Product Reviews

Monday Morning Blues

It’s Monday, and I know you expected the Social Media Swap, but I’ve got the blues!

I got those Monday mornin’, pet food recall, worried ’bout my cookies blues.
I’m worried that my food’s contaminated, and how that salmonella got through.
I’m checking labels,
reading tables,
and wonderin’ just what I’m gonna do…
Oh oh those Monday mornin’, pet food recall, worried ’bout my cookies blues.
(Copyright Jenny Threet, 2012, all rights reserved)

There’s a huge recall of pet foods possibly contaminated by salmonella going on. What started as a Diamond pet foods recall has grown to include other brands also manufactured by the Diamond Company.

BRANDS AFFECTED BY RECALL

• Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
  • Country Value
  • Diamond
  • Diamond Naturals
  • Premium Edge
  • Professional
  • 4Health
  • Taste of the Wild

Natural Balance has also issued a recall at the request of the FDA.  Here’s a list of their foods on the recall list.

If you feed any of these brands, please go HERE to find out about the recall.  DeDe eats Taste of the Wild, but fortunately the food we bought most recently was not a part of the recall.  The guys over at The Thundering Herd have some useful info about other brands they’re trying and about food storage, so check it out.

The other reason I have the blues is the WordPress application now defaults for commenters to receive emails for each follow-up comment. So if you comment on my blog, you have to uncheck that box, or else you’ll receive an email every time someone posts a subsequent comment on my blog.

This weekend I visited ALOT of blogs, and since I’m not used to that new default, I have an email account FULL of comment notifications. It’s VERY frustrating!!!

So be aware that if you leave that box checked, you’ll get emails too.

I just hope that doesn’t discourage other people from commenting….. and give them the blues too.  *sigh*

I'm Jen, caregiver to the late, great Rumpydog and now to some rather pesky kitties. You can follow us on Twitter - @FineMellowFella and @HissyFitJones. And don't forget to LIKE our Facebook pages! Thanks!

38 thoughts on “Monday Morning Blues

1. Seems everyone has the ‘follow up email’ blues Rumpy. I definitely do! Oh, and mumma says I also have the flu too – which is a little tricky when you’re only 15 months old and makes you want to love your mumma then not be cuddled all in the blink of an eye. Blues all around. Lots of bubba cuddles, Bubba

Posted by bumpyroadtobubba | May 7, 2012, 1:03 AM
  2. Thank you dear Rumpy, I have already done this UNCHECKED but I see that still I have emails… But I noticed that something changed again, in every post comment wordpress asks my e-mail adrress and user name and blog address and also there is a (or un)check box too… But I think once I should make then it will be ok… I HOPE. Have a nice day dearest friends and dear Jenny, love, nia

Posted by niasunset | May 7, 2012, 1:11 AM
  3. Ah, you guys! Mondays are bad enough, and seem to roll around every two days as it is. It’s not fair to be buried in bad news as well. Thanks so much for the warnings about the recalled foods and the lists to check out. So far, none of the things we eat are on it! But that’s a pretty big list. We sure hope none of your cookies get recalled. Or the ducky jerky!!

Our human grandma lost her dog to bad food after a recall a couple of years ago. WalMart hadn’t pulled it off the shelf in time. She’s still sad and hasn’t gotten another pup. Everyone needs at least one pup to cuddle!!

Love & loud purring from us!

Posted by Annabelle Essert (@RainbowCatsx8) | May 7, 2012, 1:45 AM
  4. Thanks for the heads up Rumpy. Let’s hope that people take note and don’t inadvertantly feed their pets with contaminated food. I hope your blues disappear soon!

Posted by Bassas Blog | May 7, 2012, 2:30 AM
  5. I got the Monday blues to cause Mom has to go back to work and I’ll be all alone. Well almost alone, Isaiah is here, but he just does his own thing Can you believe he ignores me. Me – Cleo the Diva – the most beautiful kitty he knows? *sigh* I guess he is just jealous of my beauty. I hope you get your cookies.

Posted by Cleo The-diva Sykes | May 7, 2012, 3:30 AM
  6. Thank you for all this important information about foods, treats, AND WordPress. Ugh. It’s enough to give ANYONE the blues! You should go to the park and look for some goodies on the ground. That will cheer you up. Once I found spilled popcorn with a few ants on it. Yum!

Love and licks,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | May 7, 2012, 4:17 AM
  7. Mondays are always grim – but this Monday isn’t so bad as it is a Bank Holiday in the UK. However, as the sun is not shining and it is raining (still), it feels like a normal Monday – especially with a poorly (or should that be pawly?) computer. WordPress can be frustrating with its ‘assumed’ comments follow-up – many thanks for the reminder. Have a good day Rumpy.

Posted by Jill | May 7, 2012, 4:44 AM
  8. Oh Rumpy…I wanna get the blues away from you!!! Go away those bluse! Grrrrr……
    Yes I got unfamilier emails lately and now understand why it happened! Thanks for letting us know it and the food recall, too Rumpy! 🙂

Posted by eripanwkevin | May 7, 2012, 4:45 AM
  9. Hey, Rumpy, thanks for the heads up on both the pet food recalls and the new WordPress default system on comments. (I wonder why WP put that up. We already get notifications of replies to our own comments via our navigation bar and it’s good enough, isn’t it?)

Posted by tita buds | May 7, 2012, 4:49 AM
    • To annoy our readers maybe?

Posted by rumpydog | May 7, 2012, 6:10 AM
      • Hey, it seems just un-checking the notify option in the same blog once will apply to every comment you then post afterwards on that same blog. (At least that’s what happened with my two comments here.) Can you do me a favor, Rumpy? I did a little experiment where I removed the option to include the ‘Follow Comments options’ in the comments box on my blog. Can you comment again on my latest post like ‘Test by Rumpy’ and I’ll post a comment, too (not a reply). I just want to see if it works. Thanks very much.

Posted by tita buds | May 7, 2012, 7:01 AM
  10. Thanks for the info! Thankfully DeDE’s food was okay. Whew! Mondays are a good day for napping anyways! I caught on pretty quick to the whole comment thingy too, after my inbox was full! LOL!

Posted by Bassetmomma | May 7, 2012, 6:58 AM
  11. Wonderful post. I didn’t know about the recall and I use Natural Balance. Thanks for the heads up and on the comments as well.

Posted by edithlevyphotography | May 7, 2012, 7:45 AM
  12. The food recall is a worrisome thing!

Posted by Tandy | May 7, 2012, 8:15 AM
  13. Oh dear! You are having a bad day aren’t you? There’s always one food health scare or another on the go so this will no doubt be replaced by another one soon so no worries there,…lol…as to the W/P blues…everyone will soon get to grips with it and I’m sure it won’t put anybody off commenting so don’t worry 🙂 Be happy!

Posted by europasicewolf | May 7, 2012, 8:37 AM
  14. I ONLY consumes the Canidae products. Yep uh huh theyza makes Felidae fur we felines and Canidae foods for youza pooches. No purroblems – all healthy stuff (and some wheat free products too)

Posted by Guido Basolo | May 7, 2012, 9:31 AM
  15. I had the blues Friday night/Saturday morning over the recall….I had to take back Elka’s new bag of Taste of the Wild. She seems okay from having eaten the little bit of it that she did, but I didn’t want to risk it.

Posted by Jen | May 7, 2012, 9:53 AM
  16. yes I’ve been getting the WordPress emails too!!!

We ‘re not used to having pet food recalled. I can understand why it would be worrying indeed!!! Rumpy, you have to have your cookie fix xox

Posted by CATachresis | May 7, 2012, 10:22 AM
  17. Crap! Cali’s food is on the list and is part of the recall. We just bought it last week so I will be taking it back today 😦 Thanks so much for posting this. I had no idea Taste of the Wild was part of the recall. Now I’m blue too!!

P.S. I got a ton of follow up email about the feral kitties post . . .silly little button!!

