There’s No Place Like Home

I don’t travel well.

At first, I’m excited. I remain focused on the preparation. I think of how nice it will be to not have to jump up in the morning and take the dogs outside. I won’t have June Buggie taking a flying leap onto me as he chases (or is chased by) Bubba Cat. I won’t have Graybie wanting to be held while I use the toilet.

I will learn much, laugh much, and have a good time.

But once I arrive and settle in, I find that I’m not content.

I get tired and cranky because I can’t sleep. My routine is off. The accommodation is comfortable, but the smell of bleach on the crisp, white hotel sheets doesn’t match the comforting smells of home.

Comfortable and clean, but there’s no place like home!

It’s times like these when I’m reminded of the joy that comes from sharing my life with animals.

I fear nothing when in my home. If the smell of smoke is in the air, Rumpy lets me know something is wrong. If someone comes to the door, DeDe will let out a fearsome warning bark. If a neighbor does something outside of the norm, Rumpy will warn him or her by barking.

I miss seeing DeDe with Bubba cat at her side.

I sleep warm and I sleep well in my own bed. I sleep on one side of the bed. Bubba sleeps on the pillow beside me. Little Girl and Graybie sleep on either side of my legs. Junior patrols at night, but does frequently snuggle at my neck. Rumpy is at my side on the floor, and DeDe is in the bedroom doorway. Malachi and Hissy keep watch from the climbing tower. How do I sleep like that? Quite well.

I put on no airs in my home, yet I know I am well-loved. The staff at the Courtyard and Westin hotels are polite and courteous. The Bark World staff are as well. My fellow conference attendees are excited and thrilled. But it’s not the same. Rumpy doesn’t care if I belch, fart, or talk with food in my mouth. He likes it when I am messy, especially while eating, because that means crumbs on the floor.

Seriously? Can’t I just eat in peace?

Soon I will be back in my own bed, snuggled with my family. I will complain when June Buggie jumps on my chest. I will complain when Graybie tries to help me eat. I will complain when I’m up early taking Rumpy and DeDe outside to pee.

And I will be quite content while doing so.

39 thoughts on “There’s No Place Like Home

1. Hey Jen, I hear ya about the complaining when you have to take the dogs out. I was doing just that this morning at 2:30am when I took Bella outside to pee in the pouring rain. That sucked. I was just glad that I did not step in any poop! LOL

Posted by Nikitaland | October 27, 2012, 8:19 AM
  2. When I was living down in South Carolina for three months, I know exactly what you mean. There was no one to greet me when I opened the door of the hotel room and no one to demand attention all hours of the day and night and boy did I miss that. I went so far as to bring down some pictures (in frames) to put in the room (I stayed at the Residence Inn and had a two room suite). I was so glad when that was over with and I could be home with the “kids”

Posted by Isaiah's Mom | October 27, 2012, 8:20 AM
  3. So nice Jen! We couldn’t agree more!

Posted by Angela | October 27, 2012, 8:30 AM
  4. SO true! hope you’re home with your family soon – I’m sure they miss you as much as you miss them!

Posted by Dianna | October 27, 2012, 8:32 AM
  5. That’s so true… at home is best. Thanks, for a very nice post ;o)

Posted by easyweimaraner | October 27, 2012, 8:34 AM
  6. I SOOOO understand this feeling. Even with one little Cupcake to care for, life without those routines and comforts and snuggles is unthinkable!! Hurry home safe and sound.

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | October 27, 2012, 8:35 AM
  7. Mom’s at BarkWorld so I’m chilling out at the Lounge, but there’s no place like home!

Posted by Prudence | October 27, 2012, 8:36 AM
  8. Hi Jen! Kevin’s mom is here. Today’s post makes me almost cry….because the story is so beautiful and touching. It easily makes me imagine how wonderful your life is with your lovely family.
    And it tells us the strong ties between you and your fur family.
    They are wainting for you coming back soon!!!
    Have a lovely Saturday, Jen! 🙂

Posted by eripanwkevin | October 27, 2012, 8:48 AM
  9. The Momster says – AMEN to all that you wrote!!! She agrees with everything you said, but we have to interject that WE don’t get to sleep in the bed with her:( We hope your time away flies by but that you can also find small ways to enjoy yourself. Just think of the huge welcoming home you will be getting.

Woos – Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Posted by Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning | October 27, 2012, 8:58 AM
  10. There is no place like home, fur sure. Mommy doesn’t know how to have a good time without cat hair. MOL!

Posted by prancer pie | October 27, 2012, 9:44 AM
  11. I love this. I understand completely. My house is a wreck, and I have so much to do to make it hospitable. Yet, my dogs don’t care. They are home, and they make it home for me.

