activism

Some People are Just Plain Mean

Sometimes people are just plain mean.

This past week we learned that puppies at an animal rescue in Scottsboro, Alabama, were poisoned with antifreeze after someone scaled two fences, one of which was 6 feet high, and put antifreeze in their water bowl. At present, one of the puppies is still hanging on.

poisoned puppy

one of the puppies poisoned

Also, someone shot an emu at Rikki’s Refuge in Virgina. Bullet went into Mary’s thigh, breaking the bone and causing massive bleeding. Mary died within minutes.

Mary the emu died after being shot in the thigh

Mary the emu died after being shot in the thigh

In each case, there’s a reward for information leading to an arrest of the person or persons responsible.

Harming or killing animals is not funny. It’s not cute. It’s cruel. People who harm animals in this way will soon have no qualms about doing the same to a human.

If you have knowledge of any person who willfully harms an animal, report it to your local law enforcement officials. And if they don’t do anything, call the news media.

About these ads

36 thoughts on “Some People are Just Plain Mean

1. People can be incredibly cruel…..they can also be incredibly wonderful – so sad some choose the cruel pathway….hard to imagine why they do though. Makes me sad AND mad…..

Pam

Posted by onespoiledcat | January 17, 2014, 5:49 AM
  2. It is beyond cruel it is evil

Posted by fredrieka | January 17, 2014, 5:52 AM
  3. “Mean” is a euphemism. People who are deliberately cruel to animals, as in the stories above, are deeply disturbed!

Posted by Emy Will | January 17, 2014, 5:52 AM
  4. I am not a vengeful person, but I sure hope that Karma bites them in the butt and I hope it is soon.

Posted by Isaiah's Mom | January 17, 2014, 5:55 AM
  5. So sad…

Posted by niasunset | January 17, 2014, 6:04 AM
  6. I don’t know how some people could be so cruel and heartless. I hope whoever did this gets caught and is made to pay accordingly.

Posted by dianaroggenbuckebrown | January 17, 2014, 6:06 AM
  7. Stupid people. Hate to hear stuff like this.

Posted by sethsnap | January 17, 2014, 6:08 AM
  8. I always wonder how sick some people can be. I agree with you, people like this would do this to humans too ( but they pick animals for victims to avoid hard punishments)

Posted by easyweimaraner | January 17, 2014, 6:20 AM
  9. Sadly there are some seriously soul deprived individuals who lack any form of empathy with anything..it’s a small step from cruelty to animals to cruelty to humans..i feel nothing for these people…they don’t deserve my energy…I always report and I have always stepped in …I have slept better at night for it..

Posted by fozziemum | January 17, 2014, 6:21 AM
  10. I think it says a lot about somebody who would do something like this. To lack empathy for creatures, no matter how small, shows a complete lack of humanity. Hearing this sort of thing truly disgusts me. I wish the worst for people who do this, and I hope one day they are able to experience some insight into how depraved and evil their actions truly are.

Posted by hungryhungryhippo404 | January 17, 2014, 6:42 AM
  11. Sickening. Makes me cry. Why on earth do people do these terrible things? I just don’t get it.

Posted by jmgoyder | January 17, 2014, 6:55 AM
  12. There are no words.

Posted by 25castleson25clouds | January 17, 2014, 7:23 AM
  13. Why do people do this sort of thing? I don’t understand. Maybe I don’t want to understand. My husband says I should never discount the possibility of pure evil. Perhaps he is wiseer than I.

Posted by Marilyn Armstrong | January 17, 2014, 8:12 AM
  14. No, sometimes people are just plain evil and hateful. But so many people are incredibly kind and caring….like your Jen!

Posted by kanzensakura | January 17, 2014, 9:15 AM
  15. We just do NOT understand why people do things like this. It is HORRID.

Posted by Frankie and Ernie | January 17, 2014, 9:48 AM
  16. OMG how could anyone be so cruel!!