Posted by julesmelfi | May 7, 2012, 10:57 AM
  18. i worry and check labels also, but with human foods. it is a sad time when we have to check what country our food was made in, what chemicals were placed in

Posted by terry1954 | May 7, 2012, 11:22 AM
  19. First thanks for the mention about the “WP default to notify me etcetc” Lord, I could not imagine why I had SO many emails and most of them about what others said on blogs where I commented! YIKES! I knew what had happened but could not figure out WHY.
    And I let all my co-volunteers at the shelter where I came from know about the food recalls. I just sent an email with a link to your blog so they can use your links for more info. Thanks for the heads up and now I think I am blue too….

Posted by Savannah's Paw Tracks | May 7, 2012, 1:44 PM
  20. Hi, Rumpy – I nominated your blog for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award. Details are on my blog.

Posted by Line of Serenity (Joyce Fields) | May 7, 2012, 2:41 PM
  21. Somehow the checkbox doesn’t show when I comment and I haven’t received any email either, gonna guess that’s a good thing….

Posted by Doggy'sStyle | May 7, 2012, 3:00 PM
  22. Rumpy we have the blues too.You’re poem summed up our feelings. This is all the more reason for humans to start cooking for us. We can already hear our humans sighing in the background. Hopefully there are no Tuesday blues!
    Bella and DiDi

Posted by Paws To Talk | May 7, 2012, 4:50 PM
  23. Thanks for letting us know about the recalls. These are always so scary that I now understand why more people are switching their dogs to a raw foods diet.

Posted by Alison | May 7, 2012, 5:41 PM
  24. Rumpy, the recalls are scary.
    I miss our old Tiger cat: he was the best at checking out food and never failed to halt if something was wrong – I never doubted him as he always turned out to be right. Unbelievable instinct that protected all 3 of our cats at that time.
    Wordpress is messing with stuff again…and driving us crazy. (OK …crazier)

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | May 7, 2012, 5:58 PM
  25. Hey, Rumpy, I am the one who told you about unchecking that comment box,remember? I just wish we could get notifications about followup replies to just the comments WE posted,you know?

Posted by granbee | May 7, 2012, 6:15 PM
  26. Fortunately,(sigh of relief), my dogfood was NONE of these recalled brands! Whew!

Posted by granbee | May 7, 2012, 6:16 PM
  27. We can so understand your worries about the food. Our kibble isn’t on the list but who knows what will happen in the future? So very concerning.

Thanks for telling us about the comment thing. We have noticed it on a couple of wordpress blogs we visit and wondered why it was happening.

Hope your week improves.

Woos – Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Posted by Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning | May 7, 2012, 7:20 PM
  28. Hope all your pets’ food is safe, Rumpy Dog. I remember when we worried about that over another pet food product.
    Just so you know, there is no check box below the “Post comment” – for anyone to declare whether or not they want to receive EVERY comment a blogger makes to a blog s/he has commented on. I ran into the same problem over the weekend. My e-mail was inundated with replies to blogs I’d been on – but the comments were not for me. Frustrating when I follow so many blogs.

Posted by earthriderjudyberman | May 7, 2012, 7:43 PM
  29. Ugh! Very worrisome about the food recall. I have RT for you. xo

Posted by Moxie Reviews™ | May 7, 2012, 9:37 PM
  30. scary…both the food and WP

Posted by Jo Bryant | May 8, 2012, 1:34 AM
  31. I read about the pet food recall too. It is very worrisome, especially since I have used some of the Kirkland food for my babies. Like you, it fortunately wasn’t the infected batch, but it caused a heartstopping moment. I sent out an email with a link to the page I saw the news on (http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com).

Thanks for the heads-up on WP. I will check before I click on “Post Comment.” Drat, another thing to remember.

Posted by Sandra Bell Kirchman | May 8, 2012, 12:42 PM
  32. scary stuff….. thanks for the heads up

Posted by colliesofthemeadow | May 8, 2012, 4:14 PM
  33. I believe I read in the latest list Canidae too. 😦

Posted by rambling1on | May 8, 2012, 6:40 PM
  34. That haiku is so much better than we could have done! Thanks for visiting its really a pleasure to meet you! I think we wrote this comment in the wrong place! Haha, what goofs we are!

Posted by Oui Oui | May 8, 2012, 10:20 PM

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

No Instagram images were found.