posted by Bosun Dawg | September 29, 2012, 12:53 AM
  28. That’s quite good for a dog. Did a cat help you?

Posted by Mr Bumpy SFO (@MrBumpyCat) | September 29, 2012, 2:43 AM
  29. Brilliant! What a wonderful and talented poet!! :)

Posted by Worldly Winds | September 29, 2012, 3:50 AM
  30. The yard spiders were a huge hit with my spider-loving five-year-old….”That’s so funny!”

Posted by Natalia at Hot, Cheap & Easy | September 29, 2012, 8:09 AM
  31. Cute poem Rumpy!
    Autumn is here already too.

Posted by Dianda | September 29, 2012, 8:15 AM
  32. Fantastic poem!

Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

Posted by Oskar | September 29, 2012, 3:36 PM
  33. Yes….I definitely share the enthusiasm! Ice Wolves don’t do so good in all that hot weather…we tend to melt like icecream ;) Cool mornings and jumping in leaves…now that I can do!

Posted by europasicewolf | September 29, 2012, 4:12 PM
  34. I hope you get to enjoy plenty of cooler nights, rumpydog. Loved your poem.

Posted by earthriderjudyberman | September 29, 2012, 9:25 PM
  35. It’s our favorite time of the year!!!
    ….but I’m just a little scared of those giant field spiders!
    ; ) Katie

mew to June Buggie!

Posted by Glogirly & Katie | September 30, 2012, 12:10 AM
  36. YEA! Into the 50’s tonight!
    Molly shyly sends a paw wave….she thinks you look eerily similar to her in that last picture

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | October 1, 2012, 3:01 PM
  37. Rumpy, you are so clever, may joy leave you never!
    Thanks for the smile.

Posted by AnitaAnswers | October 1, 2012, 7:39 PM
  38. It’s always a kind of autumn in Holland, so I don’t like it, but with your poem I can stand it :)

Posted by angelswhisper2011 | October 5, 2012, 3:22 AM
  39. You are very good at poetry Rumpy! This is my favorite time of year and your poem gets it just right :)

Posted by onebluedog | October 13, 2012, 12:32 PM
  40. Fall is the best time of the year for me too: not too cold, not too hot. Now I bet if you had snow you’d be soooo happy! Thanks for stopping by and liking my post. :) :) Sandra

Posted by sandrabranum | October 14, 2012, 8:51 AM

What would you like to add to the conversation? Leave a comment below!

What? What do you want? -Malachi

about.me

Rumpy Dog

Rumpy Dog

All About Me!

Hi! My name is Rumpy, and I am an Alaskan Malamute. I used to live in Middle Tennessee, but now my family and I reside in southeast Alabama. I have this cool blog that I started in 2011. Here at rumpydog.com we talk about all things animal, with a focus on animal welfare and responsible animal companion guardianship. But we also like to throw in a heaping helping of cute! cute! cute! I mean, how could you look at me and not melt, right?

My story? Well, I was found on the side of a busy street. Jenny thought she would help me find my home, but nobody claimed me. So now I live with her. She's a pretty good ole' gal, but she is mighty stingy with the dog cookies. *sigh*

There are also some cats- they each have their own story. June Buggie is their chief spokesperson. He is 16 years old, crotchety, and not afraid to say what's on his mind.

All writings and photos are the copyright property of Jenny Threet (unless the writer is a guest blogger, in which case it is the property of that guest blogger) and may not be used without permission.

You can contact me at rumpydog@hotmail.com.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.