Celebrating Black Cats!

Today is Black Cat Appreciation Day!

Oh look! It's our Little Girl!

Oh look! It’s our Little Girl!

The day was dreamed up by Wayne Morris (yay, Wayne!) to honor his sister and her beloved black cat. The purpose of the day is to celebrate black cats and to dispel some of the stereotypes of black cats being bad luck.

Some cultures believe black cats bring good luck. The Japanese believe black cats bring good luck. Scottish culture says that if a stray black cat comes to your home, it brings with it good luck to the household. And ancient Egyptian cultures treated black cats as royalty.

Others, though, think black cats are bad luck. Gamblers believe that if a black cat crosses your path on the way to gamble, it’s a sign you should not go. And Pilgrim settlers of the US saw any old woman with a black cat as a witch, If the villagers decided she was bringing bad luck to the village, both the old woman and her cat would be burned at the stake.

Graybie Baby photographs best in front of neutral colors.

Graybie Baby photographs best in front of neutral colors.

During the Middle Ages, humans killed black cats because they saw them as evil. As a result, the rat population grew and helped to spread the bubonic plague. I don’t think that was the cats’ fault. Maybe it’s stupid humans that should be feared.

There is no statistical data that supports the adage the black cats (and dogs) are less likely to be adopted from shelters. Anecdotal evidence suggests the problem lies with the difficulty in photographing them. So the smart shelters are working with lighting and backdrops to make black cats more appealing.

Here at the Rumpydog household, we share our lives with two black cats- male Graybie Baby and female Little Girl. And while Jen may be many things, a witch she is not.

So let’s celebrate the beauty and grace of the black cat, and reassure folks that black cats are not evil…… unless you forgot to feed them at the proper time, that is.

Better nobody say MY kitty is bad luck!

Better nobody say MY kitty is bad luck!

Tell us about a special black cat in your life!

About these ads

About Rumpy Drummond

86 thoughts on “Celebrating Black Cats!

1. Yeay to all black cats!

Posted by agatapokutycka | August 17, 2013, 7:34 AM
  2. The myth the people believe did damaging :(

Posted by YellowCable | August 17, 2013, 7:34 AM
  3. Black cat or no, the Pilgrims didn’t need much of a reason for burning women, cats… and just about everything else, at the stake. In fact, the Pilgrims – just like Curley of the Three Stooges – far preferred a hot steak over a cold chop. A mind-numbingly ignorant population, it’s a miracle any of them managed to survive.

Posted by bitcodavid | August 17, 2013, 7:41 AM
  4. I have a heart for black kitties, they are great! And if you share your crib with a black kitty you are always safe from bad luck and monsters.

Posted by easyweimaraner | August 17, 2013, 7:43 AM
  5. There is absolutely nothing wrong with black cats, they are awesome. And, you know I have a thing of black dogs!

Posted by Emily @ Adventures of a Dog Mom | August 17, 2013, 7:45 AM
  6. We have 2 black cats and keep them inside to protect them from stupid people.

Posted by Linda Andrews | August 17, 2013, 7:46 AM
  7. I go with lucky for black cats every time,xx Rachel

Posted by speedyrabbit | August 17, 2013, 7:50 AM
  8. M’s first kitty was all black. He lived to age 19 and never once brought them bad luck., I’m half black. Black is beautiful! Wish the general public would get over that stereotype and realize black cats are just as good as any other color of cat.

Posted by mariodacat | August 17, 2013, 8:37 AM
  9. I’ve had two black cats, both very different and both very special. Jake is still with me. He has a special sense that knows when something is wrong. He can purr your worries away. My girlfriend (who is highly allergic) found him as a young kitten in her yard. On the way to the shelter she stopped at my house and the rest is history. His paws were so big I didn’t know what he was going to grow into. As it turns out, he is tall and long but at 16 pounds there is no fat. He is 15 and aging. I know he has had a good life and continues to live every day to the fullest. Black cats are the coolest (but don’t tell my other cats I said that!)

Posted by katecrimmins | August 17, 2013, 8:37 AM
  10. We love black cats! Some of the sweetest and most amazing kitties at PAWS are house panthers!

