activism, Jen's thoughts, pets

At Sochi, Our Voices Were Heard

Many dog lovers are up at arms about the dog cull in Sochi. But the killing of animals has long been associated with major sporting events.

Remember in 2012 when stray dogs were killed in Ukraine before the Euro 2012 Soccer Championship? Dogs were poisoned with bait food or killed by blowgun syringes loaded with dithylinum. Both means of death were agonizing for the animals.

And they die after major sporting events as well. Do you recall the Whistler sled dog cull of 2010? Robert Fawcett killed 56 sled dogs under orders from the owner of Howling Dog Tours Whistler Inc. Apparently the dogs were no longer needed after the Olympics were over, and since the vet wouldn’t euthanize healthy dogs, Fawcett did by slitting their throats.

Sometimes the killing of the animals IS the sporting event. In the Central Midlands of Australia they’re gearing up for the West Midlands Group’s Vermin Championships, to be held February 21 through 23. Teams of hunters will go out to kill “vermin,” which in this cull is foxes, feral cats, and rabbits. The more you kill, the more points for your team. The team with the most kills wins the West Midlands Group’s Vermin Championship shield. But fear not, because for every fox and feral cat killed, five dollars will be donated to the Royal Flying Doctors Service.

Sochi stray; photo tweeted by Matt Gutman of ABC News

Sochi stray; photo tweeted by Matt Gutman of ABC News @mattgutmanABC

Did you notice that in each of these circumstances the problem is the same? Animals die because of the greed and laziness of humans. Animal welfare has not been on the political radar because, while we all love our dogs, we haven’t been quite as vocal about their welfare before now.

But at Sochi, voices from around the world are being heard. We’re not going to tolerate the abuse of animals any longer. Not at home. Not anywhere.

Perhaps the world’s politicians and sporting officials are starting to get the message that it’s not just those “animal rights nut jobs” that oppose these sorts of tactics.

Sochi strays, photo tweeted by @blatchkiki

Sochi strays, photo tweeted by @blatchkiki

Sochi will be known for the dog cull more so than anything else that happens there.

On the up side, Sochi may prove to be the turning point in the fight for the welfare of animals.

About Rumpy Drummond

59 thoughts on “At Sochi, Our Voices Were Heard

1. I don’t know how some people can sleep at night…

Posted by suzie81 | February 8, 2014, 6:17 AM
  2. Russians rid themselves of problems efficiently. Just kill and be done with it. It is easier to be amoral robot than human.

Posted by Carl D'Agostino | February 8, 2014, 6:20 AM
  3. This whole thing just makes me sad……and a bit sick just thinking about how little regard we give to life PERIOD sometimes. I’m sure this goes on all the time but THIS is the first time I’ve seen as much focus given to the practice of “clearing the streets” before a major event and I find it simply heartbreaking.

Pam

Posted by onespoiledcat | February 8, 2014, 6:27 AM
    • I’m with you, Pam. But I do believe that the reason so many of us are sick about this is because we KNOW about it. People are speaking up, and we’re finally being heard. I hope that means we’ll never have to face this kind of mass killing again.

Posted by rumpydog | February 8, 2014, 6:31 AM
  4. Let’s just hope that this will be the turning point as you say, in the fight of animal welfare, at some point the message has to sink in.

Posted by dianaroggenbuckebrown | February 8, 2014, 6:29 AM
  5. This is the first time I’ve heard about this kind of thing happening around sporting events. I hope that means that it is getting more attention now and it will be the beginning of the end of this type of thing.

Posted by Jan K | February 8, 2014, 6:52 AM
  6. Yes we here in Australia have some barbaric and archaic ideas to so it is not just the Russians..the feral cat issue here is bad and all due to humans in the first place….fix the human actions then the feral cat problem will cease to be…infuriates me..and I won’t watch the Olympics for that and the many other social issues that are unaddressed. So glad the issue has been bought to light ..countries should be shamed for their appalling actions.Boycotts have always been powerful.Hugs Fozziemum

Posted by fozziemum | February 8, 2014, 7:21 AM
    • I think it’s the tweets of photos of the dogs that lead to news stories that are making the case. Hooray!

Posted by rumpydog | February 8, 2014, 7:25 AM
      • Good !! and it happens whenever a country is trying to show case themselves…I have made a point of telling everyone at every opportunity what is going on..today also I was infuriated that horse racing which I hate anyway only changed times for their races..not cancelled despite the hideous heat..a horse died last week and the ‘vets’ said it had nothing to do with the heat…but said in the same sentence they hosed the horse down the moment it collapsed…………say no more..

Posted by fozziemum | February 8, 2014, 7:29 AM
      • It takes changing the hearts and minds of people…. one mind at a time.

Posted by rumpydog | February 8, 2014, 7:31 AM
      • One mind is a powerful thing Rumpy..there will come a day although I fear it won’t be in my lifetime, that welfare for animals will be a natural and everyday concern and our times will be looked back on with disgust…paw crossed my friend!

Posted by fozziemum | February 8, 2014, 7:34 AM
      • I dunno…. Sochi was a wake-up call, just as Hurricane Katrina. While what has happened is appalling, what is to come can be MUCH better.

Posted by rumpydog | February 8, 2014, 7:38 AM
      • Indeed it can..perhaps the heat here is making me feel less optimistic ;)

Posted by fozziemum | February 8, 2014, 7:42 AM
  7. Sometimes I feel shame to be human. And this olympics are the worst by now. They ruined the whole nature around Sotchi regardless of the consequences for animals and people.

