Happy Thanksgiving US Friends!

Oh Dog! Today is a super-special holiday here in the US. It’s Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Puritans were not big on holidays; they didn’t even celebrate Christmas or Easter. But they did celebrate days of thanksgiving when things were going well, such as after a bountiful harvest. So really the first celebration didn’t happen in Plymouth in 1621, though it makes a nice starting point.

The holiday was set aside by Lincoln as an official day of Thanksgiving in 1863. It was to be held the last Thursday of the month. In 1939, FDR moved the holiday to the next-to-last Thursday of the month to lengthen the Christmas holiday shopping season.

And now ya know how Thanksgiving went from a day of  giving thanks to the official start of the holiday shopping season.

They don’t have alot to be thankful for today.

Today many people will over-indulge on turkey without thinking of the millions of animals that were raised and killed just so we could celebrate this one day. They will make plans to spend money on themselves this weekend (yep, 66% of Black Friday shopping is NOT for others) while many people have no money.  They will watch football and lounge in comfort while many are homeless.

Is this what you’re thankful for?

I’m not asking you to feel guilty about that. But I would ask you to take a moment and appreciate all that you do have. There is much to be grateful for.

47 thoughts on “Happy Thanksgiving US Friends!

1. Have a fantastic Thanksgiving, wez gotta wait till Chriztmaz, to get our chops round one of those guy’z..BOL xx00xx

Mollie and Alfie

Posted by mollieandalfie | November 22, 2012, 6:23 AM
  2. Dear Rumpy – June Buggie – DeDe and a llllllllllllllllll
    Thanksgiving should be everyday xx
    Being Grateful for Life – Family – Animals – FRIENDS –
    It’s pretty simple – xo
    Wake Up = Gratitude for another Day ……….
    It’s a lot more simple that we think sometimes …….:)

I am Gratefulllllllllllll for all THE good You do for Animals 🙂
    and I am Grateful we are friends –
    Love to the sweeties xo
    Cat 🙂

Posted by Cat Forsley | November 22, 2012, 6:27 AM
  3. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    🙂 🙂 🙂

Posted by marina kanavaki | November 22, 2012, 6:29 AM
  4. You have said a muzzle-full there Rumpy…Seems like hoomins do forget how much they haf and only thing about what they think they “need” Not like us dogs dat are happy wif food, a warm bed & a kind hoomin to snoogle wif…Hoomins need to be more like us Happy Thanksgiving to you & yur whole pack!

Posted by Gizmo | November 22, 2012, 6:43 AM
  5. Happy Thanksgiving Rumpy! 🙂

Posted by Dianda | November 22, 2012, 6:47 AM
  6. Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted by catchatcaren | November 22, 2012, 6:51 AM
  7. One of the Berner girls has been on medication, and we’re thankful that today she seems to be feeling really well. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Rumpy! xo

Posted by Moxie Reviews™ (@MoxieReviews) | November 22, 2012, 6:57 AM
  8. Rumpy you are SO right – we have a lot to be thankful for here and we hope you and your family have a really lovely Thanksgiving!!

Hugs, Sammy and Pam

Posted by onespoiledcat | November 22, 2012, 6:58 AM
  9. Happy Thanksgiving to my USA furiends … I thank all my anipal furiends every day that you are in my life. We share good news, provide comfort when things are not so good. We try our hardest to help those in need but also celebrate our fortune in finding wonderful forever homes and the staff who love and spoil us. We mourn the loss of and eulogise our furiends when the pass OTRB and rejoice in the knowledge that they are now without pain and running free. So much to be thankful in each an every day of the year … but this one is special for you … we wish you much happiness.

Posted by Jessie & Jane | November 22, 2012, 7:05 AM
  10. Happy Thanksgiving Hugs GJ xx xx

Posted by Ginger Jasper | November 22, 2012, 7:16 AM
  11. MOM and I are very appreciative. Happy Thanksgiving to you.
    Blessings,
    Goose

Posted by Goose | November 22, 2012, 7:37 AM
  12. Thank you, Happy Thanksgiving! 🙂

Posted by Deb | November 22, 2012, 7:45 AM
  13. Happy Thanksgiving! Thank you for all you share and may your day be filled with great joy and love.

Posted by iamforchange | November 22, 2012, 7:50 AM
  14. Hi I hope you don’t mind – but I have nominated you for ‘The Blog of the Year Award 2012’. The details are on my page at http://worldlywinds.com/2012/11/22/blog-of-the-year-2012/
    If you do not participate in the awards system then I apologise for inconveniencing you – and please feel free to accept or decline as you wish. I just wanted to say thank you for following my ramblings and thank you for inspiring me with your work! Alex 🙂

Posted by Worldly Winds | November 22, 2012, 8:16 AM
  15. Happy Thanksgiving from all of us!

Posted by Brian | November 22, 2012, 8:30 AM
  16. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

Posted by Clowie | November 22, 2012, 8:39 AM
  17. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Rumpy! You’re very thoughtful and yes I’m also grateful for what I have now! 🙂

Posted by eripanwkevin | November 22, 2012, 8:45 AM
  18. have a happy day guys!

Posted by jimmie chew | November 22, 2012, 10:20 AM
  19. Rumpy, FDR would be rolling over in his grave if he knew we were starting the shopping season even earlier!!

Have a happy Thanksgiving, dear woofie furriend. We love your posts, your comments and seeing your smiling (and sometimes very funny) face!

