activism

Product Testing on Animals- a Dirty Little Secret

A recent search for job openings in the field of animal welfare was quite unsettling- almost all the jobs listed were for research lab assistants.  I was shocked. I mean, it’s one of those things we all know goes on, but how many of us know the extent of product testing on animals?

I’ll bet you didn’t know there are thousands of such labs in the US, experimenting on all sorts of animals, including mice, rats, frogs, dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, monkeys, fish, and birds. There’s no clear number of how many animals are used, because there are no tracking requirements. Estimates are it’s somewhere around 100 MILLION animals each year. And much of that research is funded by you- either through government grants through the NIH or by your support of products that are tested on animals.

Millions of animals live like this so you can have pouty lips and long lashes. How sad.

Actually, most of us here in the US are OK with product testing on animals. True, we don’t like that cute little puppies or kitties suffer, but it’s for the good of humanity. Right?

Except that isn’t exactly what happens.

Animal research is one of those things we do because, “We’ve always done it this way,” but that doesn’t mean it’s necessarily effective. For instance, did you know cancer has been cured in mice for years? Sure has. But that knowledge didn’t cure cancer in humans, did it?

And much of that research on animals isn’t necessarily for medications.

Many of the products you use every day, from the soap that washes your laundry to the make-up you use, is tested on animals.

That’s right. That cleaner you use that’s safe for your sweet dog? It was first tested on animals.

That lotion that makes your skin so soft? The shampoo that gives your hair bounce?

Surely you don’t believe animals should suffer for your vanity, do you?

So why not decide that from now on you’ll use products that are cruelty-free? It’s not as difficult as you might think. Just look for products with one of these logos, and you know that product hasn’t been tested on animals and doesn’t contain animal products.

veganandcrueltyfree

Even here in the Deep South, I have no problems finding cleaning products that are cruelty-free, thanks to Seventh Generation cleaning and personal care products.

What about cruelty-free make-up? The possibilities are limitless these days, and there are some great bloggers out there, including Moxie Reviews and Buying Cruelty Free, who can introduce you to the cruelty-free beauty products available, so you can know what you’re buying.

With today’s technological advances, there are many options for product-testing besides doing so on animals. Don’t be a part of the problem by supporting this tired old process. Buy cruelty-free.

About these ads

34 thoughts on “Product Testing on Animals- a Dirty Little Secret

1. I personally think products should be tested on either human volunteers or the prison population. I hate to see animals suffer so humans can feel safe and secure.

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | June 24, 2014, 6:30 AM
  2. There are so many companies today which don’t test on animals that it’s really easy being cruelty-free!
    Thank you for sharing this information. Unfortunately many people are simply not aware of this issue.
    [http://marinakanavaki.com/2014/05/28/animal-testing-really-people/]

Posted by marina kanavaki | June 24, 2014, 6:41 AM
  3. I only buy products what are not tested on animals and I try to find out if they use ingedients what come from cruelty free companies too before I buy a product. I think that’s a small effort we all could bear when we love animals :o)

Posted by easyweimaraner | June 24, 2014, 7:00 AM
  4. I actually was taking pics of my cleaning and other products the other day to do a post..all vegan cruelty free smart products..and they are very effective and also price is not prohibitive..also many places to find hints for these cleaning products we use and how to make them yourself :)

Posted by fozziemum | June 24, 2014, 7:14 AM
  5. Sharing! This is powerful information, well articulated. Thank you for putting this together, and I hope it causes a few more people to think critically about this issue

Posted by Roy Sexton (Reel Roy Reviews) | June 24, 2014, 7:17 AM
  6. I hate testing on animals, and try my best to buy cruelty free. But its not so easy to do when you realise which big company owns the ‘little green company’ and find out that the big company tests everything on anything!!

Posted by 25castleson25clouds | June 24, 2014, 7:54 AM
  7. I began dismissing products that did not say “not tested on animals” decades ago and I’ve been following the Leaping Bunny for years after reading their requirements and certification process. They even helped me bust a company that was using their logo but was not certified by them, so be certain to research the company even if you see the logo, and make sure it’s the actual logo, not a slightly altered version.

Most people do think animal testing is medical, but much of it is for health and beauty products and it’s not even for our safety–it’s for their legal standing because the manufacturers change their “formulas” each year so they can introduce a “new and improved” product for marketing reasons and they use the testing regimens just to cover their butts for their patent and in case some idiot tries to consume the product and is injured or killed and they are sued. No testing on animals for cosmetics is required by the government, and clinical testing works better than animal testing anyway. If scientists don’t know by now what substances will harm or kill us in various ways, I think we need new scientists.

Posted by Bernadette | June 24, 2014, 7:54 AM
  8. We use Seventh Generation products, but I did not know about the bunny logo. I will be looking for that. Thanks for getting the word out. ;-)

Posted by earthriderjudyberman | June 24, 2014, 8:33 AM
  9. I had no idea that they cured cancer in mice already! Wow!
    I always buy cruelty free. And if I can’t find what I am looking for with a label that says no animal testing, I use something else….period.
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

Posted by Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady | June 24, 2014, 9:26 AM
  10. I’m so glad you wrote about this! There are thousands of no animal testing products…we should all take two seconds to confirm that on the packaging before we buy!

Posted by Ann Sowards | June 24, 2014, 10:53 AM
  11. Concern about animal testing has led me to use fewer products entirely. I no longer use conditioner, foundation, eye liner and about a half dozen other products. That means I have fewer labels to check for the few things I do buy.

And buying fewer products benefits the environment (if not the bottom line of corporations).

Great reminder.

Posted by somethingwagging | June 24, 2014, 1:58 PM
  12. So true, it doesn’t take much-any effort to shop responsibly. A lot of local and/or handmade personal products contain no animal ingredients and aren’t tested on animals.

Posted by EllaDee | June 24, 2014, 9:12 PM
  13. Thanks for sharing this info. I’ve seen more & more of the vegan labels on products – a good thing.

Posted by Sarah at LolaThePitty.com | June 24, 2014, 10:59 PM
  14. Thank you for more information Rumpy. I try my best to look and be sure things are not tested on animals and have the words and symbols you provided. It is easier than it was 20 years ago! many things I stopped using then and still do not use. No pouty lips and bouncy hair for me if it comes at the expense of an innocent animal.

Posted by kanzensakura | June 24, 2014, 11:06 PM
  15. Terrible

Posted by willowdot21 | June 25, 2014, 2:29 AM
  16. A search on “animal welfare” brings up “research jobs” !!!!!!!! Evil oxymoron!!

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | June 25, 2014, 9:00 AM
  17. I HATE that this still happens. I have been shopping cruelty free for almost two years now and I have found so many products that I now love. Some are harder than others, but they can be found.

Posted by Jan K | July 1, 2014, 11:45 AM
  18. Thank you for the post and for mentioning my blog, Rumpy! Please tell Jen to give you extra treats from me and my Berners!

Posted by Moxie Reviews (@MoxieReviews) | July 21, 2014, 12:18 PM
  19. Anuddew gwreat posty Rumpy. :)

Luv ya’

Dezi

Posted by dezizworld | July 25, 2014, 2:53 PM
  20. I think this is among the most important info for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But wanna
    remark on few general things, The website style is ideal, the
    articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

Posted by vanity number | September 22, 2014, 9:13 AM

1. Pingback: Product Testing on Animals- a Dirty Little Secret | Catgurl40's Blog - June 24, 2014

Rumpy is enjoying the cool fall evening air! #dogsofinstagram #dogs #alaskanmalamute #malamute #cute #yarddog

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.