Yesterday I got the call. The pathology results were in.
DeDe’s tumor is a hemangiopericytoma. It’s cancer. It’s considered malignant. But they don’t usually metastasize. Instead, treatment consists of surgically removing the tumor and some surrounding healthy tissue.
But they almost always come back. In one forum, I read a post that said the tumor was growing back right beside the surgical incision that hadn’t even healed fully.
So now I must decide what is best for DeDe.
If I have the tumor removed, it’s recommended she stay confined with minimal movement. With her arthritis, that’s going to mean stiffness in her joints. And it may be a painful experience for naught, because the tumor most likely will return.
If I leave it alone, it will most likely continue to grow, and eventually I’ll have to decide when it’s too much for her and let her go.
So, what to do?
I don’t know. I’ll continue to research. I’ll talk with the vets when I have the stitches from the biopsy removed. I’ll pray for guidance.
Any experience you can share will be gratefully accepted, as will your prayers, thoughts, and good wishes.