Posted by Janice Holladay | October 27, 2012, 10:12 AM
  12. Dorothy had it right all those years ago…no place like home. Mom and Dad go away for a week and then try to change flights etc to come home a day early because they miss me! PeeEss…so sorry Jen had belongings stolen

Posted by Savannah's Paw Tracks | October 27, 2012, 10:23 AM
  13. Just makes you appreciate them all the more.

Posted by animalartist | October 27, 2012, 11:05 AM
  14. Oh I do know, one of the reasons i seldom leave here.. c

Posted by cecilia | October 27, 2012, 11:42 AM
  15. You said it all here about the trials and tribulations of pet ownership. I’m the same way. Half the time I’m away from my “kids” I wonder and worry if they are ok lol. The other day when I kicked my husband and Spot out of the house and had the cats shut in the cat room so I could clean I missed them! Every so often I would hear a noise and think it was Spot, look and it wasn’t her. I missed hearing my husbands laughter and chatter. Missed hearing Amber and Mays incessant inquiries to the “staff.” Yes, there is no place like home!

Posted by saymber | October 27, 2012, 11:57 AM
  16. Great post and I can definitely relate. It’s nice to go away but there is no comfort like that found by being with pets!

Oink oink,
    Katie and Coccolino the mini pig

Posted by Katie and Coccolino | October 27, 2012, 12:06 PM
  17. so true nothing better than sitting on my couch knitting with the boys at my feet or falling asleeep to the St. Bernard snoring.

Posted by henriettashippo | October 27, 2012, 12:15 PM
  18. Oh Jen there TRULY is “no place like home” !!!

Pam

Posted by onespoiledcat | October 27, 2012, 12:22 PM
  19. Home is where your heart is, I feel exactly the same when I leave the pets, it’s aways great coming home I miss them so much. Loved all your critter photo’s too.

Posted by Boomdeeadda | October 27, 2012, 1:02 PM
  20. Gretel hasn’t started traveling yet, but we plan to take her out soon. We’re starting with the cabin – about and hour and a half away – and if she handles that well, who knows?

Posted by writingfeemail | October 27, 2012, 1:07 PM
  21. There’s no pillow like your own, I love traveling but after awhile I need my bed, my pillow and recently what I miss the most is Doggy.

Posted by Doggy's Style | October 27, 2012, 2:56 PM
  22. I find it so hard to leave Brin the Boxer when we go on holiday. I miss him so much; love being away, but can’t wait to get home. Glad you’ve had a great time at Bark World x.

Posted by shacklefordlb | October 27, 2012, 3:20 PM
  23. I love traveling, but I hate staying away from home too long. 😦

Posted by Dianda | October 27, 2012, 3:24 PM
  24. Well said, I couldn’t agree more – there is definitely no place like home (especially when we have animals). They make it home for me.

Posted by barb19 | October 27, 2012, 3:46 PM
  25. Have to tell you. This was your ALL TIME BEST post! Perfection!

Posted by catchatcaren | October 27, 2012, 3:59 PM
  26. It doesn’t take long for me to get homesick too, especially if I have to leave the furry kids behind. Traveling is a great experience but there’s no place like home. I’m from Kansas so I should know. 😉

Posted by Dawn | October 27, 2012, 4:28 PM
  27. You know you love it but until you’re away from home and the fur-ones you don’t know how much you love it. All those little inconveniences are inconveniently missing 😉

Posted by EllaDee | October 27, 2012, 10:39 PM
  28. I hope The Producer takes this to heart and never, ever, ever leaves us again!!!

Posted by Zena | October 28, 2012, 1:04 AM
  29. I love experiencing new places, people and things. I hate being away from my family, both 2&4 legged, my room, my bathroom, all my other things. It’s difficult now that I share my life with cats. When I was a single w/ dog I took her where I went and she enjoyed the travel as much as I. But now I think I’ll stay home with my kitties. It’s true there is no place like home.

Posted by mistletoeandhitch | October 28, 2012, 1:51 AM
  30. wow! i never knew of all your friends, i only knew of rumpy and june buggie. glad you are back home with them. i get homesick and worried for my slinky to when i have to be in my classes.

Posted by Morrighan | October 28, 2012, 1:57 AM
  31. Lovely post, Jen. There is truly no place like home ’cause that’s where we are most loved. I’m sure the second Rumpy & the gang see you, they’ll go wild with joy. 🙂

Posted by tita buds | October 28, 2012, 5:43 AM
  32. I have to go north for a wedding this weekend and already I know i will not sleep well away from my snuggle buddies

Posted by Jo Bryant | October 29, 2012, 3:12 PM
  33. And of course they are a lot more comfortable when you are in your home too!

Posted by Anne Schilde | November 2, 2012, 5:08 PM