June Buggie is Scared!!!!

MEOW! My name is June Buggie and I have something to say!

This is an OFFICIAL June Buggie Rant!

Last month DeDe told you about veterinarians protesting at a low-cost spay/neuter clinic in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.

Well yesterday we learned that the Alabama State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners voted on a set of rules that would have made the state’s nonprofit spay/neuter clinics illegal. The rules were defeated, but not before the State Senate got involved and passed a measure that would have over-ruled the Board’s decision.

This made me boiling mad! For one thing, the AL State Board is chaired by Dr. Robert Pitman, a vet whose practice is located in Athens, Alabama. That’s the town where Jen was born. Hisssssss!!!!

But even more troubling is the fact that Alley Cat Allies surveyed vets in Alabama about the proposed rule and found that almost one-third of vets surveyed supported the measure.   These vets claimed the nonprofit clinics had an unfair business advantage. Also, many clinics refused to give a response, which makes me think they probably also supported the measure.

Folks, this frightens me!  Are there really that many vets out there that oppose low-cost spay/neuter clinics? Will other groups try the same tactic as they did in Alabama?

I encourage you to remain vigilant, not only in your state, but in others as well.  I fear this veterinarian backlash isn’t going away real soon.

MEOW!

44 thoughts on “June Buggie is Scared!!!!

1. Good for you, Miss June, for letting people know about this.

Posted by d'Artagnan Rumblepurr | October 12, 2012, 2:19 AM
  2. It has never occurred to me that veterinarians might be against spay/neuter clinics. How sad. So a pregnant dog is more likely to bring them money? Or, they just want the money from the spay/neutered themselves? This should be a study. What are veterinarian’s positions across the country on spay/neuter? It could tell us a lot and maybe help to address the issue if a systemic issue.

Very interesting and sad.

Posted by Mel | October 12, 2012, 3:55 AM
  3. Its got nothing to do with animal welfare and everything to do with money…… I hope they will accept the ruling and just let folk get animals neutered…. x

Posted by skezier | October 12, 2012, 4:22 AM
  4. What is it with business now – everything is all about the dollar. When did we go from being a compassionate nation to a greedy nation? 🙂

Posted by Isaiah's Mom | October 12, 2012, 4:37 AM
  5. That’s really worrying…

Posted by themisadventuresofmisaki | October 12, 2012, 4:47 AM
  6. 😦 meowwww

Posted by mythreemoggies | October 12, 2012, 4:54 AM
  7. i had not given it much thought until i had to arrange for one for my new buddy “slinky cat” who by the way is a ‘savanah cat’. i called the regular vets and for a male cat it’s $125.00,female cats are $245.00. then i thought wait a minute..what about the cheaper alternatives? so i checked on the internet and called a few. they average $45.00. i had wondered how the regular vet clinics felt about that to,now i know.i have decided though to take slinky to the regular vet,because he needs shots and he has an issue with his jaw and has trouble swallowing at times. right now he’s all snuggled up in my lap…:-) murphy cat however is a little upset. they and i say thank you june buggie for a timely post 🙂

Posted by Morrighan | October 12, 2012, 6:02 AM
    • That’s great that you’re financially able to make that choice. But many people aren’t. These are the people that need to have options for spay/neuter services. Trust me, there are alot of folks that need a companion because that’s about all they got going for them.

Posted by rumpydog | October 12, 2012, 6:10 AM
      • well it’s not so much that i’m finacially able to, it’s that i’ll have some money coming in next week. trust me if it wasn’t for the jaw/swallowing problem he has i’d take him to the cheaper one. it has to be lonely to not have another person at home and not have a pet to.so i applaud the agencies that help with the spay/neuter

Posted by Morrighan | October 12, 2012, 6:23 AM
  8. If this trend spreads to other states, where will low-income people and animal rescue groups go for spay/neuter surgeries? That would mean more litters, and more homeless pets! It’s ridiculous.

Posted by Vicki Cook | October 12, 2012, 6:10 AM
    • It is Vicki. That’s why we have to make sure we stay up-to-date on what’s going on. We live in FL but use the services of an Alabama vet, and yet we had no idea this was going on in that state until recently.

Posted by rumpydog | October 12, 2012, 6:12 AM
  9. 😦 That’s terrible!!!!

The Florida Furkids

Posted by The Florida Furkids | October 12, 2012, 6:51 AM
  10. Hi I love your photo!
    Would you like to add your cats photo on my Photo Corner page with Tammy,Shyna and Dessie etc?
    All you have to do is send me your cats name and photo and your blogs address, then I will put your cats photo and name on my photo corner page. And I will put a link on your cats photo going to your blog!
    Photo Corner Page Link:
    Send the photo and the cats name Via e-mail ( There is a e-mail button at the bottom of the photo corner page!)

