June Buggie Says Save the Wolves!

MEOW! My name is June Buggie and I have something to say!

this is an OFFICIAL June Buggie Rant!

The Humane Society of the US and The Fund for Animals have served notice that they intend to file suit against the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to restore protections for Great Lakes Wolves under the Endangered Species Act.

It’s no secret to those of you who care about animals that wolves have it rough right now. Not that they ever really had it good.

When the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service de-listed wolves as an endangered species, they allowed states to manage their own wolf populations.

found at Worldwildlife.org

And what did the states do?

Minnesota is allowing up to 400 of the state’s 3000 wolves to be killed this year.

Wisconsin is allowing around one-quarter of their wolf population to be hunted and killed.

In one year Idaho has cut its wolf population by about 40 percent.

Since May, 260 wolves have been killed in Montana.

Kanalu68 posted at nowpublic.com

Let’s be clear: wolves are not hunted as a food source. They are hunted to be killed. Period. Farmers and ranchers want them gone, and killing the animals is easier than taking other measures to protect their livestock.

Wolves are carnivores and they do kill other animals. But in a healthy ecosystem, they serve a vital function. By killing these animals, we are effectively saying we do not want a healthy wildlife system anywhere in this country but in a few designated areas set aside for these animals to live.

This forcing of living creatures to reside in “designated areas” sounds familiar, doesn’t it?

If humans treat each other this way, how could us animals expect anything better?

MEOW!

20 thoughts on “June Buggie Says Save the Wolves!

1. It’s sad that hunting became a sport and for covering a small ego…

Posted by easyweimaraner | October 18, 2012, 2:30 AM
  2. It breaks my heart that so many wolves are being killed and in my opinion for nothing. I hope that something can be done to save them.

Posted by Emily @ Adventures of a Dog Mom | October 18, 2012, 7:40 AM
  3. Oh no….June Buggie, how sad to hear that wolves are killed….of course they might be dangerous to all humans and to the other animals but still they have their own lives. I think that humans have to come up with good ideas how we can coexist the other creatures. Killing those precious lives that threaten human’s life is not the answer…..

Posted by eripanwkevin | October 18, 2012, 9:14 AM
  4. The only reason they come after livestock is because humans have been constantly encroaching their territory and killing off the wild animals wolves would normally hunt. Unfortunately a lot of humans don’t have respect for whoever was on the land before them – whether they’re other men/women or animals. Ever since I was a little girl I have loved wolves, I remember doing many reports on them when I was in school and it saddens me how they’re targeted and misrepresented. I really hope they’re able to restore the protection act for wolves, because hunting them just for the sake of killing them is despicable. Thanks for writing this post and helping people know about their situation!

Posted by Dounia | October 18, 2012, 9:19 AM
  5. Very very sad! I love wolves. I’ve been reading this book on Wolves of the Southwest. Basically the book is about their demise because there are no more wolves in the southwest. :`(

Posted by ILoveDogs | October 18, 2012, 9:22 AM
  6. i sent You an email šŸ™‚ hope You Got it xoxoxoxoxoxo

Posted by Cat Forsley | October 18, 2012, 9:37 AM
  7. The killing of wolves makes me sick. It should never be called hunting. Hunting is something you do to put food on the table and clothing on the body. Wolves are killed, not hunted. In my part of Pennsylvania, every year our largest state park is turned in to a hunters paradise. Because the deer population is out of control, hunters are allowed to take over the park and reduce the deer population. Of course, there are no natural predators to control the deer, we’ve destroyed them all. Whatever you do, don’t suggest reintroducing the predators. For some reason it’s ok to have people tramping around our state parks with guns, but wolves are a danger.

Posted by mistletoeandhitch | October 18, 2012, 9:40 AM
  8. Awooooooooooooooooo!

Posted by Smaktakula | October 18, 2012, 12:40 PM
  9. Disturbing. Especially when you consider that conservationists had trouble with reintroducing wolves to Yellowstone because there are so many wolf hybrids it was hard to locate pure wolf stock/DNA.

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | October 18, 2012, 1:57 PM
  10. It’s so much harder to restore ecosystems and for people pare back on their consumption and development than it is to kill wolves. Unfortunately, humans don’t realize that what’s good for non-human animals is also good for us.

Another excellent rant, June Buggie. You are truly an ecumenical kitty.

