A poem about a dog

Today I want to share with you one of my favorite poems.  It was written by the movie star Jimmy Stewart about his dog.  It always makes me smile… and it makes me cry.  I hope you like it too.

Jimmy Stewart

“Beau”

by Jimmy Stewart

He never came to me when I would call
Unless I had a tennis ball,
Or he felt like it,
But mostly he didn’t come at all.

When he was young
He never learned to heel
Or sit or stay,
He did things his way.

Discipline was not his bag
But when you were with him things sure didn’t drag.
He’d dig up a rosebush just to spite me,
And when I’d grab him, he’d turn and bite me.

He bit lots of folks from day to day,
The delivery boy was his favorite prey.
The gas man wouldn’t read our meter,
He said we owned a real man-eater.

He set the house on fire
But the story’s long to tell.
Suffice it to say that he survived
And the house survived as well.

On the evening walks, and Gloria took him,
He was always first out the door.
The Old One and I brought up the rear
Because our bones were sore.

He would charge up the street with Mom hanging on,
What a beautiful pair they were!
And if it was still light and the tourists were out,
They created a bit of a stir.

But every once in a while, he would stop in his tracks
And with a frown on his face look around.
It was just to make sure that the Old One was there
And would follow him where he was bound.

We are early-to-bedders at our house–
I guess I’m the first to retire.
And as I’d leave the room he’d look at me
And get up from his place by the fire.

He knew where the tennis balls were upstairs,
And I’d give him one for a while.
He would push it under the bed with his nose
And I’d fish it out with a smile.

And before very long
He’d tire of the ball
And be asleep in his corner
In no time at all.

And there were nights when I’d feel him
Climb upon our bed
And lie between us,
And I’d pat his head.

And there were nights when I’d feel this stare
And I’d wake up and he’d be sitting there
And I reach out my hand and stroke his hair.
And sometimes I’d feel him sigh
and I think I know the reason why.

He would wake up at night
And he would have this fear
Of the dark, of life, of lots of things,
And he’d be glad to have me near.

And now he’s dead.
And there are nights when I think I feel him
Climb upon our bed and lie between us,
And I pat his head.

And there are nights when I think
I feel that stare
And I reach out my hand to stroke his hair,
But he’s not there.

Oh, how I wish that wasn’t so,
I’ll always love a dog named Beau.

This poem is from Jimmy Stewart and His Poems by Jimmy Stewart, published by Crown Publishers, Inc. in 1989.

I'm Jen, caregiver to the late, great Rumpydog and now to some rather pesky kitties. You can follow us on Twitter - @FineMellowFella and @HissyFitJones. And don't forget to LIKE our Facebook pages! Thanks!

33 thoughts on “A poem about a dog

1. That’s a great poem and it’s moving to watch Jimmy Stewart recite it. At first it seems a bit tongue in cheek, but as the poem continues and Jimmy shows his true emotions for his friend, it’s very heartwarming.

Posted by Raven & Sammi (@indulgedfurries) | September 20, 2011, 1:16 AM
  2. Yes Rumpy, the poem is funny till the middle of it, but from there, I couldn’t stop my tears…What a touching poem this is! It reminds me my old brofur dog who has already gone to Rainbow Bridge long time ago. *sniff* Thanks for letting us know about this poem.

Posted by eripanwkevin | September 20, 2011, 1:50 AM
  3. Oh Rumpy, what a sweet poem, happy and sad. Jimmy Stewart is one of mum’s favourites.

Posted by Teagan | September 20, 2011, 2:53 AM
  4. ‘And there were nights when I’d feel him
    Climb upon our bed
    And lie between us,
    And I’d pat his head.’

This could be about me and my Bruno, too. 🙂

How I wish you guys had much, much longer lives.

Posted by tita buds | September 20, 2011, 4:04 AM
  5. *wipes tears* Oh Rumpy! Thanks for sharing that beautiful poem. It’s just lovely.

Posted by Sheri | September 20, 2011, 8:27 AM
  6. Great poemmmmmmmmm, luvd it

Posted by ♡ The Tale Of My Heart ♡ | September 20, 2011, 8:52 AM
  7. can I tell you just how much I ADORED this? Well….I just did! 🙂

Posted by catchatcaren | September 20, 2011, 10:17 AM
  8. That poem was cool. Maybe my person will write one about me – but I want it to end happier. -Bongo

Posted by BongoDogOwner | September 20, 2011, 1:17 PM
  9. My dog, whose name was also Beau just passed away, so this is really special. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Posted by Erin McNaughton | September 20, 2011, 2:29 PM
  10. Wow, thank you for sharing that. Sat here and cried. I think we all have our very own “Beau”… called by another name, but that provided such comfort, just the same.
    🙂

Posted by Rolling with Husky | September 20, 2011, 2:48 PM
  11. In a way, if I were to own a dog, I’d own a husky. I’d name it Mishka and make it talk.

Posted by smokeyourcigarbrother | September 20, 2011, 4:37 PM
  12. This is really touching and nearly made me cry. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Posted by Julie Flanders | September 20, 2011, 5:37 PM
  13. Wow, what a tear jerker! Sniff! I loved Jimmy Stewart. A great actor and a great poet, too, by the looks of it. Powerful stuff.

Posted by Cathy Thorneycroft Graham | September 21, 2011, 5:59 AM
  14. What a treasure, thank you for sharing this 🙂

Posted by Teresa Silverthorn | September 21, 2011, 7:32 AM
  15. I remember Jimmy reading his poetry on the Tonight Show years ago. Good memories 🙂

Posted by Watching Seasons | September 21, 2011, 11:54 AM
  16. How wonderful ! This brought tears to my eyes. My human lived for 15 years with a cat named Grabote. 5 years later she still misses her as Grabote was her best and closest friend and they went through so much together.
    Thank you for sharing Rumpy, I did not know this poem. Lovely words Mr Stewart ♥

Posted by chabichou | September 22, 2011, 7:39 AM

1. Pingback: Weekday Links | tita buds' blog - October 6, 2011

2. Pingback: Oh Dog! It’s Monday! « rumpydog - August 27, 2012

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )