Interviews

The ASPCA- Helping Animals in Many Ways!

Oh Dog! I’m back with Emily Schneider, Senior Manager for Media and Communications with the ASPCA. Yesterday we talked about how the ASPCA gets involved in helping during a natural disaster. Today we’ll get more in-depth with what that involves. But first, here’s a video of an actual Staten Island rescue!

Scene from the Staten Island rescue (ASPCA photo)

Scene from the Staten Island rescue (ASPCA photo)

Rumpy: Emily, yesterday we talked about the weeks of planning that went into preparing for a natural disaster response like you launched for Hurricane Sandy. Let’s talk about what it takes to get people actually out there responding to help animals in need.

Emily: The ASPCA Field Investigations and Response team has an incredible team of staff and volunteers who are available to deploy at a moment’s notice. The team also had a extensive network of response partners—other animal welfare groups and agencies—who have sent their responders to assist us in large-scale disaster responses. There are too many groups to list them all here, but just to give an example, the ASPCA was able to help more than 1,300 animals displaced by the Joplin tornado last year with the assistance of 89 agencies from across the country who sent responders on the ground.

This kitty is getting some needed loves!

This kitty is getting some needed loves! (ASPCA photo)

Rumpy: That’s a lot of animals helped! Now tell us what happens with the animals when you rescue them?

Emily: In disaster response operations, we focus our efforts in reuniting lost pets with their families, or offering temporary sheltering so pet owners can focus on getting back on their feet without having to stress about caring for their pets. It’s hard to provide a percentage as every response operation is different. For animals that are not reclaimed by their owners, the ASPCA helps to find placement for the animals.

Helping people care for their pets is a major focus!

Helping people care for their pets is a major focus! (ASPCA photo)

Rumpy: And who pays for all of that?

Emily: More than two million supporters strong, the ASPCA is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation and rely strictly on donations. The ASPCA is a national leader in the areas of anti-cruelty, community outreach and animal health services.

Rumpy: It’s sure comforting to know that there are so many people out there that are dedicated to making sure us animals are taken care of. Why does the ASPCA do all this?

Come out kitty! We're here to help! (ASPCA photo)

Come out kitty! We’re here to help! (ASPCA photo)

Emily: Founded in 1866, the ASPCA is the first animal welfare organization in North America and serves as the nation’s leading voice for animals. Our mission is to provide effective means for the prevention of cruelty to animals throughout the United States.

Rumpy: Emily, I am simply amazed at all the hard work that goes into keeping us safe. Thank you so much for being my guest, and thanks to all the hard-working men and women of the ASPCA and their partners who help us in times of crisis.

Thanks for taking care of us ASPCA! (ASPCA photo)

Thanks for taking care of us ASPCA! (ASPCA photo)

Folks, the ASPCA has responded after other disasters as well. You can find more information about those responses here. For more information about how you can be prepared in the event of a natural disaster, check out this informative checklist. There is still much to be done to help animals affected by Hurricane Sandy. If you’d like to help, here’s some info on how you can.

All photos and video was shot by ASPCA staff and is used here by permission.

click here to check out other great blogs!

click here to check out other great blogs!

About these ads

About Rumpy Drummond

34 thoughts on “The ASPCA- Helping Animals in Many Ways!

1. Great post! Shared.

Posted by Sue at Talking Dogs | December 29, 2012, 5:10 AM
  2. Thanks for all this wonderful information, R. And thanks ASPCA! We love knowing that people like you are out there.

Love and licks,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | December 29, 2012, 5:40 AM
  3. More great information. We are fortunate to so far never have been in such a tragedy but you just never know and it is good that there are organizations that help us furry ones as most just think about the humans – I guess the humans are important too, though :)

Posted by Emmadog | December 29, 2012, 6:44 AM
  4. Once, during one of the hurricanes, Florida Today newspaper allowed its employees to house their pets in the building. That was really a relief to us. It’s great to know that others also have a dependable option for their pets. Thanks, Rumpy, for the info.

Posted by earthriderjudyberman | December 29, 2012, 7:21 AM
  5. Thank you to Emily and the staff and volunteers at the ASPCA for all that they do! Great interview Rumpy. Happy New Year to All and special blessings to all the animals who are on the streets and in shelters who need a furever home. May 2013 be kind to them all.

