A Yard Filled With Dog Treats!

Talk about lucky dogs! If you live on the East Coast of the US, you certainly are!

Why? The cicadas have come!

This is a cicada that was in our yard in Tennessee

This is a cicada that was in our yard in Tennessee

I LOVE cicadas! When we had them in our yard, Jen had to keep an eye on me so I wouldn’t stuff myself silly. DeDe didn’t seem to care for them. I didn’t mind- that was more for me!

Cicadas are high in protein, low in fat, low in carbohydrates and gluten-free.

Are they safe for dogs to eat? Yes! However, if you think they’ve been contaminated with pesticides, you shouldn’t let your dog eat them.

Cicadas can be a choking hazard, so be sure to closely supervise your dog when outside.

Don’t let your dog eat too many at one time, because it can cause stomach upset.

And don’t eat cicadas if you have a shellfish allergy!

taken by Kevin Ambrose and published in The Washington Post

taken by Kevin Ambrose and published in The Washington Post

Some humans capture and freeze cicadas so their dogs can have treats for a long time to come! Yum!

And some daring humans enjoy them too. Want to try cicadas? National Geographic published a recipe for Candied Cicadas.

Bon Appetit!

Everything You Need to Know About the Cicada Swarm (Popular Mechanics)

Cicadas Are Treat for Dogs (Columbia Daily Tribune)

Don’t let your pet (or yourself) eat cicadas if you have shellfish allergies (Star Exponent)

About these ads

About Rumpy Drummond

79 thoughts on “A Yard Filled With Dog Treats!

1. I’ve been known to sit over a cicada hole for hours on a a summer evening but huMum has never seen me nom them or bring inside to show her *sad ears*

Posted by Jessie & Jane | May 31, 2013, 5:12 AM
  2. Amazing post, Rumpkin! We think you are crazy to nom them, but to each his own. We’ve heard that they’re filled with good nutrients, and we do love their beady red eyes! We prefer to eat moths.

Posted by Annabelle Essert (@RainbowCatsx8) | May 31, 2013, 5:21 AM
  3. I bet those things are crispy on the outside and mellow on the inside. I wouldn’t mind trying.

Posted by Chabichou Malabar du Roupillon | May 31, 2013, 5:34 AM
  4. The swarm of cicadas awakening have been news here too! They’re absolutely fascinating creatures!! But we didn’t know just how tasty they are to woofies! LOL! Enjoy! Take care
    x

Posted by Old Kitty | May 31, 2013, 5:40 AM
  5. UUUUUUUM!! Doggy heaven… not for me though , thank you!! xx

Posted by willowdot21 | May 31, 2013, 5:51 AM
  6. Yikes! Mostly right now we HEAR them all around us – in the woods especially – but we’ve seen very few (so far!). Yesterday Mom saw one on a tree but really so far so good. I didn’t know they could be chomped on though! They’re too big for me but you enjoy your “All You Can Eat Cicada Buffet” Rumpy!!

Kitty Hugs, Sammy

Posted by onespoiledcat | May 31, 2013, 6:04 AM
  7. Wow! I did not know that us dogs ate that kind of thing. We don’t have them here, so I won’t be tasting any but that sure is interesting. We would think cats might eat them but not dogs.

Posted by Emmadog | May 31, 2013, 6:24 AM
  8. Oh no! Didn’t know that Cicadas would be great dog treats!!!! I’ve never eat them….but in Japan, some people who mostly elder eat Grasshopoer or Locust cooked in soy sauce!!!!! Yuck! In our family nobody eat them though….You eat them while they’re alive?

Posted by eripanwkevin | May 31, 2013, 6:33 AM
  9. Delicious Rumpy x ;) xx love and Happy friday :) you and Dear DeDe are on my site in your full on beauty xo LOVE YOU XO C

Posted by Cat Forsley | May 31, 2013, 6:39 AM
  10. Don’t remember our dogs catching any but the chickens adore them and it is such fun watching them career around catching them :D

Posted by Animalcouriers | May 31, 2013, 6:52 AM
  11. Looks super tasty D:

Posted by LifeOfBun | May 31, 2013, 6:59 AM
  12. We don’t have any here :( Maybe they’ll show up later in the year?

