Animal Welfare- For It or Against It?

MEOW! My name is June Buggie, and I have something to say.

Hey, I’m talking to you!

Sometimes you humans make me wanna sharpen my claws on your sofa.

Last week Rumpy went to the Petchat Twitter Party and what he said happened left me VERY displeased! It seems some of you are STILL adamantly opposed to national groups like the Humane Society and PETA because some group you’ve never even heard of before told you they are bad and they don’t donate to local shelters.

BAH! That’s a furball I just hocked in your shoe.

Here’s a number for you to tattoo on those opposable thumbs of yours:  4 million. That’s a CONSERVATIVE estimate of how many domesticated animals are killed each year in the US because they don’t have a home.  I say estimate, because you’re not riled up enough to actually make governments keep statistics on euthanasia rates.

You go around demanding a no-kill nation, but you don’t have a clue what making that happen would entail. And even if you do, you’re sure not doing anything to make it happen.

There are 50 thousand dogs and cats born in the US EVERY DAY.  Just where do you propose the homeless ones go? Who’s going to take care of all those animals? And who’s going to pay for it? You don’t want to pay full price for a burrito but you think somehow we’re going to find a way to cover the bill for the care and upkeep of millions of dogs and cats?

Selling pups on the side of the road

Let’s face it, until we figure out a way to legislate an end to this over-abundance of animals, we won’t BE a No-Kill nation. And the very groups that you’re protesting against are the ones that ARE taking legal and political action to make the plight of animals better in the US.

And who are the ones that DON’T want legislation? The animal agriculture industry. The puppy mill industry. You know, the groups you claim to oppose but unwittingly stand in solidarity with when you oppose national animal welfare groups.

The truth of the matter is that if every animal lover in the US stood together and demanded humane animal laws and practices, it would happen. But since you humans have allowed yourselves to be duped by the enemy, we animals continue to suffer. And that really pisses me off.

MEOW!

About these ads

About Rumpy Drummond

44 thoughts on “Animal Welfare- For It or Against It?

1. Great rant, June Buggie… Hope it helps..!

Posted by carolynpageabc | November 13, 2012, 1:11 AM
  2. June Buggie, I like what you have to say. We need to have our eyes wide open and brains engaged… this is all about money. Sadly, it isn’t only the USA, it’s worldwide.

Posted by EllaDee | November 13, 2012, 1:29 AM
  3. Well done for raising awareness

Posted by mythreemoggies | November 13, 2012, 2:49 AM
  4. I take your word for it June Buggie!! xx

Posted by CATachresis | November 13, 2012, 2:50 AM
  5. BRAVO June Buggie – sadly we have this worldwide and I wish someone could heal this crazy world…

Posted by easyweimaraner | November 13, 2012, 3:10 AM
  6. Well said June Buggie! The group in question is very good at engaging emotion and once emotion is engaged brains don’t generally function so well.

Posted by Clowie | November 13, 2012, 3:20 AM
  7. I am sorry June Buggy all I can say in defence of the human race is that we are slow and stupid! Hopefully we will get it right in the end. Please keep shouting at us as time is running out.

Posted by willowdot21 | November 13, 2012, 4:05 AM
  8. We stand behind you one hundred percent June Buggy!!
    xoxo Chloe and LadyBug

Posted by bichonpawz | November 13, 2012, 4:18 AM
  9. Well said June Buggie! We humans have a remarkable ability to block out what we don’t want to see. Sadly, it’s not just the abyssal treatment of animals. Even in the world of pet blogging many don’t want to be reminded of these problems. But with that said, I am encouraged by the increase of people who believe and promote rescue and spay/neuter. Now we all need to support large nationwide group who educate and local, grass-roots groups dealing with the problem in our neighborhoods. Great post today!
    Purrs to you!
    Mistletoe and Hitch

Posted by mistletoeandhitch | November 13, 2012, 4:28 AM
  10. Bravo! and AMEN! Absolutely perfect post. I’m sharing…

Posted by Sue at Talking Dogs | November 13, 2012, 5:14 AM
  11. I’d never vote for a cat for president. Yellow labs forever.

Posted by Carl D'Agostino | November 13, 2012, 5:27 AM
  12. I hear you, June Buggie. In our area, I’ve reposted two requests within a month for animal shelters that are running low on food. (We donated to the one where we got our two cats about 4 years ago.) Many shelters do the best they can with what they have. They need help. People responsibly having their pets spayed and neutered would be a terrific start.

Posted by earthriderjudyberman | November 13, 2012, 6:06 AM
  13. Right On June Buggie ……
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    xx Meow xx Cat

Posted by Cat Forsley | November 13, 2012, 6:26 AM
  14. How I wish the human race could be different. As you know, I try to raise awareness for the no-kill shelters but I am most definitely for all the groups that help and rescue any animal in need. It is impossible, at the moment, to have nothing but no-kill shelters. As said, there are simply too many animals and not enough people and money to handle the spay/neuter/release programs that would be required to stop the nightmare, let alone to stop the puppy mills, etc that simply keep adding to the problem. Unfortunately, it is people who create the demand and, therefore, the supply. I applaud all the people who try so hard to help, in whatever way they can.

Posted by Long Life Cats and Dogs | November 13, 2012, 6:32 AM
  15. tell your mom to ‘run’ for something. We’ll vote!

Posted by jimmie chew | November 13, 2012, 6:57 AM
  16. Hi June Buggie! *waving*
    Oh no….it’s very sad to hear that still…some people don’t believe what Humane Society does for anilams…and the picture that “selling pups on the side of the road” is unbearable….
    Like you said Animal lovers have to get together for us!!!!
    Or there won’t be any progress for us….