Tom, Mom Julie, Tinker, Mitty & Anastasia

Posted by Father Tom | November 22, 2012, 10:39 AM
  20. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family sweet Rumpy. Thank you for being our blogging friends.We love you and your blog. Hugs and nose kisses

Posted by Mag (Chancy's Mumsy) | November 22, 2012, 11:13 AM
  21. Happy Thanksgiving Rumpy & Family!

Posted by The Lonely Dogs | November 22, 2012, 11:34 AM
  22. Happy Thanksgivine to everyone, no matter how much fur, two and four legged alike.

Posted by Teepee12 | November 22, 2012, 11:35 AM
  23. Happy Thanksgiving! Hope it’s a wonderful day.

Oink oink,
    Katie and Coccolino the mini pig

Posted by katiebblogs | November 22, 2012, 12:15 PM
  24. Happy Thanksgiving 🙂

Posted by CATachresis | November 22, 2012, 1:21 PM
  25. Happy Thanksgiving

Stop on by for a visit
    Kari

Posted by Kari | November 22, 2012, 1:32 PM
  26. Beautyfull barked Rumpy,it has always bothered me.That we are force feed,what to do.THAT YOU MUST SHOP ON BLACK FRI.WELL NO I DONT,THERE ARE SALES AFTER SALES,FOR A MONTH.AND YES IT HELPS THE ECONAMY.BUT …….IM I MADE TO,FEEL WORSE.BECAUSE I HAVE NO SPARE MONEY{I JUST LOST MY JOB LAST SAT.IT TO ME,CHEAPINS THE HOILIDAYS.IT MAKES IT,ALL ABOUT WHAT YOU BUY,FOR SOMEONE.AND HOW MUCH WE,CAN PUT OURSELFS IN CREDIT CARD HELL,IN TRYING TO PAY IT BACK.AND ABOUT TURKEYS,IM HAVE TOFURKY,AS I HAVE SINCE,I WAS A KID.I DONT FAULT PEOPLE FOR EATING TURKEY TODAY.BUT PEOPLE SHOULD,THINK ABOUT WHAT IT IS{AS THEY SHOULD,ALL THE TIME FOR ME}IM NOT YELLING RUMPS.IT JUST BOTHERS ME EVERY YEAR.LOVE YA.WOOOOFFFFFS XX

Posted by melanie | November 22, 2012, 2:27 PM
  27. Happy Thanksgiving to you all 🙂

Posted by angelswhisper2011 | November 22, 2012, 2:31 PM
  28. I hope you have a nice Thanksgiving.

Posted by wantmorepuppies | November 22, 2012, 3:14 PM
  29. We are grateful for so, so much! Thank you for all you do to help the animals and have a blessed day!

Posted by Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey | November 22, 2012, 3:34 PM
  30. HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO RUMPY AND FRIENDS.

Eat; drink; and be merry; or be Suzie for all I care; have a great holiday.

Posted by angrymanspeaks | November 22, 2012, 4:05 PM
  31. I hope you’re having a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Posted by Bassetmomma | November 22, 2012, 5:07 PM
  32. Wishing all our friends all over the world a very Happy Day of Thanksgiving.

Woos – Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Posted by Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning | November 22, 2012, 7:00 PM
  33. Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted by Misty Shores Chesapeakes | November 22, 2012, 8:11 PM
  34. We were thankful to be together as a family. Mica and Lexie, who we are very thankful for, we happy to have turkey mixed with their dinner. We are thankful for all our friends on blogs and Twitter. No shopping this weekend we just don’t like to. Happy Thanksgiving:)

Posted by tylersat99 | November 22, 2012, 9:10 PM
  35. Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted by fivesibesmom | November 22, 2012, 9:37 PM
  36. Happy Thanksgiving and I am grateful for all that I have.

Posted by Lynda | November 22, 2012, 10:42 PM
  37. happy thanksgiving!! (although this is tech. not still thanksgiving day) i had just been thinking about all the people that get to go do the ‘black friday’ thing ,and feeling left out and bummed out cause i LOVE shopping. but,i have to wait till way later though 😦 then i read your post and realized that i’d much rather be here on my couch with my little slinky stretched out next to me listening o him purr happily than be in the overzealous ‘killer’ throngs of people in stores. 🙂

Posted by Morrighan | November 22, 2012, 11:08 PM
  38. I am home making art today, and very thankful I can do that!

Posted by animalartist | November 23, 2012, 8:42 AM
  39. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!
    Purrs

Posted by Texas, a cat in New York | November 23, 2012, 9:20 AM
  40. Hi Rumpy! Hope you had a happy day. We are thankful for all the kind people who take care of animals and try to console them while they owners are traveling. The best is when neighbors can switch off – the fur creatures love to see a friendly face while waiting in their own homes.
    We are also Thankful for the firemen, policemen, doctors,and nurses to stay on duty just in case.
    We are also thankful for all those who stay home and out of the stores….and wish everyone could stay home with their families a little while longer. Unfair and unnecessary to shop all the time!

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | November 24, 2012, 4:20 PM
  41. I live from hand to mouth, but I am grateful to have that hand and I am grateful for a loving family and a roof over my head. I live in Hollywood, and it is crawling with homeless people, many who are obviously in need of psychiatric support. It’s hard to harden your heart to such suffering. I spent my Thanksgiving with some new friends and we had a grand time. Now to get to work with those Christmas cards!

Posted by Russell Smith | November 29, 2012, 7:01 PM