Posted by thecoolcatblog | October 12, 2012, 7:20 AM
  11. If everyone was an animal lover, the world would be a MUCH better place.

Posted by Dawn | October 12, 2012, 7:50 AM
  12. Sad news, June Buggie…sometimes the world is so unfair!

Posted by easyweimaraner | October 12, 2012, 8:05 AM
  13. It’s all about the money, fini!

Posted by campfireshadows | October 12, 2012, 8:43 AM
  14. The job as a vet has to be helping poor animals, doesn’t it? How terrible to hear about those vets who oppose to a low- cost spay/neuter clinic….. 😦

Posted by eripanwkevin | October 12, 2012, 9:02 AM
  15. This makes me very sad. I do know that vets are having a hard time in this economy. Owners are going to vets less frequently because of the cost – especially senior citizens who are being priced out of pet ownership.
    Sadly many clinics force employed vets to “push” unnecessary procedures and treatments. Some vets are disheartened and refuse to work in those clinics – Often one man/group will operate multiple clinics in an area…and they have more lobbying clout because of their size.
    We have encountered vet clinics that do not care about feral cats and refuse to work on them ( no point as they don’t have owners who can pay year after year)
    The low cost clinics are important. (Although please check costs: we also found 2 supposed low cost clinics cost MORE for care.)
    Some vets do care and donate much time and effort to rescues – please support those.
    What happens in one state bleeds over to others – must watch this carefully!

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | October 12, 2012, 10:07 AM
    • yes, I doubt seriously this is an isolated incident. Of course, Alabama was probably a test case and they now see it won’t be so easy. Perhaps they should have started in Missouri- their political leaders don’t care about animals there.

Posted by rumpydog | October 12, 2012, 5:21 PM
  16. With the number of animals killed everyday in shelters, how can ANYONE object to encouraging people to spay/neuter? I was under the impression these clinics only offer spay/neutering services. That leaves the vets with everything else. I’ve looked for low cost vet care for my mother’s dog. It doesn’t seem to exist in this part of PA. The thing is, once the problem was explain to our vet, she discounted her services. But how many people don’t feel comfortable barring their financial soul to the vet, so their pet doesn’t get a vet visit or ends up in a shelter? Everyone needs to be able to make a living and I wish nothing but good things for our vet. I don’t know what the answer is, but there must be a better way to provide for our 4footed family members. Maybe a discount for seniors? Or a first come first serve clinic day, where there are no appointments and vaccinations and well pets visits are provided. Anything more serious could be referred to normal office hours? If vets don’t like low cost services being provided they need to come up with an answer so we all can enjoy having a pet and our pets get the care they need. Knowing people who are giving up their pets because of the high cost of vet care makes this a very touchy subject for me.

Posted by mistletoeandhitch | October 12, 2012, 10:32 AM
  17. I know Texas is finally taking neuter/spay issues seriously, just like with animal abuse. These shouldn’t be political matters.

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | October 12, 2012, 1:27 PM
  18. that is so ridiculous!

Posted by Megan | October 12, 2012, 9:05 PM
  19. Profit before ethics! 😦

Posted by Bassas Blog | October 13, 2012, 2:51 AM
  20. Thanks for alerting us to this issue. Until DeDe’s post, I really had no idea vets would ever take such a greedy view of low-cost spay/neuter clinics. In Kansas City, we have an extremely active animal rescue community. I am sure there would be organized protests in the event of spay/neuter backlash here. But you never know…

Posted by crystalwayward | October 13, 2012, 7:54 AM
  21. That makes me sad. 😦

Posted by Dianda | October 13, 2012, 8:10 AM
  22. Why does it always have to come down to greed? Maybe if vets charged more reasonable prices, people wouldn’t have to look for low costs spay/neuter clinics.

Posted by Russell Smith | October 13, 2012, 4:48 PM
  23. oh crap! ohhh…sorry…June B that gets me really riled up…Dad and Mom volunteer with a private animal rescue organization and low cost spay neuter is a really big deal to help families who are low income be able to spay neuter. And we provide free when we can. I will watch closely in CA to make sure this does not build any momentum here

Posted by Savannah's Paw Tracks | October 13, 2012, 5:55 PM
  24. Terribly sad… 😦

Posted by eof737 | October 14, 2012, 10:41 AM
  25. Good work, June Buggie!

Posted by The Hook | October 14, 2012, 10:42 AM
  26. ‘Unfair business advantage’? What kind of reason is that? Ah, JB, you have every reason yourself to rant.

Posted by tita buds | October 15, 2012, 12:54 PM
  27. Providing access to low-cost spay-neuter is so important — thanks for helping to spread the word. ~ Kat

Posted by travelgardeneat | October 15, 2012, 7:59 PM