Posted by eripanwkevin | November 13, 2012, 8:09 AM
  17. Well said!!! That is exactly the point I made in one of my posts. The HSUS and PETA help fight the legal battles that we as individuals can’t really afford to do. Want to get rid of BS Legislation? Want to make laws tough on people who abuse animals? Want our food to be raised humanely? Want to spread the word about the benefits of spaying and neutering? These organizations fight for animals and have made a lot of headway over the years.

Posted by Dawn | November 13, 2012, 8:25 AM
  18. You do have a point there…

Posted by paws2smile | November 13, 2012, 10:45 AM
  19. Pippa would hate to agree with a cat, so I will do it instead. From time to time I write about not buying pedigree dogs, and that every bought dog (from wherever) means another one is not rehomed or killed at a shelter. People tell me this is not a reasonable connection to make. i think it is. Either you want to home a dog/cat or you don’t. Why does it need to have papers and cost a fortune? We’ve been offered money for Pippa, and asked where we bought him from. My partner takes great delight in pointing out he comes from the street.

Criticising ‘responsible breeders’ and those who buy from them is very controversial but until there is no need for shelters (ha!) I will continue to do so.

Pippa’s comment would be that streetdogs like him and Rumpy are the best.

Posted by roughseasinthemed | November 13, 2012, 11:02 AM
  20. Ban pet shops. Everywhere. That would be a good start. It would kill a lot of the profit in the puppy farm industry and that would be a very good thing. Anyone who has ever done rescue work knows the nightmare of the tens of thousands of sad faces that you can’t help because there are so many of them and we all have limited resources. So let’s start somewhere: ban sales of kittens and puppies at pet stores!

Posted by Teepee12 | November 13, 2012, 11:15 AM
  21. Excellent post and I’m with the other bloggers when it comes to regulating breeders and pet shops when most shelters are full to overflowing

Posted by crazytraintotinkytown | November 13, 2012, 11:57 AM
  22. Excellent post to remind people of how many animals are homeless :-(

Oink oink,
    Katie and Coccolino the mini pig

Posted by katiebblogs | November 13, 2012, 12:04 PM
  23. I agree June Buggie! Animals deserve to have a voice and we need to stand up and fight for their rights.

Posted by Alison | November 13, 2012, 2:13 PM
  24. Desert, in the form of an award, will await you on my site in the morning. Please drop by Serendipity for a well-deserved honor. And thanks for all the fun I’ve had here over the months. I don’t always comment, but I am your faithful visitor.

Posted by Teepee12 | November 13, 2012, 3:01 PM
  25. I liked your rant too! Let’s spay and neuter politicians!

Posted by Brian | November 13, 2012, 3:04 PM
  26. This made me think about some of my opinions, which is a good thing

Posted by Gizmo | November 13, 2012, 5:50 PM
  27. Great Rant June Buggy!
    Me is with yous 100%
    Kisses
    Nellie

Posted by catfromhell | November 13, 2012, 8:13 PM
  28. Couldn’t have said it better myself, Rumpy!

Posted by Dianda | November 14, 2012, 9:21 AM
  29. We should only work for positive outcomes for all animals, no matter who is doing the work. If people want someone to complain about, they should complain about the people who don’t spay and neuter–they are the root of the problem. Imagine what we could accomplish if we weren’t spending so much time trying to clean up after them and take care of the animals they don’t.

Posted by animalartist | November 14, 2012, 11:02 AM
  30. Good post.

Posted by Lynda | November 14, 2012, 7:58 PM
  31. Ohhhhhhh this tugged at my heart. Breeding is such a sore spot for me. Those puppies on the side of the road just about had me in tears. Once we visited a flea market and they had all these puppies- dobermans, boxers, some designer itty bitty breeds… I had to hold each baby and it broke my heart to leave them there. I seriously contemplated a covert puppy napping operation. If I’d had the $$ I would have paid for each and every one, but the problem with that is that the money just encourages these people. Regulating it is really the only way.

Posted by Heather @ SugarDish(Me) | November 16, 2012, 7:13 AM
    • Yes, and these folks play on your emotions. That’s how they make a sale and that’s how they get to keep doing this to people over and over again. I also feel the emotional tug with these guys. It’s difficult for me to walk away. And yet, I know that for every one I see and feel for, there are millions more that are in the same predicament.

Posted by rumpydog | November 16, 2012, 7:45 AM
  32. June Buggie, you got my vote! Continue yer purrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect rant!

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | December 10, 2012, 8:00 PM

1. Pingback: Animal Welfare- For It or Against It? | Catgurl40's Blog - November 13, 2012

2. Pingback: Better late than never? Accepting (finally) the Super Sweet Award! « Serendipity - November 13, 2012

What would you like to add to the conversation? Leave a comment below!

Want to get regular email from Rumpydog? Then follow me by email!

Jen got flowers for her birthday! Woo woo!

about.me

Rumpy Dog

Rumpy Dog

All About Me!

Hi! My name is Rumpy, and I am an Alaskan Malamute. I used to live in Middle Tennessee, but now my family and I reside in southeast Alabama. I have this cool blog that I started in 2011. Here at rumpydog.com we talk about all things animal, with a focus on animal welfare and responsible animal companion guardianship. But we also like to throw in a heaping helping of cute! cute! cute! I mean, how could you look at me and not melt, right?

My story? Well, I was found on the side of a busy street. Jenny thought she would help me find my home, but nobody claimed me. So now I live with her. She's a pretty good ole' gal, but she is mighty stingy with the dog cookies. *sigh*

There are also some cats- they each have their own story. June Buggie is their chief spokesperson. He is 16 years old, crotchety, and not afraid to say what's on his mind.

All writings and photos are the copyright property of Jenny Threet (unless the writer is a guest blogger, in which case it is the property of that guest blogger) and may not be used without permission.

You can contact me at rumpydog@hotmail.com.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.