June Buggie Rants!

June Buggie is Back!

MEOW! My name is June Buggie, and I have something to say!

That’s MR. June Buggie to you!

Today I’ve come to ask you to not be so quick to fly off the handle. Do your research. And don’t believe anything you read or see.

It never ceases to amaze me that in these days of Photoshop, people read something on Facebook that upsets them, and suddenly they are all up at arms and ready to do battle without first doing a little research on their own.

For instance, there’s a picture of a dogfight in a bar that has lots of flags advertising Heineken. From the looks of things, you’d think Heineken was promoting the dogfight.   But when I went to Snopes.com, I discovered that Heineken had promoted a party the night before in this bar in Mongolia, and that the bar hadn’t bothered to take down the signs. Heineken was NOT aware of the dogfight, and no longer promotes ANY activities at this particular bar.

Then there’s the pictures and story of the dogs in China being rescued from slaughter for food. People are aghast and vow to hate ALL Chinese forever. It is true that some people see dogs and cats as a food source.  I don’t like it, but I must accept that is their cultural norm. Funny, we do the same thing to chickens and pigs here in the US all the time. Where’s the uproar over that activity?

But the one that upsets me the most is those that read the information put out by HumaneWatch, get all upset, and start posting HumaneWatch information all over Facebook.  Hey, you’re welcome to believe whatever you want, but did you at least FIRST do your homework on HumaneWatch is?  Maybe you can start here, then Google Rick Berman for more information.

Bottom line, if you’re promoting HumaneWatch, you’re supporting the very people you claim to be opposed to– namely the breeder industry, the animal agricultural industry, etc.

My advice to you is that if you see something that upsets you, do a little Google search. I like to check out Snopes.com, a website devoted to debunking myths. I also check out reputable news sources and web sites. And if all else fails, I go to the sources.  Thanks to the Internet, you are within reach, no matter where you live.

Got that? Good. Now, back to my regularly-scheduled morning post-breakfast nap.

MEOW!

Rumpy has gone on from this plane. We, his kitty siblings,continue to blog about animal welfare and responsible care of companion animals at rumpydog.com in his stead. You can follow us on Twitter - @RumpyDog. And don't forget to LIKE our Facebook page! Thanks!

60 thoughts on “June Buggie is Back!

1. Welcome back June Buggie – I missed your posts. I always research anything I see on the Internet because nothing is ever as it seems. Good advice.

Posted by Isaiah's Mom | September 6, 2012, 6:09 AM
  2. You’re a wise little MAN, June Buggy!

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | September 6, 2012, 6:35 AM
  3. Hi June Buggy! Hope you’re adjusting well to the new “digs” there in Florida! I totally agree with you about checking things out before leaping to judgment. Without doing research to get the truth of things, we can all get things wrong and snap decisions sometimes lead to BIG mistakes. Thanks for reminding us all to make up our OWN minds about stuff! You’re a wise kitty….. 😀 😀

Kitty Hugs, Sammy

Posted by onespoiledcat | September 6, 2012, 6:35 AM
  4. Very true MR. June Buggie! On the dog issue in China, I think that the inhumane part is that they are being brutally tortured before becoming a meal.
    Don’t get me wrong, my wish is that we could live as vegetarians and leave poor animals be, however I do respect different cultures. What I can’t cope with is brutality. Internet is so crowded and controlled, it’s actually very very hard to get the truth on any matter, so yes MR. June Buggie, caution is needed!

Posted by marina kanavaki | September 6, 2012, 6:40 AM
  5. Well said June Buggy – the PR industry is nothing if not devious and faaaar too many people believe what they read without question.

Posted by Animalcouriers | September 6, 2012, 6:54 AM
  6. Awwww…..dearest June Buggieeee!!!!!! Welcome back! 🙂 Glad to see your lovely cute face! *blush* Yes you’re very true, June Buggie, we shouldn’t hurry to make a decision without knowing total story and need to get information as much as possible! Well…about China article….I do respect the other cultures like Marina said but I feel very sorry for those animals for food…..

