An Attitude of Gratitude

Meow! Malachi Kitty here to share with you my Gratitude Week post.

Loving people live in a loving world. Hostile people live in a hostile world. Same world.  ― Wayne W. Dyer

I have much to be grateful for. When I came to Rumpy begging for help, I was so thin that Jen thought I was a female kitten. Little did she know I was actually a neutered male that was 8 years old. Today I am fat and happy, and I never miss a meal! Jen laughs at the noises I make while I’m eating.

One thing that amazes me is that humans have so much, but they often don’t seem the least bit grateful. They’re worried about their rights, about their money, about their happiness, about their future. Me? I have learned that the secret to contentment is to be grateful for what I have Now.

I have lived through times when I had nothing. I might one day again find myself in that predicament. But in this moment I have enough food to eat. I have water to drink. I have a warm, safe spot to rest. I have love and companionship. For me, that is more than enough reason to be filled with joy.

If you got it today, you don’t want it tomorrow, man. -Janis Joplin

Dear human, what part of this week holds more sway with you? Is it a big meal? Or sharing time with family and friends? Is it Black Friday madness or in having everything you need?

It’s all in your perspective.

The optimist sees the donut, the pessimist sees the hole. ― Oscar Wilde

63 thoughts on “An Attitude of Gratitude

1. Yes indeed – wise cat!

Posted by jmgoyder | November 19, 2012, 1:17 AM
  2. I love your photo’s and Oscar Wilde rocks.

Posted by Boomdeeadda | November 19, 2012, 1:26 AM
  3. awww that little guy has a ‘old soul ‘ look in his eyes. he is lucky you guys found him. bless you for helping him.

Posted by Morrighan | November 19, 2012, 1:57 AM
  4. Malachi!!!! I’m so glad that you have a post today! It’s the first post you write on Rumpy’s blog, isn’t it? Yes, I remember when Jen rescued you, you were so skinny and looked very frightened….you had got abused by bad humans before…but look at you now! You are one of the happiest kitties in the world! With happy family!
    Whenever I see your pictures on Rumpy and DeDe’s blog posts, I feel so grateful to Jen that She rescued and adopted you. 🙂

Posted by eripanwkevin | November 19, 2012, 2:06 AM
  5. we so love happy stories..

Posted by starlight | November 19, 2012, 2:14 AM
  6. Lovely. I have much to learn from you Rumpy and Malachi 🙂

Posted by Sampurna | November 19, 2012, 3:11 AM
  7. We’re grateful for people like Jen who have expandable hearts and lots of love to give to the less fortunate. We remember the beginning of Malachi’s story and the pictures when he was so sickly. And we remember Sage, too. Jen has been doing wonderful things for humans and animals for a long time!

OurPeople are cooking a turkey and some pies to take to our local Loaves & Fishes this week. And there’s a bunch of yarn mousies being crocheted to take to the animal shelter. This is a good time of year to show love to everyone…well, anytime is a good time really!

Love & loud purring from RainbowCatsx8

Posted by Annabelle Essert (@RainbowCatsx8) | November 19, 2012, 3:28 AM
  8. Wise thinking, MK. Gratitude prayers start and end every one of our days. I’m pretty sure I’m an optimist. I see the donut. I love donuts.

Hugs and cuddles,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | November 19, 2012, 4:22 AM
  9. Pleased to meet you, Malachi. What a wise kitty you are. Humans could learn quite a bit from us kitties, couldn’t they? (Especially those of us who have been without and appreciate having food and a loving home!)
    Happy Thanksgiving, my friend.
    Love, Sundae

Posted by Dianna | November 19, 2012, 5:42 AM
  10. Nice to meet you Malachi….it sounds like you do have lots of be thankful for – as do I. We don’t focus on the food (although I do love turkey!!), we focus on our friends and family and how fortunate we are to all have each other. Happy Thanksgiving to your whole house full of animals and the human who takes care of you all…..Miss Jen !

Love and Hugs, Sammy

Posted by onespoiledcat | November 19, 2012, 6:18 AM
  11. Okay – I admit I am kind of emotional today, so I was not surprised that my eyes were a little misty when I read this. I am grateful for the shelter that helped me with Cleo and I am grateful for the wonderful person who gave her a new home. I am thankful for the wonderful job I have that allows me to help shelters that save kitties. Mostly I am grateful that I have my health, my family and my all friends all over the world. I am thankful for people like Jen who brings awareness through Rumpy’s blog of things that would otherwise be ignored. God Bless you Jen and family. Love, Joyce and Isaiah

Posted by Isaiah's Mom | November 19, 2012, 6:26 AM
    • I am grateful for Jen too. By all rights, I should have been euthanized. But she could not bring herself to do it. So she told me that she would do what she could, and if I lived, she’d see to it I was taken care of.

Posted by rumpydog | November 19, 2012, 3:51 PM
  12. We’re very glad that you’ve found a wonderful home Malachai! Very nice to meet you!

Posted by Prudence | November 19, 2012, 7:27 AM
  13. Agreed. It’s all about attitude. Sometimes when I find myself feeling a little down or sorry for myself, I just sit back and watch the dogs at play. By watching how easily my dogs are entertained with the little things, I begin to see my life in a different perspective. My Lab Maya is especially good at helping me understand that it is all a matter of perspective. She even gets excited about bath time and visits to the vet.

Posted by ILoveDogs | November 19, 2012, 8:28 AM
  14. Animals can teach us so many good things!

Posted by Dianda | November 19, 2012, 8:48 AM
  15. I don’t believe I have heard it put any better!

