Hisses and Purrs

Hisses and Purrs!

Time for this week’s edition of Hisses and Purrs, starring none other than Hissy Fit Jones and June Buggie! Let’s get started with you Hissy. Who has got you riled up this time?

For shame! For shame!

For shame! For shame!

Hisses to the owner of a leopard who either escaped or was set free in the area around Charlestown, Indiana. Area residents had complained of something attacking small animals. A local man killed the animal to protect his girlfriend’s cats. It was originally believed the leopard, which is not native to North America, had escaped from Wildlife in Need, a non-profit wildlife rehab and release center near Charlestown, but owner Tim Stark denies the leopard was one of theirs.

Hisses to The National Farmers’ Federation (NFF) who threatened to stop supplying Coles Supermarkets of Australia. The NFF was upset that Coles was working with Animals Australia to promote Animals Australia’s Make it Possible campaign, which urges consumers to buy cage-free eggs, free range chicken and stall-free pork.

Hisses to Iceland for going ahead with the fin whale hunt. The first whale was killed last week. And hisses to Japan for buying the whale meat. If there was no demand, no one would bother to hunt these animals. We must work harder to convince the Japanese that they are doing great harm by consuming whale meat and by feeding it to their pets.

Whoa! Even I wanna hiss now, and I’m a dog! OK June Buggie, time to show us that not all is bad in the world of animal welfare.

Good job. Have a cookie.

Good job. Have a cookie.

Purrs to the government of The Philippines, who last week destroyed 5 tons of elephant tusks that had been confiscated since 2009. Officials crushed and burned the ivory to send a message to both the smugglers as well as potential buyers. And their actions prevented corrupt officials from reselling the ivory, as happened in 2006.

Purrs to Morris the cat, mayoral candidate for the Mexican city of Xalapa. Morris’ candidacy started as a joke, but has caught on as more people who are fed up with government corruption throw their support behind him. His campaign slogan? “Tired of voting for rats? Vote for a cat.”

mayoral candidate Morris the cat (Reuters photograph)

mayoral candidate Morris the cat (Reuters photograph)

Purrs to Walle, winner of this year’s World’s Ugliest Dog Contest. Walle is a mix of basset, beagle, and boxer, and he waddles when he walks. He lives with human Tammie Barbee and is well loved.

The World's Ugliest Dog, AP photo

The World’s Ugliest Dog (AP photo)

And we’d like to send healing purrs for Marissa Dub, who last week was attacked by a tiger at the Exotic Feline Rescue Center in Center Point, Indiana. Dub was cleaning the cage and reportedly left a gate open when an 18-year-old tiger named Raja came into the area, knocked Dub to the ground and latched onto her neck. Dub is reportedly in fair condition.

Your turn. What hisses or purrs would you like to add this week?

About these ads

22 thoughts on “Hisses and Purrs!

1. Thanks for the hisses and purrs. It is excellent information. You four legged folks are huge purrs!

Posted by kanzensakura | June 25, 2013, 6:05 AM
  2. Love the hisses and purrs. Thanks to you, I’ve started sharing local newspaper articles on my blog page that are hiss or purr worthy.Have two cookies.

Posted by peacelovenwhiskers | June 25, 2013, 6:44 AM
  3. I wish we could stop this whale killing – that’s as cruelty as hell. Thanks for a great post – I hope we can make the world a little bit better.

Posted by easyweimaraner | June 25, 2013, 7:08 AM
  4. I’m hissing at the state of Pennsylvania and everyone who supports canned pigeon shoots! They are banned as cruel in nearly every other state but we just can’t seem to pass a law to ban them, mostly because of gun lobbyists who pressure legislators and oppose the legislation.

Posted by Bernadette | June 25, 2013, 7:43 AM
  5. I do not see the ugly in the dog!! He is absolutely adorable!

I also hope Morris wins!! Maybe that’s what we need in the US!! Rumpy run for Mayor!!

Posted by Murphy | June 25, 2013, 8:36 AM
  6. Another great list. I was so sad to see all the elephant tusks at all. I support the message the Philippine gov’t sent, just dad it had to even do it at all. And boos on the whale
    Hunt. Ugh!

Posted by Mel | June 25, 2013, 8:39 AM
  7. I was reading about this adorable dog – born with a “moustache” here:

Anyway the pics show the gorgeous dog from puppy to all grown up. Imagine my HORROR when I read the comments. This poor dog’s ears have been “cropped” deliberately. :-(

May I add that to the hiss list? It’s on the same par as de-clawing.

Take care
    x

Posted by Old Kitty | June 25, 2013, 9:02 AM
  8. The story about the lady who was mauled by the tiger is PROOF that wild animals belong in the wild… even in a RESCUE facility with all they know and do to care for the animals… they are indeed dealing with WILD animals who Will do what WILD ANIMALS are SUPPOSED to do. It is a shame that peeps can not learn this simple lesson.

Posted by Frankie and Ernie | June 25, 2013, 9:30 AM
  9. We need to discontinue all the contests for Ugliest anything! Every animal is beautiful in someone’s eyes! Likewise the Most Beautiful whatever. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so to each his own. (sorry about the cliches, but they’re true)

Posted by Annabelle Essert (@RainbowCatsx8) | June 25, 2013, 9:46 AM
  10. Oh no…..poor Whales….hisss to Japan for buying the whale meat. :(

Posted by eripanwkevin | June 25, 2013, 11:49 AM
  11. That dog isn’t ugly – funny, maybe. Gotta love that Morris the cat being brave enough to run for office there

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | June 25, 2013, 12:29 PM
  12. I always look forward to Hisses & Purrs!

Posted by buffalotompeabody | June 25, 2013, 5:02 PM
  13. Good luck, Morris! Today, mayor, tomorrow the world!

Love and licks,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | June 25, 2013, 5:58 PM
  14. Purrs to House of Reps – they rejected the King Amendment! (just received an email from HSUS)

I look forward to this posting each week. I’m always hearing the negative and it is refreshing (and sanity saving) to read your purr highlights. Thank you. :)

Posted by Colleen | June 25, 2013, 6:02 PM
  15. That dog ain’t ugly! He’s CUTE.

Posted by Teepee12 | June 26, 2013, 8:47 PM
  16. I’m voting for Morris!

Posted by Gizmo | June 28, 2013, 3:50 PM
  17. I love your Hisses and Purrs blogs.
    Morris is right, let’s the get rats out of government and the more gentle and probably smarter cast. At least gentler than Hissy Fit Jones.

June Buggie you add balance to Hissy Fit so we end on a happy note.

The two you look so much alike.

Posted by BJ Pup | June 29, 2013, 3:28 PM

1. Pingback: Hisses and Purrs! | Catgurl40's Blog - June 25, 2013

Who's a good #dog? I am! #dogs #dogsofinstagram #alaskanmalamute #malamute #cute #gooddog

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.