June Buggie’s Talking Dollars and Sense!

MEOW! My name is June Buggie, and I have something to say.

I’m ready to write my blog post.

TWO BILLION TAXPAYER DOLLARS. That is what it costs to impound, shelter, euthanize and dispose of homeless animals in the US each year (source: USA Today).

The City of Los Angeles decided to put money into low-cost spay/neuter programs, and found that they were euthanizing HALF of the animals they were previously. They also found that for every dollar they spent on low-cost spay/neuter programs, they saved ten dollars in animal control costs (source: Redemption by Nathan Winograd).

So spay/neuter should be a no-brainer, regardless of political affiliation.

And yet here we are in 2012 STILL spending that two billion dollars annually, and STILL killing millions of animals annually.

It’s time to stop the insanity.

Stop the Killing!

World Spay Day is one way to educate the public about the importance of spaying and neutering our pets. This is true for dogs, cats, rabbits, horses, and any other companion animal you share your life with. Are you breeding birds? Hamsters? Do you know what happens to those animals?

For Rumpy’s Gotcha Day we want people around the world to recognize the importance of spaying/ neutering companion animals, and make it possible for more people to get these desperately-needed medical services for their pets.

Will you help?

Here are some of the ways you can be a part of the World Spay Day Movement:

• volunteer at a spay/neuter event
  • coordinate a spay/neuter event
  • donate items or money to a spay/neuter event
  • get politically involved and work for mandatory spay/neuter laws

Stop wasting your hard-earned money killing perfectly healthy animals.  Let’s make spay/neuter the norm.

MEOW!

follow me on Twitter @JuneBuggieRants

39 thoughts on “June Buggie’s Talking Dollars and Sense!

1. Well said June Buggie. It is a no brainer. How to get people to listen?

Posted by Animalcouriers | October 9, 2012, 2:09 AM
  2. You said it, June Buggie!!!

Posted by CATachresis | October 9, 2012, 2:51 AM
  3. Animalscouriers echoes my intial thought exactly… how to get through to people. Via our forums we all agree but getting the message out there to people who don’t yet recognise what a difference the could make is the key. I like that the City of Los Angeles incentised the pet owners’ thinking… a lot of it comes down to how the money is spent – euthanase vs spay. Vey good cat sense June Buggie.

Posted by EllaDee | October 9, 2012, 2:52 AM
  4. great post june buggie,i wish i could catch all ofmy strays to get them “fixed”. i was able to take one in though …cause he walked right in my house.. his name is slinky cat,him and murphy cat love your article to!!

Posted by Morrighan | October 9, 2012, 4:17 AM
  5. Hooray the City of Los Angeles! We should learn from what they found! Around where we live, there aren’t any organizations that support spay/neuter for feral….some in Tokyo and the other areas though…We have to come up with a good idea to let humans know that we should spend our money for spay/neuter instead of euthanizing poor animals like you and the City of LA suggest on today’s post!
    *whisper* June Buggie, the better I know you, the prettier you look! *blush*

Posted by eripanwkevin | October 9, 2012, 5:44 AM
    • Kevin, these programs begin because somebody starts them. Maybe that somebody is you. Talk them up. Be the catalyst for change! I know you’re not the only one that thinks the way you do; I have several readers in Japan (according to my stats page).

Posted by rumpydog | October 9, 2012, 5:54 AM
  6. Politicians rarely use the brain when needed.
    I honestly thing that this is about money, not taxpayers money, but someone is making money out of this for sure, otherwise makes no sense at all.

Posted by Doggy's Style | October 9, 2012, 8:51 AM
  7. Mom and Dad promote spay/neuter everywhere they can. Our shelter offers help for low income people to get their companion animals spayed or neutered. We will try to find other ways to help. Thanks June B

Posted by Savannah's Paw Tracks | October 9, 2012, 10:21 AM
  8. Amen June Buggie! Mom’s going to see what we can do in our area.

Posted by Prudence & Theresa | October 9, 2012, 12:28 PM
  9. Always worth pointing out to people there are numerous unwanted pets in shelters desperate for homes, precisely because the original pet wasn’t neutered. Amazing how many people don’t realise this and don’t therefore consider that homing one of them rather than breeding more is worthy of consideration.

Posted by europasicewolf | October 9, 2012, 2:06 PM
  10. Spay and neutering is SO important!
    I always try to encourage people into letting their pets spay/neutering. It may be expensive, especially for the female animals, but it’s important and you will get rid off stress from both sides, the animal and the human. Not to mention, a lot of vets here are willing to help people if they don’t have enough money. There are special programs for that!

Posted by Dianda | October 9, 2012, 2:27 PM
  11. I wish that message would get across to the government here as well.

Posted by Jo Bryant | October 9, 2012, 2:51 PM
  12. The numbers are numbing. I hope your campaign catches fire and motivates people to spay and neuter their pets.

Posted by earthriderjudyberman | October 9, 2012, 5:06 PM
  13. Thanks for the info. It’s important for people to “get” the difference that spay/neutering makes.

Good to know that everyone in LA is in la la land 🙂

Posted by Lynda | October 9, 2012, 6:14 PM
  14. Hey Rumpy, Hey June Buggie, Jet here. Hi Miss Jen.

Excellent information, beyond horrible. As you know, I was 4 days away from becoming one of those statistics, so thank you for getting the word out.

Posted by heyitsjethere | October 9, 2012, 7:40 PM
  15. Hi Guys!
    me and Kozmo is both rescues from kill programs! Mommy and Daddy has lived in lots of cities and cities with Trap Neuter Release has way less cost than those that just kills!
    Kisses
    Nellie

Posted by catfromhell | October 9, 2012, 10:15 PM
  16. Well said. I’m booked in for mine at the end of Nov *gulp*

Posted by themisadventuresofmisaki | October 10, 2012, 6:01 AM
  17. When our SPCA sponsors a low cost spay and neuter event, many people take advantage. Goes to show that lots of people are willing to do the right thing if they can find a way to afford it.

Posted by Pamela Webster (@S_Wagging) | October 10, 2012, 1:05 PM

1. Pingback: June Buggie’s Talking Dollars and Sense! | Catgurl40's Blog - October 9, 2012