activism

Dog Fighting in the News! #NDFAD

Today is National Dog Fighting Awareness Day! The ASPCA is asking us all to talk up the issue to make everyone aware of the cruelty of dog fighting and help find solutions that will end this barbaric practice.

Yesterday I shared with you some facts about dog fighting. Today, here are three dogfighting-related stories in this week’s news:

I can't stress to you how important it is to not leave dogs outside unsupervised. My neighbors tease Jen about doing it, but she refuses to budge.

I can’t stress to you how important it is to not leave dogs outside unsupervised. My neighbors tease Jen about always being out with me, but she refuses to budge.

On 4/4/14, 26-year-old Jennifer Kelly pled guilty to 4 counts of aggravated animal cruelty in Tallapoosa, Alabama, County Court. She was sentenced to 3 years for each charge, but in a plea agreement, will serve 10 months in jail and 3 years on probation. She must also pay fines to cover the care of the dogs that were removed from the property during the November, 2013, raids.

In Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on 4/3/14, law enforcement raided several places and arrested 13 people in connection with a dog fighting ring. They also recovered 22 dogs. The arrests were the result of an investigation that went on for several years.

In Buffalo, New York, 34-year-old Shanon Richardson recently pled not guilty to 6 counts of animal cruelty. He was arrested last December and police rescued 4 dogs from the property. Richardson worked in the Buffalo Police Department jail. Sadly, one of the rescued dogs has gone missing and may have been stolen by dog fighters.

About these ads

About Rumpy Drummond

14 thoughts on “Dog Fighting in the News! #NDFAD

1. Sentences really should be tougher!!

Posted by 25castleson25clouds | April 8, 2014, 7:45 AM
  2. I feel so sorry for this dogs, I’ve read it’s very difficult to reintegrate this dogs or to give them a new home. I can’t understand how people can like to watch fights, who has fun to see violence and blood? That’s sick.

Posted by easyweimaraner | April 8, 2014, 8:47 AM
  3. Thanks for sharing this info Rump.
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

Posted by Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady | April 8, 2014, 8:58 AM
  4. I didn’t know that we had still “dog fighting ” in Japan….but we know that ” Tosa Inu Dog” is one of the breeds that human raise it as one of the fighter dogs…. :(

Posted by eripanwkevin | April 8, 2014, 9:16 AM
  5. Reblogged this on kanzen sakura and commented:
    #NDFAD Today is National Dog Fighting Awareness Day…Thank you to Rumpy

Posted by kanzensakura | April 8, 2014, 9:21 AM
  6. Thanks again Rumpy. I am reblogging this one as companion piece to the previous article you shared.

Posted by kanzensakura | April 8, 2014, 9:22 AM
  7. :-) well done on raising awareness x

Posted by mythreemoggies | April 8, 2014, 10:02 AM
  8. Thanks for helping raise awareness! :)

Posted by paws2smile | April 8, 2014, 10:22 AM
  9. Glad justice is seeing daylight in some places. We’ve got a really big case still under investigation in Ventura County with the 17 dogs that were confiscated still in criminal hold. The county is in an uproar about the man raising them to fight and equally in an uproar that the investigation is taking so long!

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | April 8, 2014, 11:20 AM
  10. We’re counting on an especially negative experience for all dog fighters, this life or the next.

Posted by savedbydogs | April 8, 2014, 11:59 AM
  11. We have huge rings here. Terrible. Watch your dogs! Those people like to capture your dog, grind off their teeth, and other horrid things, then put the dog in the ring and watch them die!

Linda

Posted by dayphoto | April 8, 2014, 12:24 PM
  12. I love your purple heart.

Posted by Hi folks. It's BJ Pup | April 8, 2014, 8:45 PM
  13. Pawfull Hu’manz who make dogz fight…me iz so sad fer da poochiez!!
    Apawz Apawz fer da GUUD Hu”manz who are bustin da bad peeple n stoppin further abusez to da poochiez,,,,
    Lub Nylablue n Mum too xoxoxo

Posted by Nylabluesmum | April 12, 2014, 6:27 PM

What would you like to add to the conversation? Leave a comment below!

What? What do you want? -Malachi

about.me

Rumpy Dog

Rumpy Dog

All About Me!

Hi! My name is Rumpy, and I am an Alaskan Malamute. I used to live in Middle Tennessee, but now my family and I reside in southeast Alabama. I have this cool blog that I started in 2011. Here at rumpydog.com we talk about all things animal, with a focus on animal welfare and responsible animal companion guardianship. But we also like to throw in a heaping helping of cute! cute! cute! I mean, how could you look at me and not melt, right?

My story? Well, I was found on the side of a busy street. Jenny thought she would help me find my home, but nobody claimed me. So now I live with her. She's a pretty good ole' gal, but she is mighty stingy with the dog cookies. *sigh*

There are also some cats- they each have their own story. June Buggie is their chief spokesperson. He is 16 years old, crotchety, and not afraid to say what's on his mind.

All writings and photos are the copyright property of Jenny Threet (unless the writer is a guest blogger, in which case it is the property of that guest blogger) and may not be used without permission.

You can contact me at rumpydog@hotmail.com.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.