Does Santa Bring Puppies and Kittens?

MEOW! My name is June Buggie, and I have something to say!

Santa is not a pet delivery service!

It’s time for kids to write out their wish lists to Santa, and many of those lists include pets. Well here’s the scoop, kids- pets can’t ride on Santa’s sleigh. He drives so fast it makes them sick, and you don’t want puppy puke all over your new iPad, do you?

Santa doesn’t bring pets at Christmas kids!

Moms and dads and other caring adults may decide that this would make a great holiday gift for an adoring child.  June Buggie says- DON’T DO IT!

Pets are a big responsibility that should not be taken lightly. A cat can live 20 years…. or more!  I’m 15 years old and still pretty light on my feet!  A dog can live 15 years or more. A pet is a long-term commitment, and your sweet child of today will soon be a college student or a struggling artist or… who knows what? What will happen to that cat or dog then?

But you’re buying an expensive, pure breed dog? Consider this: up to 25% of dogs surrendered to shelters are pure breed dogs. The problem is that puppies and kittens tear stuff up, and it’s unrealistic to expect a child to know how to properly train an animal to not eat the sofa, or to not pee on your fancy carpet, or to not steal food off the counter. That takes commitment from all family members.

Santa’s elves have enough trouble caring for the reindeer!

Introducing a pet into the home should be a family decision. Nothing wrong with a family giving themselves a new family member for the holidays, provided they’re committed to caring for that pet for the long haul.

MEOW from Santa’s Helper!

About these ads

About Rumpy Drummond

51 thoughts on “Does Santa Bring Puppies and Kittens?

1. Good advice….the shelters are full of animals who would dearly love to join a family at holiday time….it should be a family decision and not one taken lightly either. No doubt the flood of unwanted “gift” animals after the holiday is caused by not well-considered or thought out intentions! ‘Tis the season to look before you leap when it comes to Christmas pets.

Pam (and Sam)

Posted by onespoiledcat | November 29, 2012, 6:06 AM
  2. What a great post and warning!

Posted by jmgoyder | November 29, 2012, 6:18 AM
  3. I wish this “christmas-pet-thing” wouldn’t happen this year. But unfortunately the pet-stores are publishing their disastrous ads since weeks. Please Santa Paws bring them some sanity…

Posted by easyweimaraner | November 29, 2012, 6:22 AM
  4. Good advice. Puppies and kittens bought for Christmas are turned into the shelters by February.

1. DON’T BUY A PUPPY OR KITTEN for a Xmas present.
    2. If you want a puppy or kitten, go to a shelter in late January or February.

Happy Holidays

Posted by Lynda | November 29, 2012, 6:31 AM
  5. I wish Santa would listen to June Buggie! I’ve seen some really sickening ads this year.

Posted by Clowie | November 29, 2012, 6:36 AM
  6. Reblogged this on Angies Grapevine.

Posted by Angie | November 29, 2012, 6:48 AM
  7. The sugar gliders are back for sale at our mall. Animals are not toys. Thanks for an informative post.

Posted by an uncommon girl | November 29, 2012, 7:27 AM
  8. Thank you, June Buggie. Very good advice!

Posted by Cathy Ulrich | November 29, 2012, 7:58 AM
  9. You’re so right June Buggie – each dog/cat adopted from a shelter this Christmas is as good as a huge donation to that shelter!

Posted by Animalcouriers | November 29, 2012, 8:00 AM
  10. OMD! My sweet June Buggie…I can’t believe that you’re already 15years old! You look very young!
    Yes June Buggie, having animals as one of their family member means you should be responsible for it! I hope that lots of shelter doggies and kitties will find their responsible family!

Posted by eripanwkevin | November 29, 2012, 8:30 AM
  11. Dear June Nuggie …………..
    You’re a smart cookie …….:) xx and i adore You xx and U are completely Right x
    MEOW …
    C xx

Posted by Cat Forsley | November 29, 2012, 8:33 AM
  12. You are so right! It should not be a surprise gift from outside the family either! This goes for gerbils and hamsters and bunnies and……all other critters too!

Posted by katecrimmins | November 29, 2012, 9:04 AM
  13. I am purrleased to say I have not seen any ads from pet shops where I love, in fact, Mom says she has not seen a pet shop with love cats and dogs around here at all(except for adopt days with rescues). Your message June Buggie is spot on! Paw pats, Savvy

Posted by Savannah's Paw Tracks | November 29, 2012, 9:24 AM
  14. I agree June Buggie.

BUT we were so hoping to have a new Boxer friend for the holidays, and it’s just not going to happen :-(

Maybe next year x.

