Meow! My name is June Buggie, and I have something to say.
This is a warning for all you cats out there!
Recently Jen went to PetSmart to buy some Frontline for the dogs. A clerk told her some fleas were resistant to that product and recommended a product sold over the counter in the Banfield clinic- it was called First Shield.
Jen asked the clerk if it was OK to use on DeDe, a dog on meds and skin problems. The clerk said yes. She also told the clerk about us cats. She was told to keep us separate awhile and it should be fine. So she bought the stuff. Then when she got it home she saw the primary ingredient was permethrin. Jen raised alot of hell but she did return the stuff and got her money back.
Do you know about permethrin? It is believed to be relatively safe for dogs (that is debatable), but can be toxic to cats. For some cats as little as one drop can lead to pyrethroid toxicosis. Symptoms include muscle tremors, seizures, hypersalivation, depression, vomiting, anorexia. Some cats have died as a result of exposure. If your cat shows symptoms, take him or her to your vet.
Permethrin is sold legally in many over-the-counter flea products. Using that stuff on your cat is dangerous, so DON’T DO IT!
And before you think it’s safe to use on your dog, consider this: Cats who live in close proximity to dogs can come in contact with the product when applied to the dog.
If your cat goes outdoors, your cat can be exposed if your municipality uses permethrin in mosquito sprays.
Permethrin is toxic to fish, beneficial insects and honey bees.
Human infants are more sensitive to Permethrin than adults. Traces of Permethrin have been found in breast milk.
So make your human aware and make sure they do their homework before using products that include Permethrin. Your life depends on it.
Tiny Timmy’s Healing Journey is another great blog resource; here’s his flea/tick control recommendations.