Posted by Misaki | January 17, 2014, 10:11 AM
  17. Makes my blood boil! Grrrrrrr………..

Posted by Trish Hetherington | January 17, 2014, 10:53 AM
  18. Oh my goodness, that is so horrible!!!! Why on earth do people do this these things????
    ((husky hugz))
    “love is being owned by a husky”

Posted by HuskyCrazed SibePage | January 17, 2014, 11:07 AM
  19. Rumpy, you are right, some people are just plain mean or evil. These people are disgusting. When they are caught they need to be given comparable treatment.

Posted by BJ Pup | January 17, 2014, 11:57 AM
  20. There are always horrible people out there. Luckily, they’re a slim minority (although they do a lot of damage).

Besides reporting bad people, we need to keep animals out of harm’s way. I was so upset when a business person I knew used a dog to guard his lumber yard after being robbed several times. Of course the burglars poisoned the dog to get what they wanted.

I understand his struggles to keep his property safe. But there’s no way any dog would be safe under those circumstances. And a dog has fewer means to escape from danger than a human security guard.

Posted by somethingwagging | January 17, 2014, 12:22 PM
    • . Luckily, they’re a slim minority (although they do a lot of damage).

I think that’s a trenchant point, and it’s precisely BECAUSE these people cause a lot of damage (and because sensational stories carry like the wind) that it seems they’re more plentiful than they really are. I think it’s right to stay vigilant for those two-legged monsters who really ARE bad, but to remember that they’re a sad, sorry minority.

Posted by Smaktakula | January 17, 2014, 9:11 PM
  21. We have to keep the location of the village swans a secret in case someone harms them or the cygnets.

Posted by shacklefordlb | January 17, 2014, 12:27 PM
  22. I really don’t understand the human species some times….why would you do something like this?,xx Rachel

Posted by speedyrabbit | January 18, 2014, 1:30 AM
  23. Hope they find and prosecute the offenders!

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | January 18, 2014, 9:00 AM
  24. Things like this make me physically ill. What was the goal of this? Why would anyone want to poison a puppy or shoot an Emu for that matter?

Posted by paigeandspaniels | January 18, 2014, 9:37 AM
  25. Case histories have shown that serial killers often began their evil ways by abusing or killing animals. The killers are amoral, have no compassion or feelings for others. I do hope the perpetrators are caught.

Posted by earthriderjudyberman | January 18, 2014, 11:38 AM
  26. Thanks so much for visiting! Those evil people should be made to drink the antifreeze themselves! It is just TERRIBLE!!

Posted by Bichonpawz | January 18, 2014, 6:10 PM
  27. So sad…..always innocent animals are targetted by those insane humans for their pleasure…. :(

Posted by eripanwkevin | January 19, 2014, 5:12 AM
  28. People simply suck.

Posted by Valentine Logar | January 19, 2014, 12:32 PM
  29. These are events that make me despair for the future of mankind. It has always been good striving against evil, but lately it seems even more necessary. Perhaps it’s just improved global communication. Bless the people who do even one thing to stop this cruelty.

Posted by Sandra Bell Kirchman | January 20, 2014, 8:43 AM
  30. Yow Rumpy why wuud anone WANT to posion poochiez or kill a EMU?? Dey iz jsut innycent creeturez!!! me n Mum zi furreeuss over diz!! We hopez sumone nose sumfing n da EVIL peeple are brott to justice…
    Hissy Fit iz gonna have a hayday wif deze newz itemz…
    Phank KATGOD we iz safe wif our Mumz ;)
    Lub Nylablue xx

Posted by Nylabluesmum | January 20, 2014, 6:13 PM
  31. Sick and evil creatures they are, to inflict such pain and suffering on any animal is impossible to understand. I hope they catch them and that they’re lack of humanity comes back at them tenfold.

Posted by twoblackdoggies | January 20, 2014, 9:56 PM

1. Pingback: Some People are Just Plain Mean | Catgurl40's Blog - January 21, 2014

We're moving and I'm nervous!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.