Posted by meowmeowmans | August 17, 2013, 8:58 AM
  11. Once I saw a black cat hiding under a minivan. It was good luck, because Mom said, “Leave it.” and I did, and I got a treat! Lucky!

Love and licks,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | August 17, 2013, 9:14 AM
  12. Happy Black Cat Day! Yes, like you mentioned, black cats are popular to have as a pet in Japan! To be honest, mom’s best friend and her colleague love black cats and they have them as a pet. There are no reputation that black cat brings a bad luck. There are many black cat products here, too! :)

Posted by eripanwkevin | August 17, 2013, 9:16 AM
  13. Our black cat, Shadow, was loving and shy. We were lucky to have her with us, along with another cat, Bond … Jane Bond, for nine years. She is missed. Stereotyping an animal or a human based on color is just dumb. I’m heart struck that these beautiful animals are singled out based on their color.

Posted by earthriderjudyberman | August 17, 2013, 9:24 AM
  14. Biene was our black cat. She passed away from cancer two years ago. Mom adopted her from a cat rescue when she was about six months old. She had been abused and did not like humans. Mom spent twelve years trying to tame that poor kitty. She had her moments and she knew Mom loved her, but her life was sad as she always lived in fear. Mom did the best she could but there was no reversing what happened to her as a kitten. She had the most beautiful fur of any cat we have ever seen. Hopefully she is now free and happy!

Posted by Emmadog | August 17, 2013, 10:26 AM
  15. While there may be no ‘statistical data’ that supports the notion that black cats get adopted less I will say that when I had to visit our own local shelter several times when we lost our black cat, it was obvious that this is true. There were far more black cats there than any other type. I had to look into so many kennels, I left in tears every time

Posted by Boomdeeadda | August 17, 2013, 10:34 AM
  16. I completely agree that black dogs and cats are difficult to photograph and to draw! When I tried to draw my black dog Sephi, it was difficult to add shading because she’s black. So I added white or gray highlights instead which make her look black and white instead of black. Tough.

Posted by ILoveDogs | August 17, 2013, 11:14 AM
  17. You tell ‘em Rumpy! Wooooowoooooo, Ku

Posted by Kuruk | August 17, 2013, 11:41 AM
  18. It is a shame that black cats (and dogs too) are so hard to adopt. It is good to know that many shelters are recognizing that simple tricks such as lighting and background colors can help assist in the adoption process by giving these animals more of a visual advantage. The bad luck thing, well, we have to keep working on debunking that myth as best we can…

Posted by Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey | August 17, 2013, 11:43 AM
  19. Yayyy!! You go Rumpy! Defend your slandered siblings. I love this article, and I am going to do a pingback…:)

Posted by Charron's Chatter | August 17, 2013, 11:54 AM
  20. well, it took me forever to do it right–but I got it. :)

Posted by Charron's Chatter | August 17, 2013, 12:03 PM
  21. You mean I have to appreciate Scratchy, the black cat I live with? This is terrible! I sure hope Scratchy doesn’t read this post. I’ve got to keep him away from the computer today.

Posted by Bongo | August 17, 2013, 12:40 PM
  22. Let’s hear it for our house panthers!

Posted by Bernadette | August 17, 2013, 1:04 PM
  23. How wonderful. I will share. I will be hosting a black cat appreciation month in October and I will link this article if you don’t mind.

Posted by peacelovenwhiskers | August 17, 2013, 2:16 PM
  24. Honestly, I used to be very frightened of black cats after one scratched me badly when I was little. But then when I was 11 I was at my friends house playing computer games when I felt something rub against my leg, thinking it was their dog I reached down, fussed it without looking and carried on playing. It sat on my feet, rubbing against my leg for a good ten minutes and then I happened to glance down and realised it was their black cat, Sabrina. Noticing she had my attention, she jumped up onto the armchair and cuddled up next to me. I spent the whole evening there stroking and talking to her. Sabrina passed away last year and I was as heart broken as my friend because not only was she beautiful, sweet and friendly, but she cured my fear and has helped me grow to love other black cats.