Posted by eripanwkevin | September 6, 2012, 6:59 AM
  7. So true! One needs to check all sources.However, after having lived in Hong Kong for many years and traveling throughout Asia ,there are many pet parents that spoil their pets.However, there is an underworld of triads(gangs) and dog kidnapping for the dog meat trade that many people are not aware of and it has been happening for many years.The sadness is that there is not much that is being done about it and these poor dogs and cats suffer cruel fates. Woof!:(

Posted by booksforever1blog. BarkUpToday! | September 6, 2012, 7:08 AM
  8. Thank catness Mom and Dad don’t read that stuff. May mean they are uninformed sometimes but then again they don’t take action without research and thanks June Buggie for the tip about snope, didn’t know about it. Paw pats, Savannah

Posted by Savannah's Paw Tracks | September 6, 2012, 8:57 AM
  9. Well pawed little mate! I prefer to eat books and I pretty much only watch the cartoon network. Be well furiends,

RA

Posted by RAHUSKY | September 6, 2012, 9:48 AM
  10. I haven’t seen the dog fight pic or ever heard of the HumaneWatch, but this is very good to know. Also good to know that you should do your research before you get involved.

I’d like to make a special note about China. My husband is Chinese so I’ve been to China. The life for a dog in China is very different from the pampered pups in Europe and North America. The Chinese people in general are not cruel to dogs. They just haven’t yet developed the same “pets are family” mentality. Dogs are mostly kept for work such as guarding, sometimes but rarely as a food source, and seldom as a pet – although pets are becoming more popular as their economy improves.

Posted by ILoveDogs | September 6, 2012, 9:54 AM
  11. June Buggie, you are one super intelligent kitty! Such an excellent post – I wish it would go viral. What’s even scarier is that some of the “I’ll believe anything” crowd also think that Reality TV is actually “reality”. Go figure.

Posted by raisingdaisy | September 6, 2012, 9:54 AM
  12. that is some PAWTASTIC ADVICE!
    Barks and licks and love, Dakota

Posted by catchatcaren | September 6, 2012, 10:04 AM
  13. Kitty, you preach it! 🙂

Posted by drangedinaz | September 6, 2012, 10:08 AM
  14. Amen! Well-said, June Buggie!

P.S., I hope Rumpy and DeDe don’t get upset over my new Gravatar image.
    😉

Posted by Lindy | September 6, 2012, 10:14 AM
  15. Urban legends can be fun, but thanks for setting us straight, JB!

Posted by Smaktakula | September 6, 2012, 10:52 AM
  16. Wise words – I often get frustrated by the “sheep” on face book who will begin to get all wound up sometimes over something that is the opposite of what it seems. Gut reactions are fine in private but should be followed up by good research before you start shouting and raving.

Posted by Tina Holmes | September 6, 2012, 10:53 AM
  17. Welcome Back MISTER June Buggy!!!

Posted by Frankie Furter and Ernie | September 6, 2012, 11:32 AM
  18. EXCELLENT Advice June Buggie!!!
    My wife used Snopes too.
    I must admit, sometimes I get upset too seeing all those cruel ads.
    Sometimes they are true and sometimes not.
    We should ALWAYS check them out first!
    Thank You June Buggie!

Posted by To Shea | September 6, 2012, 12:53 PM
  19. Go Buggie!! Well said mister!! 😉

Posted by europasicewolf | September 6, 2012, 1:49 PM
  20. Hello,
    I’m just letting you know that I have nominated you for the “Super Sweet Blogging Awards”. Go to http://jailbirdcat.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/the-super-sweet-blogging-award/ and make a new post, answer the questions and follow the rules!
    -Jailbirdcat

Posted by jailbirdcat | September 6, 2012, 2:02 PM
  21. You are so smart, June Buggie. Well put. I’d say more nice things but I’ve got to go tweet your wisdom. 🙂

Posted by Pamela Webster (@S_Wagging) | September 6, 2012, 2:38 PM
  22. Particularly good observations June Buggie. The internet gives us the ability to be informed and connected like never before. There’s no excuse for racism or ignorance.