Posted by easyweimaraner | February 8, 2014, 7:33 AM
  8. Sp appalling, so sad – our poor suffering fellow-creatures, lost because of humankind’s vanity. Pip

Posted by mrpipponders | February 8, 2014, 8:10 AM
  9. It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d definitely
    donate to this outstanding blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to fresh updates and will share this blog
    with my Facebook group. Talk soon!

Posted by short clean jokes | February 8, 2014, 9:03 AM
  10. Thanks for sharing your opinion Rumpy! I read that a lot of the stray dogs were left behind by Sochi residents that were displaced by the Olympics construction. I appreciate your optimism that the attention this behavior is getting will help move the world towards finding more humane solutions.

Posted by philaplanningjournal | February 8, 2014, 10:57 AM
  11. So sick how it is made to be a sport! Sad that people actually like doing these things to!
    I’m hoping so much that things will turn around!
    ((Husky hugz))

Posted by Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady | February 8, 2014, 1:49 PM
  12. Great article Rumpydog! Thanks for mentioning that this isn’t just Sochi, it happens all over.

Posted by Bernadette | February 8, 2014, 3:15 PM
  13. Just read your post on ‘At Sochi our voices were heard’…………I had no idea about that and makes me sick to think that this happens. Maltreatment of animals happens everywhere and is totally unacceptable. Thank you for voicing your thoughts and am with you on this battle to stop this barbaric behaviour

Posted by penelane | February 8, 2014, 3:21 PM
  14. These types of stories break my heart. But, since countries like Russia have no respect for human rights, is anyone truly surprised that they feel this way towards animals?

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | February 8, 2014, 3:42 PM
  15. Let’s hope Sochi is the turning point, and other nations take notice. It has to stop.

Posted by barb19 | February 8, 2014, 4:33 PM
  16. We purr that things will change.

Posted by The Island Cats | February 8, 2014, 4:39 PM
  17. I have been a long-time lover of the Olympics…I first watched it back in 1988, when my 9-year-old self became Brian Boitano’s biggest fan! However, I vow to not watch a single minute of coverage because of this reason!

Posted by Jessica | February 8, 2014, 5:18 PM
  18. Let’s hope that the positive things done to protect dogs continue once the cameras are turned off.

Posted by somethingwagging | February 8, 2014, 7:38 PM
  19. It’s good that the world is getting the message and beginning to speak up. Perhaps this is the turning point.

Posted by whydowepaythem | February 8, 2014, 8:24 PM
  20. Oh…look at those cute pictures of the strays who manage to survive….It’s NOT their fault being as stray dogs….it’s humans’….

Posted by eripanwkevin | February 9, 2014, 1:39 AM
  21. Glad it’s hitting the press. Thank goodness for those who have compassion.

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | February 9, 2014, 9:02 AM
  22. the more I know about people–the more I wish I wasn’t one. Keep up your awesome work. Although i couldn’t be sure how it is the Sochi officials are now handling this situation–and allegedly at that…

Posted by Charron's Chatter | February 9, 2014, 9:54 AM
  23. Thank you for this post. It is true that this is no different than the killing of thousands of homeless dogs and cats in America. We should be outraged at this practice anywhere in the world. Spay and neuter programs, a crackdown on puppy mills and backyard breeders, education on responsible pet ownership, and financially supporting local rescues and no-kill shelters is where efforts should be focused.

Posted by Linda Trunell | February 9, 2014, 10:43 AM
  24. Yow Rumpy me in Mum in teerz here…slittin poochiez throatz?? Did we reed dat rite?? Apaullin behaviour!! How cuud a so called Hu’Man do diz?? How cuud Sochi Hu’Manz n all da other placez kill innycent 4 leggedz?? Me n Mum just sick frum reedin diz…..Mum sayz she not happy at all…she iz not even watchin Olympickz n she LUBZ dem…well did lub dem…now she iz just furreeuss!!!
    Bad Hu’Manz!!!
    Nylablue =^,,^=

Posted by Nylabluesmum | February 9, 2014, 2:22 PM
  25. I only now heard about this. I’ve been living under a rock. I guess. I blogged about it today – actually, updated my original post. Now I’m going to link to this post. Thanks for sharing. Stuart

Posted by The Scottie Chronicles | February 11, 2014, 2:38 PM
  26. We read about you in The Scottie Chronicles. We appreciate your voice.

Posted by corkscot | February 11, 2014, 6:51 PM
  27. Thanks for the link!

Posted by rumpydog | February 11, 2014, 5:00 PM

1. Pingback: Thank Goodness for David Frei. And This Just In. From Sochi. | The Scottie Chronicles - February 11, 2014

Seen at a local business #wisdom #words2liveby

about.me

Rumpy Dog

Rumpy Dog

All About Me!

Hi! My name is Rumpy, and I am an Alaskan Malamute. I used to live in Middle Tennessee, but now my family and I reside in southeast Alabama. I have this cool blog that I started in 2011. Here at rumpydog.com we talk about all things animal, with a focus on animal welfare and responsible animal companion guardianship. But we also like to throw in a heaping helping of cute! cute! cute! I mean, how could you look at me and not melt, right?

My story? Well, I was found on the side of a busy street. Jenny thought she would help me find my home, but nobody claimed me. So now I live with her. She's a pretty good ole' gal, but she is mighty stingy with the dog cookies. *sigh*

There are also some cats- they each have their own story. June Buggie is their chief spokesperson. He is 16 years old, crotchety, and not afraid to say what's on his mind.

All writings and photos are the copyright property of Jenny Threet (unless the writer is a guest blogger, in which case it is the property of that guest blogger) and may not be used without permission.

You can contact me at rumpydog@hotmail.com.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.