Posted by Zee and Zoey - Deb Barnes | December 29, 2012, 8:05 AM
  6. When I started twitter, I often saw the name “ASPCA” that somepawdy mentioned about on timeline, but I wasn’t sure what it standed for and what their activity was. Your posts from yesterday and today made me realized how fanulous this group is! I know that in US, unfortunately you have terrible hurricanes several times a year and they gives big damages to both humans and animals. However I feel so glad to read and see these ASPCA people doing very hard works to save us animals from disasters!!!
    This post encourages us animals and people, too! Thanks so much these info and pictures, Rumpy! :)

Posted by eripanwkevin | December 29, 2012, 8:07 AM
  7. Another great post, thanks for sharing it!

Posted by Emily @ Adventures of a Dog Mom | December 29, 2012, 8:30 AM
  8. They are such heros and I am so glad they are they to help when the help is needed the most.

Posted by Brian | December 29, 2012, 8:39 AM
  9. Great interview!, They do so much good

urban hounds

Posted by Urban Hounds | December 29, 2012, 8:45 AM
  10. Great Post!!

Posted by Angie | December 29, 2012, 9:07 AM
  11. Wow. I can’t imagine all the hours and coordinated efforts it takes to try to find these pets or reunite them with their owners. Great article. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by ilovecats | December 29, 2012, 9:19 AM
  12. I’ll never forget the sight of animals stranded in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina 7 years ago. It was heartbreaking. Fortunately, officials are now starting to realize animals are important and need to be rescued, too. Personally, if I had to evacuate my home, I wouldn’t leave my dog here and just hope he survives. Never leave your pets behind. You can replace furniture and clothes, but not your animals!

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | December 29, 2012, 2:28 PM
  13. Hey Rumpy, Jet here.

Wonderful interview, thank you so much. We appreciate all their amazing good work, too. This time we chose to support another great big organization, however, we’ve donated to ASPCA in the past, too. Living in Hurricane land, Mom worries about the what if’s… and makes a plan each year. Does the ASPCA support chipping as a way to identify guardians with rescued fur family members?

Posted by heyitsjethere | December 29, 2012, 3:51 PM
  14. Thanks, RumpyDog, we, too, have been blessed with local help during times of flood and illness. Very informative post.

Posted by Roberta | December 29, 2012, 3:55 PM
  15. Terrific interview buddy! The ASPCA does great work for all the animals in need and educating people too!

Posted by tilda2 | December 29, 2012, 5:29 PM
  16. Such a great organization. So many wonderful people dedicated to making a difference. Great post, dear Rumpy!
    xo, Katie & Glogirly

Posted by Glogirly and Katie | December 29, 2012, 8:59 PM
  17. Great post! I love seeing people helping pets!

Posted by Laura Bruner | December 29, 2012, 9:39 PM
  18. Wow, Rumpy amazing interview as always. So informative.

Posted by BunkThePug | December 29, 2012, 11:12 PM
  19. Again a great post, Rumpy!

Posted by Dianda | December 30, 2012, 5:36 AM

1. Pingback: The ASPCA- Helping Animals in Many Ways! | Catgurl40's Blog - December 29, 2012

Seen at a local business #wisdom #words2liveby

about.me

Rumpy Dog

Rumpy Dog

All About Me!

Hi! My name is Rumpy, and I am an Alaskan Malamute. I used to live in Middle Tennessee, but now my family and I reside in southeast Alabama. I have this cool blog that I started in 2011. Here at rumpydog.com we talk about all things animal, with a focus on animal welfare and responsible animal companion guardianship. But we also like to throw in a heaping helping of cute! cute! cute! I mean, how could you look at me and not melt, right?

My story? Well, I was found on the side of a busy street. Jenny thought she would help me find my home, but nobody claimed me. So now I live with her. She's a pretty good ole' gal, but she is mighty stingy with the dog cookies. *sigh*

There are also some cats- they each have their own story. June Buggie is their chief spokesperson. He is 16 years old, crotchety, and not afraid to say what's on his mind.

All writings and photos are the copyright property of Jenny Threet (unless the writer is a guest blogger, in which case it is the property of that guest blogger) and may not be used without permission.

You can contact me at rumpydog@hotmail.com.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.