Posted by Pamela Webster (@S_Wagging) | October 18, 2012, 3:35 PM
  11. I wish I didn’t feel like I had to cut & paste a comment I seem to use far too many times… “it’s all about money”… The authorities smooth it over by using the words “manage” and “cull” but mistletoeandhitch’s comment hits the nail – what they mean is “kill” but people wouldn’t think that’s nice so let’s pretend everyone is stupid or apathetic and try to trick them…. June Buggie you do good by raising these issues, because it may take some time but people aren’t stupid & do care and we will win, hopefully not too late for the wolves.

Posted by EllaDee | October 18, 2012, 3:42 PM
  12. Ugh Rumpy – the whole thing makes me so darn mad! I’ve even called the Rep in Idaho at one point and left a blistering message. It’s like they did the conservation so they could turn around and get profits from selling hunting licenses, boost their hotel and restuarant businesses etc. Why can’t these places explore eco-tourism and work to coexist with the wolves without making them extinct again?!!! GRRRRR!

Posted by saymber | October 18, 2012, 3:46 PM
  13. Me and my Mum and Dad detest the hunting of any animal for so-called “sport”.

Well said!!!

Solo

Posted by awordfromsolo | October 18, 2012, 4:08 PM
  14. Humans move in to uninhabited places. Wolves and the food source they used to hunt have to go elsewhere. Well … just where would that be?

I do wish that wolves were allowed to live in the wild without being hunted by “sportsmen” who are looking for a tropy or to rack up more kills. Heartbreaking.

Posted by earthriderjudyberman | October 18, 2012, 5:21 PM
  15. I live in Texas, and the douchebags here hunt the coyotes. using the same tired excuses. They are hurting livestock ect. The truth is? farmers who actually take care of their chickens by fencing them in. building appropriate chickens coups ect. do not have this issue. and Most of the time it’s not even the coyote but rather the skunks who are getting the chickens. Usually the coyotes take care of the “already dead”carcasses of cattle. But they get the blame anyway, It’s much the same for Wolves. They are not the Only predator in the wild. Just the main suspect when bad things happen. They are scapegoated

I know that the Mexican wolf is in extreme danger of becoming extinct in our neighboring state of New Mexico. The Lobo is in real trouble. The sad truth is there are ignorant evil people in this world that have no respect nor do they desire to understand anything. Every creature has a right to exist in this world. I mentioned the coyotes because anyone who has seen the way they are hunted, People it is brutal. When I was very young I was taken coyote hunting. After seeing that. I owe it to the coyote to let people know about the needless brutality. If we do not stand up for these animals, no one will. we owe it to the Wolves and Coyotes ect. to be their voice. Concerning The Lobo> http://www.wildearthguardians.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=7981&news_iv_ctrl=1194

Posted by Charles Raziel | October 18, 2012, 5:49 PM
  16. Mom and Dad have been politically, financially supporting wolf re-introduction for years and years. ANd they constantly send letters, emails, etc. to whomever is trying to kill more and more wolves.The state of WA recently slaughterd and entire wolf pack because they were considered too close to livestock. I think it was about 12 wolves. http://www.wolfhaven.org/ is a great information source for what is happening across the USA and Canada re: wolves and wolf reintroduction and getting them back on the endangered list in many places. In Alaska, they “hunt” them from helicopters

Posted by Savannah's Paw Tracks | October 18, 2012, 5:56 PM
  17. Well said!! Drawing a parallel between the wolves and their designated areas and the Indian Trail of Tears does sound familiar and it’s a darn shame, too. June Buggie, I hope your voice is heard.

Hugs to you and Rumpy,
    Tom

Posted by Father Tom | October 18, 2012, 6:51 PM
  18. I hate that wolves are being killed. Why are the states even allowing that? šŸ˜¦

~ Mousepaw

Posted by Mousepaw | October 19, 2012, 5:19 PM
  19. I love and admire wolves. More wolves, fewer people. Wolves are loyal, monogamous, and beautiful. Maybe we should run one for president.

Posted by Teepee12 | October 19, 2012, 11:34 PM

1. Pingback: June Buggie Says Save the Wolves! | Catgurl40's Blog - October 18, 2012

I'm hanging in the linen closet today. I'm feeling better! #gi#eldercat #caturday #cats #cat #catsofinstagram #cats_of_instagram #catstagram