Posted by Brian | November 19, 2012, 10:42 AM
  16. Animals Teach us How to be REAL human beings xx I firmly believe this ….. So June Buggie and Rumpy and DeDe and Jen …………………… Gratitude Grateful ……and when You have time ……. so i can help with animal welfare – I wish i could adopt all the cats and dogs . but i can’t …..:(
    please let me help with what June Buggie has To say …..
    I think He has a really Important little voice ………..
    And it would be my Pleasure to help out as much as I Can …..:)
    I’m in the studio on wednesday – But i have committed my heart to doing one vid a week 🙂 If that is Ok with You xo 😉
    LOVE COOKIES GRATITUDE AND HUGS XO
    Cat xo

Posted by Cat Forsley | November 19, 2012, 10:55 AM
  17. Malachi the philosopher. Purring in respect

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | November 19, 2012, 11:41 AM
  18. Malachi Kitty you are not the only kitty who ‘talks’ whilst eating.. There is nothing more cute than to hear a kitty talking whilst enjoying a good meal; it makes ones little heart sing…! 🙂

Posted by carolynpageabc | November 19, 2012, 12:25 PM
  19. Awww! I’m so glad you are fat and happy now! 🙂

Posted by Bassetmomma | November 19, 2012, 12:58 PM
  20. I feel grateful and I’m volunteering this week.

Posted by midnitechef | November 19, 2012, 1:27 PM
  21. Oh, Malachi. I’m so pleased you found a safe and happy home.

We are trying to give a homeless Boxer a good home, but the re-homing agencies are so difficult to deal with. It’s as if they don’t want to re-home dogs at all x.

Posted by shacklefordlb | November 19, 2012, 1:32 PM
  22. Gizmo & I are both grateful that while we’re not particularly wealthy we both have all that we really need…a cool in summer, warm in winter home, plenty to eat and each other…Everything else is just extras

Posted by Gizmo | November 19, 2012, 2:21 PM
  23. Hi there Malachi. Your name means “my messenger” and that is a great message for the week. xox

Posted by CATachresis | November 19, 2012, 3:12 PM
  24. He knew that Rumpy would help him. Animals can tell. And, Rumpy did just that. He now has a friend and you have another furry bring to cuddle with. Food, a home, and love.

Posted by Lynda | November 19, 2012, 3:13 PM
  25. HooOOOoWWWwwwLLLLLooooo Malachi 🙂 You are very beautiful and wise! I think your thoughts are very true…having lost my home to a repossession order when my landlord failed to pay his mortgage, I found myself homeless and on the street and lost 3/4 my possessions. Like you I now am grateful just to have a warm roof over my head, food on the table and somewhere good to sleep. Anything else is a bonus, and I try to ensure I never forget this now and also that I give thanks each and every day for that which I have been provided with. And in the end it’s experiences not possessions that make us what we are 🙂 Furry wolfie hugs for you!

Posted by europasicewolf | November 19, 2012, 4:09 PM
  26. Cool cat! This was beautiful. Thank you.

Posted by The Hook | November 19, 2012, 4:29 PM
  27. DeDe … I’m so glad that you all found Jen. It sounds like you’re in a very loving home. Our cats, Jean-Louis and Reggie, say “hi.” We’ll be celebrating Thanksgiving with our family and I aim to avoid the stores on Black Friday. Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Posted by earthriderjudyberman | November 19, 2012, 8:32 PM
  28. I’m right there with you Malachi! How wonderful that you now have a good home and my felines Hemingway and Kipling would also agree…be thankful for what you have.

Posted by Renee Espriu | November 19, 2012, 8:57 PM
  29. Great post Malachi! Yous and mes has wonderful homes that at one time we never believed possible! Live life with a attitude of gratitude!
    Kisses
    Nellie

Posted by catfromhell | November 19, 2012, 10:31 PM
  30. Reblogged this on delia1979.

Posted by delia1979 | November 20, 2012, 6:56 AM
  31. What I have is all inside of me. I only have to let it out.

Posted by animalartist | November 20, 2012, 12:42 PM
  32. Had to reach for the kleenex after reading this – reminded me of all the homeless street animals like the ones in Turkey that aren’t as fortunate to have loving homes

Posted by crazytraintotinkytown | November 20, 2012, 1:56 PM
  33. That is a very good way to look at things Malachi. Recently I have been pretty excited about a new coat that mom ordered for me. It is taking forever to get here and I have been kind of bugged about it. But at this very moment I am cuddled on the couch under a nice warm blanket with my mom, which is so much nicer than a silly coat anyway…

Posted by onebluedog | November 20, 2012, 4:08 PM
  34. Hey Malachi, Jet here. Hi Miss Jen.

Oh, your perspective couldn’t be better timed. Mom’s been saying that every day for about 2 months now. So glad your situation has improved so much.

Mom asked me to share that she taught a class in the inner city yesterday. When one of the nurses left crying(it was a diabetic support group meeting… she made 3 yummy dishes) , Mom thought maybe she did or said something wrong. She didn’t think so, but…

After class she asked another employee what happened. Turns out that the nurse was so moved that Mom’s boss quietly filled one of mom’s plastic containers with vegan red lentil soup and subtly gave it to one of the patients. Turned out… that patient lives in his car and barely has enough to eat.

Mom always gives her extra groceries away to the class… she leaves the facility feeling so humble and fortunate.

Posted by heyitsjethere | November 21, 2012, 10:34 AM

1. Pingback: An Attitude of Gratitude | Catgurl40's Blog - November 19, 2012

‪I'm lying on top of my Jen- that always makes me feel better. ‬#eldercat #gingercat #catstagram #cats_of_instagram #cat #cats #catsofinstagram