Product Reviews

Recall! Shmeecall!

Recently Jen wrote that our food had been recalled.

Does it matter what you feed your companion animals?

Does it matter what you feed your companion animals?

Several days after the initial recall notice, the Natura Company emailed that the recall had been increased to include more of the product. Jen was worried, and she called the company’s recall hotline and was told that since neither of us appeared to be sick, our food would be fine. The company sent her two coupons for $2 off future purchases.

But Jen didn’t feel comfortable, so she decided that with her next purchase she would change our food. And she’s glad she made that decision, because last night she got yet another email from the company saying Natura has again expanded the recall.  While we still have some Evo, she’s throwing it out and changing our food today.

I am taste testing a new food from Petbrosia. I’ll tell you more about that after I’ve eaten it for awhile. DeDe is now eating Nutrisca. Petbrosia also sent food for June Buggie to try. Wow…. pretty daring!

What we eat is important to Jen.... and to us!

What we eat is important to Jen…. and to us!

Now I don’t know why the company chose to handle the recall the way they have, and there may still be nothing wrong with our food, but the way the company has handled this recall has left a bad taste in Jen’s mouth. If the concern was this great, why didn’t the original recall cover all products at risk?

Of course, if you do change your dog or cat’s food, you may want to carefully read the label. You may be feeding dog meat to your animal. WHAT??? Yes, check out this editorial from Slate.

I know. It’s all so difficult to navigate the food maze.

But it’s only difficult if you care what you feed.

About these ads

About Rumpy Drummond

56 thoughts on “Recall! Shmeecall!

1. Does the cat share the food with the dog or the dog share with the cat :) ?

Posted by YellowCable | April 20, 2013, 7:38 AM
  2. We are furry worried here – we didn’t get the new Evo yet fur me – and that’s all I am allowed. The doggies eat Innova – and Gypsy just got furry sick. Mom is calling on Monday.

Posted by Donna (@MorganthePirate) | April 20, 2013, 7:39 AM
    • You may want to take Gypsy to the vet just to be sure! I understand the problem with Morgan since it’s difficult to find foods DeDe can eat. At least there are more options for special diet for dogs. Hopefully there will be more options for cats soon.

Posted by rumpydog | April 20, 2013, 7:44 AM
  3. How frustrating pal. Makes me mad that we can’t trust the food we eat anymore.

Posted by mariodacat | April 20, 2013, 7:53 AM
  4. We humans can’t trust our own food, so imagine the shortcuts pet food manufacturers may take when their subjects can’t even tell you they think something is wrong. When big money and big business are involved, it’s all about money, and that’s not good enough for me.

Posted by Bernadette | April 20, 2013, 7:58 AM
  5. Oh poor sweetie. I try to keep up with the pet food recalls to share with others. So far iams hasn’t had a recall but I keep an eye out. Good luck on the new food.

Posted by ilovecats | April 20, 2013, 8:56 AM
  6. I’m always scared for recalls of food. But sadly currently this happen to human food too (fake bio-eggs and horse meat in instant meals)

Posted by easyweimaraner | April 20, 2013, 9:18 AM
  7. What a mess! We just keep our paws crossed that our food stays safe!

Posted by Emmadog | April 20, 2013, 9:36 AM
  8. Cool :) !!!

Posted by tutankhamon61 | April 20, 2013, 9:41 AM
  9. New food is exciting. I hope all tummies are feeling fine all the way around. xoxo

Love and licks and a little drool,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | April 20, 2013, 9:50 AM
  10. We haven’t heard any recalled pet food here…but we worry only if we don’t know it or our companies don’t say anything and don’t do recall….weird…There are many pet foods imported from USA and if those products are announced the recall, we surly should hear the same….but we wonder why we never heard the recall?

Posted by eripanwkevin | April 20, 2013, 9:54 AM
  11. Sure would be nice to be able to trust our FOOD wouldn’t it??? There’s enough uncertainty about everything else! ;)

Kitty Hugs, Sammy

Posted by onespoiledcat | April 20, 2013, 10:03 AM
  12. I recently had a much better experience with IAMS…I was given one container of their new Shakeables Treats at Global Pet Expo…turns out the ones I had were from the batch that was recalled…When I contacted them it didn’t matter that I hadn’t even purchased the product. They immediately sent me a coupon for a free container of Shakeables no questions asked…I’d be feeling pretty unfriendly to Natura now too Rumpy

Posted by Gizmo | April 20, 2013, 10:21 AM
  13. Hope everyone is safe.

BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!

Posted by fgassette | April 20, 2013, 10:57 AM
  14. We are in the same boat here, Rumpy. And Mom is not too happy because she just ordered and received three big bags of our CA Natural from Mr. Chewy. Mr. Chewy said they will honor the vouchers we get from Natura, but what are we going to eat in the meantime? Mom worries because Ciara and Lightning don’t do well with food changes – it usually takes a few weeks to make very slow change:(

Woos – Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Posted by Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning | April 20, 2013, 11:10 AM
  15. Hey pal! High paw to you! I’ve nominated you for a WordPress Family Award. Thank you for all you do to bring joy to the lives of others. http://wileyschmidt.wordpress.com/2013/04/20/gods-gift-to-me/

Posted by Wiley Schmidt | April 20, 2013, 12:10 PM
  16. What we eat is very important. Aren’t you glad that we have peeps that care so much about us.
    Blessings,
    Goose

Posted by Goose | April 20, 2013, 12:12 PM
  17. Hi Rumpy! Thank you so much for this important post! I also wanted to let you know that I passed along The Missy Award to you! You sooo deserve it! Pls click here for more details: http://iadoptedadog.com/2013/04/20/life-embarked-receives-the-missy-award/

Posted by Jessica | April 20, 2013, 1:27 PM
  18. Totally loving your picture. It is so nice when dogs can co-exist with cats and be friendly

Posted by agatapokutycka | April 20, 2013, 1:48 PM
  19. Ever since Charlie got sick because of dried pet food I have been wary…especially after reading this article on what goes in to pet food. Almost all pet food comes from the same sources, only people don’t realise it.

Dried food is now believed to be one of the reasons our pets now get diabetes, and why cancer rates have risen so dramatically since dried food became such a favourite with pet owners. Mine are now all on raw food diets and the change is great.

Posted by Jo Bryant | April 20, 2013, 2:10 PM
  20. Ugh…. and that first recall post of Jen’s was how I found your blog Rumpy…

I was so happy and relieved when my girl’s food was not on that original list. Now I am just as dismayed as Jen.

We supplement a homemade anti-cancer diet with Evo Grain-Free Turkey and Chicken Small Bites because it is the lowest carbohydrate and highest fat kibble on the market–perfect for her special cancer-fighting diet. Many owners of cancer-dogs do the same.

This makes me sick, but better to know than not. Thanks for the information Rumpy and Jen–I may not have learned of it otherwise–I’ll be sure to pass it along.

Posted by runningonsober | April 20, 2013, 2:39 PM
  21. Thanks for your post. Jen was right to through out your food. Getting sick is not good. Besides the vet is more expensive than the food. I hope mom throws out my food if she’s suspicious.
    Hugs and licks, BJ.

Posted by BJ Pup | April 20, 2013, 3:38 PM
  22. Thanks for always letting us know about the recalls! I am always worried about the stuff I’m eating because I feel like I have not found an awesome brand to stick to yet.

Posted by BunkThePug | April 20, 2013, 4:05 PM
  23. Yikes! Stay safe. We may have to start cooking our pets’ foods.

Posted by reneejohnsonwrites | April 20, 2013, 8:13 PM
  24. Crikey Rumpydog…it’s so hard to navigate the world of petfood..Forrest T.S.Green and Doc get a good reputable dry food and we mix it with fresh vegetables and fresh meat…we are so fussy about their diet that when we moved nearly two years ago and could not find a good fresh meat supplier we made the decision to travel the 4 hour return trip by car back to our old supplier.We portion it and freeze it and have a good months supply.Dinnermintz our Ginger tabby can only have restricted food due to getting urinary tract issues poor girl so she’s on a special diet different to the other three girls..it’s like a three ring circus twice a day at meal times!! but their health is paramount..i even make my own bone shaped doggie treats..the boys lie in the kitchen and wait for them to bake lol :) hope your food issues get sorted out,it is frustrating to say the least !