~ Amy

Posted by hutchagoodlife | August 17, 2013, 2:20 PM
  25. I adore black cats! Good post and nice blog.

Posted by Catwoods | August 17, 2013, 2:27 PM
  26. Yay, for black cats.We must keep spreading the good word about them until everyone gets it :-)

Posted by Layla Morgan Wilde (Cat Wisdom 101) | August 17, 2013, 2:36 PM
  27. Reblogged this on Vegan Lynx.

Posted by CrimsonCorundum | August 17, 2013, 2:42 PM
  28. Yes, black cats are spectacular! Great post – we have to keep spreading the good word about them!

Posted by LAPCATS Sacramento Area Cat & Kitten Adoptions | August 17, 2013, 2:56 PM
  29. Thanks Rumpy for standing with the black panfur cats. There was an article in the SF Chronicle Aug 9 about black dogs…they sited some research http://blackdogresearchstudio.com/ you might find interesting. The rescue being interviewed is called Loup Garou; http://www.loupgarourescue.org/ they also rescue black panfur kitties too. paw pats, Savannah

Posted by Savannah's Paw Tracks | August 17, 2013, 3:49 PM
  30. What a nice post. We know that no kitty is bad luck don’t we sweet Rumpy. We love black cats. Hugs and nose kisses

Posted by Mags Corner | August 17, 2013, 4:50 PM
  31. Our staff, Meowmie Debby, says that communities in the Ozark Mountains have also considered black cats good luck, because they scare away evil spirits. Purrs, headbonks, and waggawaggas to all of you!

Respectfully meowed,
    The Feline Contingent (Lilith Kitten Mahoney, Rosco P. Catrane, & Miss Tina Marie Maine Coon)
    & Staff (Debby Hanoka)

Posted by Debby Hanoka | August 17, 2013, 4:54 PM
  32. Hi Rumpy, I have a fourteen year old indoor black kitty who loves his two doggie-sisters. He picked me out at the shelter when he was teenie-weenie, coming over to me with an outreached paw and saying, “you need a cat, and I’m it.” He is the most talkative cat I have ever known!

Posted by runningonsober | August 17, 2013, 5:01 PM
  33. Our special black cat is Ernie. He is the funniest, friendliest cat! The mom adopted him BECAUSE he was black…and she’s never regreted it for a minute.

Wally

Posted by The Island Cats | August 17, 2013, 6:41 PM
  34. WE have two black cats. We also have a well behaved expensive Siamese Bengal mix. Let’s just say that the two black cats make things interesting. Lucy and Vladimir. ;-)

Posted by Robin | August 17, 2013, 6:56 PM
  35. Hi Y’all!

What a beautiful kitty!

Y’all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

Posted by Hawk aka BrownDog | August 17, 2013, 7:55 PM
  36. I’m not a cat fan – I have an allergic reaction to them – but I find black felines especially beautiful!

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | August 17, 2013, 9:16 PM
  37. We LOVE black cats, and celebrate them here every day! :) Hopefully, there will come a day when they are seen as wonderful kitties, who just happen to be black.

Posted by meowmeowmans | August 17, 2013, 9:46 PM
  38. My Jack was black, a loving wonderful cat, a gorgeous boy, forever missed.

Posted by EllaDee | August 17, 2013, 10:45 PM
  39. We have two gorgeous black cats and a black dog here in Teddy and Tottie Land and they have brought us so much love and joy. Black animals are so handsome and regal looking. Our lives wouldn’t be the same without them. Here’s to Black Cat Appreciation Day!

Posted by teddyandtottie | August 17, 2013, 11:42 PM
  40. You know I’ve never had a black cat before I don’t think… but I’ve met a lot of them and they seem just as nice as any other cats. Some of the oldest cats I’ve ever met were black ones.

Posted by Ann "Paws" Staub | August 18, 2013, 1:17 AM
  41. I used to be so superstitious about black cats and in fact I hated all cats… and then I fell in love with a black cat. Bubi was my ‘heart’ cat and was a most special cat. Sadly he passed away a few months ago but he gave me the gift of a lifelong love of cats and especially black cats.