Posted by Gizmo | May 31, 2013, 7:27 AM
  13. I would try a cicadas-salad – maybe mom would try it too – it sounds like the perfect food for a diet :o) Mom likes the cicadas bands when they “play” the whole night :o)

Posted by easyweimaraner | May 31, 2013, 7:29 AM
  14. Mom says EWWWWW. We don’t have any around here. Maybe they don’t come on the beach because of the wind???

The Florida Furkids

Posted by The Florida Furkids | May 31, 2013, 7:30 AM
  15. I have never had one or even seen one. But I think I would like to try one.
    Blessings,
    Goose

Posted by Goose | May 31, 2013, 7:35 AM
  16. Have you ever tried June bugs? Talbot, the Golden Retriever who preceded me, loved June bugs. Apparently they are tasty and crunchy and conveniently right outside the door!

Posted by Miss Harper Lee | May 31, 2013, 8:16 AM
  17. Chocolate covered?……….lol

Posted by Russel Ray Photos | May 31, 2013, 8:20 AM
  18. Good information sweet Rumpy. Enjoy your feast while it lasts. We know you will not be allowed to over-do. Chancy would never eat them he was afraid of them the year they were in our area. Hugs and nose kisses

Posted by What's Going on at Mumsy's | May 31, 2013, 8:43 AM
  19. Cicadas are such Cool Drool thingys… we love the sound the males make. did you know that HERE we say from the first time you hear a cicada… it will be 8 WEEKS until the first FROST???
    Our MOM’s Brother made Batter and Deep Fried them one year… MOM did not eat any…
    BUTT I (Frankie Furter) caught and ate one RAW once… DELICIOUS.

Posted by Frankie and Ernie | May 31, 2013, 9:26 AM
  20. EEK!!! I’m in Delaware and haven’t seen any yet. I’ve heard their coming though. Egads!

Posted by Bren | May 31, 2013, 10:05 AM
  21. We just watched Cicadias and Invaders 2013 on Nat Geo. It was very interesting. I’m glad we don’t really get them here because Blue would eat tons!

Posted by Marie | May 31, 2013, 10:34 AM
  22. I don’t eat them, but Pippin the cat says they’re yummy!

Posted by Clowie | May 31, 2013, 11:06 AM
  23. Hmm. . . I wonder if I could get the beagle to substitute these for rabbit raisins!

Nancy

Posted by dogear6 | May 31, 2013, 11:49 AM
  24. We are SO not looking forward to those ciacdas here in CT. But hey, a toy that’s also a snack can’t be all that bad, right? :)

Posted by meowmeowmans | May 31, 2013, 1:44 PM
  25. Ick… cicadas are creepy! I scream and run when I see them!

Posted by Emily @ Adventures of a Dog Mom | May 31, 2013, 1:59 PM
  26. GAH! Mom says if the cicadas come here, we’re never leaving the house! Can I come and stay with you, Rumpy? I promise not to stuff myself…..

Love and licks,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | May 31, 2013, 2:33 PM
  27. I haven’t seen them yet and I’m happy. I hate bugs and can’t look at them, so I just scrolled through your post today.

Posted by BJ Pup | May 31, 2013, 3:30 PM
  28. Do they taste like chicken? ;)

Posted by EllaDee | May 31, 2013, 4:06 PM
  29. Eeeeek, that’s a “hell no” from me, LOL I’ll leave them all for you :D

Posted by Boomdeeadda | May 31, 2013, 5:01 PM
  30. I’ll try them if I get the chance…but Mom says the sounds they make creep her out so I may not get to try them :(
    I’ve never met a food I don’t like – so I bet I’d love these!
    Lil ~ the always hungry Labrador ;-)

Posted by Saved by Dogs | May 31, 2013, 6:48 PM
  31. OMD, we LOVE cicadas. We never find them in our yard, but we often see them along our walks. Mom is forever trying to prevent us from grabbing them. Mmmmmmmm, they are so crunchy delicious.