Posted by EllaDee | September 6, 2012, 2:50 PM
  23. Oh I love it when June Buggie gets all stroppy

Posted by Jo Bryant | September 6, 2012, 3:25 PM
  24. Research, research, and more research are indeed the bywords here, June Buggie. No hasty conclusions need apply!

Posted by granbee | September 6, 2012, 3:43 PM
  25. It’s an instant gratification world. People don’t want to read too much and definitely don’t want to do any research. And pictures are good, lots of pictures, even lots of photoshopped pictures.

I knew things were getting bad when one of the television stations was broadcasting “live” from Times Square at the end of the millenium. Across the street was an advertisement for one of the other national TV brands, so the broadcasting station simply photoshoppped the offending brand out of there. So much for “live” TV.

Recently there was a picture of a half & half cat that went viral. I downloaded the picture and took it to Photoshop to examine it. It’s so obvious that the picture was photoshopped, and poorly at that. But a small picture on Facebook or the Internet can get the world’s panties in a wad.

Posted by Russel Ray Photos | September 6, 2012, 3:55 PM
  26. Great advice June Buggie!

Posted by Ellie and Edmond © | September 6, 2012, 5:31 PM
  27. Excellent info! If all bipeds would only follow this advice.

Posted by prancer pie | September 6, 2012, 6:40 PM
  28. You are so right! I love Snopes! Peeps used to send out emails with all kinds of silly info purporting to hurt someone in one way or another – like the one about rat urine on can tops, and in 95% of the cases it was a scam. The rest, the emails had been around so long it was outdated info and no longer applied. I started emailing the results back to the sender & all recipients asking them to double check before forwarding. There is as much misinformation as information out there and you need to check stuff out.

Posted by Oui Oui | September 6, 2012, 8:52 PM
  29. glad your back June Buggie!,i must say i’m no fan of people that eat things i consider to be pets 😦
    you are right about researching things you see on the internet.thanks for the link to snopes.com i’m going there now,i never heard of it before.

Posted by raven's witch | September 7, 2012, 1:51 AM
  30. Hey Rumpy, Jet here.

We support research, more info helps to make good decisions. 🙂

Posted by heyitsjethere | September 7, 2012, 12:46 PM
  31. Great post. It’s so easy these days for everyone to do a quick bit of research to find out the right story. Hardly like they need to be a trained detective.

Posted by Long Life Cats and Dogs | September 8, 2012, 8:05 AM
  32. Kudos and two thumbs up for you sweet June Buggie…fantastic post!!! Hugs and nose kisses

Posted by Chancy and Mumsy | September 8, 2012, 10:05 AM
  33. Double meow! Big paws up for this post!

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | September 8, 2012, 11:09 AM
  34. Thanks for tips, MR. June Buggie. I often check Snopes and refer others to it when I see something questionable.

Posted by earthriderjudyberman | September 8, 2012, 12:24 PM
  35. Oh June Buggie, you are so wise…

Posted by shereenielsen | September 8, 2012, 5:37 PM
  36. June Buggie, you are so smart and that is excellent advice!

Posted by Daisy the Curly Cat | September 9, 2012, 6:59 AM
  37. “Don’t believe everything you read on the internet just because there’s a picture with a quote next to it.” Abraham Lincoln.

Posted by Bassas Blog | September 10, 2012, 12:37 PM
  38. Imma Junie too: June 18, 1949.

Posted by Carl D'Agostino | October 5, 2012, 7:01 AM
  39. Doing homework before spouting off is always excellent advice– and I’m sure Mr. June Buggie would agree! : )

Posted by Mark Armstrong | October 28, 2012, 8:07 PM

1. Pingback: June Buggie is Back! | Catgurl40's Blog - September 6, 2012

Hissy Fit Jones takes a nap #formerferal #gingercat #cat #cats #catstagram #catsofinstagram