Posted by humanrescuesdog | August 18, 2013, 2:11 AM
  42. I don’t like cats of any colour or type. I try to be friendly but they really scare me :(

Posted by rubytheblacklabrador | August 18, 2013, 2:14 AM
  43. Our balck cat Simba was amazing..personality plus..shot and killed by someone..our second black cat MerlinMc Tavish was the sweetest smoochiest boy..he passed away from Feline aids ..we have Cleo now blakc cat and she has a beautiful nature also,smoochy,adventurous,bold…black cats are amazing!! Hugs Fozziemum xx

Posted by fozziemum | August 18, 2013, 2:14 AM
  44. This Shiva.

I also considered black. It my pawty too?

Posted by Shiva & Jaya | August 18, 2013, 11:22 AM
  45. I know the human really got her beady eye on a black cat (even blacker than me!!) at a local shelter, but she has got to get MY say so first!!

Posted by Austin Towers | August 18, 2013, 3:52 PM
  46. What a lovely color combo between you two. :D Love how the bright eyes really pop on black cats.

Posted by LifeOfBun | August 18, 2013, 5:14 PM
  47. We love black cats! Gee…I wonder if our Binx realized it was his special day???! We better go slip some extra treats to him!

Posted by fivesibesmom | August 18, 2013, 9:29 PM
  48. Our Minx is a black cat, beautiful and very good. Of course we have a black dog, Mica and Black and White Lexie. I love their color and they bring joy:-)

Posted by tylersat99 | August 19, 2013, 1:53 AM
  49. Oscar and Henry agree with this post :-)

Posted by mythreemoggies | August 19, 2013, 4:37 AM
  50. Reblogged this on SandraBranum's Blog and commented:
    Don’t let daughter-in-law Alexa’s black cat Loki read this. He already thinks he’s royalty!

Posted by sandrabranum | August 21, 2013, 1:27 PM
  51. I have a black cat named JOFFREY-he is a rescue cat from Philly-I like your blog.

Posted by hobo hippieAna christy | August 21, 2013, 2:41 PM
  52. I have a black cat named JOFFREY -he is a rescue cat from Philly-I enjoy your blog best

Posted by hobo hippie | August 21, 2013, 2:42 PM
  53. I love my black cat diva. She loves butter, and being the queen of the house. Every morning she wakes me up by biting my fingers. She certainly controls the other animals in the house.

Posted by shereenielsen | August 22, 2013, 9:55 AM
  54. I love this post! One our cats is black. It is extremely hard to photograph her- unless the lighting is *just right* her face looks like a giant shadow because her nose and lips are black as well. Using a flash makes her eyes glow creepily. We have found that natural light in particular or a large light in front of her as opposed to behind her allows us to see her more easily in photographs.

Posted by bitsyandbug | August 22, 2013, 1:10 PM

1. Pingback: Witch Came First… | Charron's Chatter - August 17, 2013

2. Pingback: Does a black cat know that it’s black? | Millard Fillmore's Bathtub - August 21, 2013

What would you like to add to the conversation? Leave a comment below!

Want to get regular email from Rumpydog? Then follow me by email!

Is that a cookie in your hand?

about.me

Rumpy Dog

Rumpy Dog

All About Me!

Hi! My name is Rumpy, and I am an Alaskan Malamute. I used to live in Middle Tennessee, but now my family and I reside in southeast Alabama. I have this cool blog that I started in 2011. Here at rumpydog.com we talk about all things animal, with a focus on animal welfare and responsible animal companion guardianship. But we also like to throw in a heaping helping of cute! cute! cute! I mean, how could you look at me and not melt, right?

My story? Well, I was found on the side of a busy street. Jenny thought she would help me find my home, but nobody claimed me. So now I live with her. She's a pretty good ole' gal, but she is mighty stingy with the dog cookies. *sigh*

There are also some cats- they each have their own story. June Buggie is their chief spokesperson. He is 16 years old, crotchety, and not afraid to say what's on his mind.

All writings and photos are the copyright property of Jenny Threet (unless the writer is a guest blogger, in which case it is the property of that guest blogger) and may not be used without permission.

You can contact me at rumpydog@hotmail.com.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.