Woos – Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Posted by Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning | May 31, 2013, 7:49 PM
  32. I had no idea dogs could eat them. Thanks for the tip.

Posted by peacelovenwhiskers | May 31, 2013, 11:38 PM
  33. Not here yet, but on the way.

Posted by Teepee12 | June 1, 2013, 1:42 AM
  34. No thanks!!! :-)

Posted by daniellajoe | June 1, 2013, 9:53 AM
  35. Ewwww… I can hear the crunching now! Found your blog through HumanRescuesDog! :)

Posted by sarahhosick | June 1, 2013, 1:20 PM
  36. Lol… hope you enjoy your snacks Rumpy! I wonder if they carry parasites? I know dogs can get some things from eating crickets or roaches but have never heard anything about cicadas before.

Posted by Ann "Paws" Staub | June 1, 2013, 2:15 PM
  37. I wish we had cicadas here! Are they fun to chase to? I bet they are! You lucky pup :)

Posted by onebluedog | June 1, 2013, 3:00 PM
  38. I love cicadas, too. But I like watching them, not eating them, Rumpy. ;)

Posted by Colleen | June 1, 2013, 5:49 PM
  39. Interesting, I never thought of cicadas as dog treats. I used to have a dog that loved the junebugs, but Maya & Pierson don’t care too much for eating bugs… catching, yes; eating, no.

Posted by ILoveDogs | June 1, 2013, 6:37 PM
  40. I think I’ll pass on the candied cicadas. Enjoy their music, Rumpy. (I’m not sure this is a “treat” I’d want to indulge in.) :-)

Posted by earthriderjudyberman | June 1, 2013, 7:23 PM
  41. Enjoy but I hope they don’t make you chirp!!!! :)

Posted by Bassa's Blog | June 2, 2013, 7:21 AM
  42. I don’t know if I’m brave enough to try those!! May just stick to my treats!!

Posted by Basil | June 3, 2013, 5:06 AM
  43. I hate them they give me the creeps. Last time we had the was with Tyler and he wasn’t interested. He didn’t even taste one. Glad we don’t have them, have no idea what Newfs would do.

Posted by tylersat99 | June 4, 2013, 1:37 AM
  44. Mommy went EEEWWWW!!!! Me and the hairy slobbery sisters went “YUM!”
    Kisses
    Nellie

Posted by catfromhell | June 4, 2013, 9:01 PM

What would you like to add to the conversation? Leave a comment below!

Spending Saturday evening in the back yard.

about.me

Rumpy Dog

Rumpy Dog

All About Me!

Hi! My name is Rumpy, and I am an Alaskan Malamute. I used to live in Middle Tennessee, but now my family and I reside in southeast Alabama. I have this cool blog that I started in 2011. Here at rumpydog.com we talk about all things animal, with a focus on animal welfare and responsible animal companion guardianship. But we also like to throw in a heaping helping of cute! cute! cute! I mean, how could you look at me and not melt, right?

My story? Well, I was found on the side of a busy street. Jenny thought she would help me find my home, but nobody claimed me. So now I live with her. She's a pretty good ole' gal, but she is mighty stingy with the dog cookies. *sigh*

There are also some cats- they each have their own story. June Buggie is their chief spokesperson. He is 16 years old, crotchety, and not afraid to say what's on his mind.

All writings and photos are the copyright property of Jenny Threet (unless the writer is a guest blogger, in which case it is the property of that guest blogger) and may not be used without permission.

You can contact me at rumpydog@hotmail.com.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.