Posted by fozziemum | April 20, 2013, 11:50 PM
  25. Regardless of who the food is eaten by, there should be transparency and integrity. Consumers should not have to be scientifc detectives consumer investigator advocates, we shew just be able to hand over cash with confidence, surely a fair trade.

Posted by EllaDee | April 21, 2013, 4:24 AM
  26. I don`t trust ANY of the dog food manufacturers. I think Jen is smart to question it and be comfortable with her choices.

Posted by Jodi | April 21, 2013, 7:25 AM
  27. No sence taking a chance.

Posted by Sand Spring Chesapeakes | April 21, 2013, 8:09 AM
  28. Awww, we love to share our food, well actually I (me, Max) like to share Bella’s food with her (after finishing mine) and wish my biped would leave us along when we’re eating so I could get there more often. Wag wag and me here, Bella, thankfully we’re not on that brand food but will get our biped to reblog to help others out and we give you a big tail wagging salute for helping to keep us and our other fury cousins out there safe. Max & Bella (& concerned biped)

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | April 21, 2013, 10:28 AM
  29. Reblogged this on The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap and commented:
    Natura has expanded its recall. Our friend Rumpy is watching out for all his fury friends. Thanks Rumpy and your typist biped Jen.

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | April 21, 2013, 10:30 AM
  30. So sorry about your food sweet Rumpy. Hope the new food works out for you and you like it. Thank you for letting us know about the recall. We don’t use that food but we are still glad to know. Hugs and nose kisses

Posted by Chancy and Mumsy | April 21, 2013, 12:06 PM
  31. With all honesty I don’t know how one couldn’t care what their beloved furry family eats. We all need the same things regardless of what our outer coat is.
    Yisraela

Posted by 2embracethelight | April 21, 2013, 3:05 PM
  32. Seriously? All they gave you was some coupons for $2 off? I realize this recall is costing them money, but if they don’t make their customers happy, they will lose all those customers (and their income) in the long run. Sorry to hear about the food.They probably expanded the recall after doing more testing. They were reported about one batch, tested it, found it was bad, and recalled it. Then started testing other batches, found they were bad too, then recalled even more.

Posted by ILoveDogs | April 21, 2013, 4:09 PM
  33. Better safe than sorry! I use this site to research dog foods and keep up with recalls.

Posted by Misty Shores Chesapeakes | April 21, 2013, 5:31 PM
  34. There is so much information out there (both accurate and incorrect) that people really need to make sure they are getting reliable information. That article by Slate is just plain wrong and the myth about euthanized pets in food is that of urban legend status by now. I work at a vet and there just isn’t such a thing! Read some of the comments to Slate and you’ll see the uproar. But, always better safe than sorry in respecting a recall, even though all of our dogs probably have or have had salmonella at one point just from eating bird poop thats in the yard! :)

Posted by Frances | April 24, 2013, 4:51 AM
  35. that’s pretty amazing that you get your dog and cat to eat from the same plate!

Posted by butimbeautiful | April 27, 2013, 7:27 PM

What would you like to add to the conversation? Leave a comment below!

Want to get regular email from Rumpydog? Then follow me by email!

Meow!!!! -June Buggie #cat #scary #pleasedonteatme

about.me

Rumpy Dog

Rumpy Dog

All About Me!

Hi! My name is Rumpy, and I am an Alaskan Malamute. I used to live in Middle Tennessee, but now my family and I reside in southeast Alabama. I have this cool blog that I started in 2011. Here at rumpydog.com we talk about all things animal, with a focus on animal welfare and responsible animal companion guardianship. But we also like to throw in a heaping helping of cute! cute! cute! I mean, how could you look at me and not melt, right?

My story? Well, I was found on the side of a busy street. Jenny thought she would help me find my home, but nobody claimed me. So now I live with her. She's a pretty good ole' gal, but she is mighty stingy with the dog cookies. *sigh*

There are also some cats- they each have their own story. June Buggie is their chief spokesperson. He is 16 years old, crotchety, and not afraid to say what's on his mind.

All writings and photos are the copyright property of Jenny Threet (unless the writer is a guest blogger, in which case it is the property of that guest blogger) and may not be used without permission.

You can contact me at rumpydog@hotmail.com.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.