Posted by shacklefordlb | November 29, 2012, 9:34 AM
  15. Stella the Great Newfenees here via my scribe. That’s great advice, June Buggie. Especially if you end up with a pet like me. I’ve put my two-leggers through all kinds of difficulty because I keep getting sick. I’m so blessed – they love me to bits and are wholly committed to looking after me. Just yesterday the vets said that most people would have given up on me by now. I’m so thankful I have the two-leggers I do! We have a great! happy! rewarding! life together! ~:o)=

Posted by canadianbooklady | November 29, 2012, 9:42 AM
  16. Well said June. It breaks my heart that so many pets get abandoned through the year & especially after Christmas. I though long & hard before I got my kitties & I wouldn’t be without them now. Merry Christmas & I love your elf look *hugs*

Posted by @Cat_MarsEchelon | November 29, 2012, 10:25 AM
  17. I love this post, Buggie. You did a great job!

Posted by Dianda | November 29, 2012, 10:37 AM
  18. Well said. It’s an important message too. & girrrrllll, you sure look good for 15….I would never have guessed

Posted by Boomdeeadda | November 29, 2012, 10:46 AM
  19. High paws for Junie’s message.
    Getting a pet is just the beginning of the expense and responsibility. (and the days are so short now – and weather not so enjoyable in many places!)

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | November 29, 2012, 11:04 AM
  20. Really good advice, pets are not gift for kids, they are good for kids but a grownup responsibility.

Posted by Doggy's Style | November 29, 2012, 11:10 AM
  21. Well said, June Buggie! More people need to realize that pets are a long term commitment, not temporary entertainment.

Posted by Paprika Furstenburg | November 29, 2012, 11:28 AM
  22. Here, here! This post should be published in all the newspapers and Huffington Post. It’s that important.

Posted by Cathy Keisha (@CathyKeisha) | November 29, 2012, 2:09 PM
  23. Very well said, June Buggie!! xx

Posted by CATachresis | November 29, 2012, 3:03 PM
  24. So true, JB! Pets are great, but they are quite different from getting a wrestling doll or coloring book from Santa. Sometimes Mom says I am a full-time job. That’s a good thing…. Right?

Love and licks,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | November 29, 2012, 3:07 PM
  25. Well said sweet Savannah!!!!!!

Posted by Brian | November 29, 2012, 3:18 PM
  26. YOU TELL ‘EM JUNE BUGGIE! *snoogles*

Posted by Gizmo | November 29, 2012, 3:18 PM
  27. You are so smart June Buggie!

Posted by Dogs N Pawz | November 29, 2012, 5:00 PM
  28. You tell ‘em June Buggie! We agree 100%!

Posted by maxwellnfaraday | November 29, 2012, 5:47 PM
  29. Good point June Buggie and a timely issue for Santa and his helpers to consider. I believe anyone, inlcuding kids, should visit an animal shelter before acquiring an animal companion-family member for whatever occasion or no occasion at all, and see the consequences of a poorly thought out gift or impulse purchase, and after considering the repercussions and making an informed decision, give something rather than take and re-home a deserving furry-one :)

Posted by EllaDee | November 29, 2012, 8:52 PM
  30. Reblogged this on Waggit.

Posted by getwaggit | November 29, 2012, 9:25 PM
  31. Well said!

Posted by Jazz Cat Jay | November 30, 2012, 2:06 AM
  32. This is sooo true!

Posted by themisadventuresofmisaki | December 1, 2012, 2:49 PM
  33. I will post on Facebook. I feel guilty as I’d just posted an adoption special this month for shelter pets.
    You’re right – pets are a long-time responsibility.

Posted by earthriderjudyberman | December 1, 2012, 9:44 PM
  34. Thanks for the great advise!
    Happy New Year to you and your family!

Posted by Jennifer Bichara | December 29, 2012, 10:25 AM

1. Pingback: Does Santa Bring Puppies and Kittens? | Catgurl40's Blog - November 29, 2012

2. Pingback: easyblog THOUGHTFUL THURSDAY « Easy Blog - November 29, 2012

3. Pingback: Tail Thumper of the Week #11 « Stella the Great Newfenees - December 6, 2012

4. Pingback: Does Santa Bring Puppies and Kittens? « Vet Tech Check - December 15, 2012

Seen at a local business #wisdom #words2liveby

about.me

Rumpy Dog

Rumpy Dog

All About Me!

Hi! My name is Rumpy, and I am an Alaskan Malamute. I used to live in Middle Tennessee, but now my family and I reside in southeast Alabama. I have this cool blog that I started in 2011. Here at rumpydog.com we talk about all things animal, with a focus on animal welfare and responsible animal companion guardianship. But we also like to throw in a heaping helping of cute! cute! cute! I mean, how could you look at me and not melt, right?

My story? Well, I was found on the side of a busy street. Jenny thought she would help me find my home, but nobody claimed me. So now I live with her. She's a pretty good ole' gal, but she is mighty stingy with the dog cookies. *sigh*

There are also some cats- they each have their own story. June Buggie is their chief spokesperson. He is 16 years old, crotchety, and not afraid to say what's on his mind.

All writings and photos are the copyright property of Jenny Threet (unless the writer is a guest blogger, in which case it is the property of that guest blogger) and may not be used without permission.

You can contact me at rumpydog@hotmail.com.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.