Help is a Four-Legged Word!

While I was watching the Inauguration yesterday, I heard a commentator state there would be 200 animals in the Inaugural Parade. I was intrigued.

Animals in the parade?

Animals in the parade?

Granted, animals in parades is nothing new. Horses have been in parades for many years. But could it be possible that there would be some other animals in the parade as well?

I had to watch!

And I was thrilled to find that, halfway through the parade, there were…. dogs!

This is one of the dogs that marched in the parade (from the CCI Facebook page)

This is one of the dogs that marched in the parade (from the CCI Facebook page)

And not just any dogs, but dogs who help people with special needs!

Meet Canine Companions for Independence!

cci_registered

This amazing organization trains companion animals for children and adults, including vets, with special needs. Their motto? Help is a four-legged word!

And they do it free of charge! Canine Companions for Independence operates solely on donations.

If you’d like to learn more about CCI, check out their website and see how many are enjoying a better quality of life because of this fantastic organization.

Thanks Canine Companions for Independence for helping so many people! And thanks Inaugural Committee for including them in the parade!

Rumpy has gone on from this plane. We, his kitty siblings,continue to blog about animal welfare and responsible care of companion animals at rumpydog.com in his stead. You can follow us on Twitter - @RumpyDog. And don't forget to LIKE our Facebook page! Thanks!

31 thoughts on “Help is a Four-Legged Word!

1. beautifulllllll xo

Posted by Cat Forsley | January 22, 2013, 3:05 AM
  2. Great! now I have something for reading – thanks Rumpy ;o)

Posted by easyweimaraner | January 22, 2013, 3:17 AM
  3. I know we exercise two beautiful guide dogs! and we love them dearly!!

Posted by willowdot21 | January 22, 2013, 3:33 AM
  4. A super organisation.

Posted by Animalcouriers | January 22, 2013, 4:11 AM
  5. Pawsome! We watched much of the inauguration but didn’t see that bit about the dogs and that fine organization. How wonderful…….and we too are glad they were included in the celebration.

Kitty Hugs, Sammy

Posted by onespoiledcat | January 22, 2013, 5:05 AM
  6. Wow! I love CCI. Help IS a 4-letter word, on every level! Good job, guys.

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | January 22, 2013, 5:36 AM
  7. very cool!! I watched the inauguration too but missed that. Must have been out on a smoke break

Posted by catchatcaren | January 22, 2013, 5:40 AM
  8. Cool to have the canine companions in the parade! Gets them good publicity for the organisation!

Posted by CATachresis | January 22, 2013, 5:56 AM
  9. It is wonderful that their help is being acknowledged 🙂

Posted by Colline | January 22, 2013, 6:09 AM
  10. How wonderful Rumpy! Thanks for mentioning this.
    Bella and DiDi

Posted by Paws To Talk | January 22, 2013, 6:55 AM
  11. This is great! I watched the Inauguration, too, but didn’t see that. Thank you for the post!! xo

Posted by Moxie Reviews™ | January 22, 2013, 7:51 AM
  12. I love it!

Posted by saymber | January 22, 2013, 8:14 AM
  13. Wow! That’s fantastic! =^.^=

Posted by baileyboatcat | January 22, 2013, 8:47 AM
  14. Very cool.
    Blessings,
    Goose

Posted by Goose | January 22, 2013, 9:28 AM
  15. I’m a huge fan of CCI. A friend of mine is a puppy raiser for the organization. She fosters one puppy at a time and teaches each one the basic skills required for service dogs. After the puppies grow up, they go to intensive training and testing before being placed as companions. The volunteers and dogs are amazing!

Posted by Shary Hover | January 22, 2013, 10:55 AM
  16. Dogs, horses…but you notice: no cats!
    (CCI foster moms are so cool! One close by – so kind to raise a pup and work so hard and then giving it up to be a lifelong friend and companion. Such strong brave doggy moms!)

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | January 22, 2013, 1:10 PM
  17. Wow!!!! CCI is a great organization to help people with no charge! I know that it might be sometimes hard to run it with only donation, but which means they don’t run their business, they do it for helping humans who need certain help! Wonderful! 🙂

Posted by eripanwkevin | January 22, 2013, 1:48 PM
  18. Whoa, this is awesome on so many levels! I didn’t know about the organization, I’ll have to go check them out. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by Will and Eko | January 22, 2013, 1:54 PM
  19. Great Post – service animals are hard workers and so important! Have a Great One:)

Posted by cravesadventure | January 22, 2013, 2:00 PM
  20. kaiser permanente is my doctor / hospital facility, whatever you want to call it… while i was waiting around for my asthma meds this kaiser worker comes in with a service dog and goes, “would anyone like a feel good – happiness pet with the service dog?” i was like what in the feck? within 2 mins, everyone on line wanted to pet the dog – me included – and some very sick ppl looked very happy, at least for a moment. i thought that was sooooo cool. just thought i’d share it with you. great post, as always. xo, sm

Posted by sweetmother | January 22, 2013, 4:51 PM
  21. That’s pretty awesome… dogs in a parade! And very helpful dogs at that.

Posted by Ann Paws | January 22, 2013, 10:18 PM
  22. I didn’t get to see the parade. Now that you told me there are dogs I’m going to find the video. Thanks.

Posted by CuriositytotheMax | January 22, 2013, 10:22 PM
  23. These dogs are truly amazing. We watched a programme based on a similar organisation in the UK – wonderful x.

Posted by shacklefordlb | January 23, 2013, 4:08 AM
  24. Reblogged this on My Blog and commented:
    That sounds like it was a highlight of the entire Inauguration that this particular organization was recognized on National television for their efforts…a thumbs up to that network for recognizing this and not some violence that happened during the Inauguration. Great Organization btw if you are looking to send donations to an organization to support.

Posted by TammyeHoney | January 23, 2013, 9:14 AM
  25. That made the parade for me!

Posted by crazytraintotinkytown | January 23, 2013, 11:14 AM
  26. So awesome that CCI was included!

Posted by wantmorepuppies | January 25, 2013, 8:19 AM
  27. Pawsome organization, thanks for catching them in the Inauguration parade, missed them myself

Posted by Savannah's Paw Tracks | January 25, 2013, 9:31 AM
  28. Interesting, thanks for flagging Canine Companions-I hadn’t heard of them before but sounds like an incredible organization from your post!

Posted by Adrian Meli | February 2, 2013, 2:49 PM

1. Pingback: Help is a Four-Legged Word! | Catgurl40's Blog - January 22, 2013

Hissy Fit Jones takes a nap #formerferal #gingercat #cat #cats #catstagram #catsofinstagram