Stop the Exploitation of Tigers!

After reading about the plight of tiger cubs and adult tigers in captivity, you may be asking what you can do to help these magnificent creatures enjoy a better quality of life.

I’m glad you asked!

Used with permission of Big Cat Rescue

Used with permission of Big Cat Rescue

The single most important thing folks in the US and other parts of the world can do is DON’T PAY TO PET TIGER CUBS!

This isn’t as easy as it sounds!

The exploiters will tell you the cubs are well cared for, that they are conservationists, that these tigers will eventually be released into the wild.

It’s all lies.

You’ll see how cute those babies are, and you’ll tell yourself that it’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and you’re just one person petting one cub one time.

Don’t do it.

The best way to stop the endless breeding of captive tigers is to dry up the demand to pet cubs. So don’t pay to play! And tell your friends not to either.

In fact, paying for any animal to entertain you is not cool. Those animals are being trained to do things that are not natural for them. Don’t support it.

Used with permission of Big Cat Rescue

It’s also important to let your elected officials know that you support laws that protect animals from exploitation. If you live in the US, Born Free USA has a summary of what the laws are in your state regarding the ownership of exotic animals. Born Free UK  has a Save the Wild Tigers Campaign that discusses further things we can all do to help.

You can also find out about federal and state bills that impact large animals. At Big Cat Laws you can learn about a federal bill that would ban the ownership of big cats. Period. And for those of you in Texas, there’s a bill that would ban big cat ownership in the state. Please write your elected officials and ask them to support these laws!

Remember, it’s only when we each do our part that these animals will be protected, so PLEASE! Do your part!

25 thoughts on “Stop the Exploitation of Tigers!

1. Sound advice, rhank you.

Christine

Posted by journeyintopoetry | March 16, 2013, 8:35 AM
  2. Wow… very important information. I would love to pet an animal like that, but when you put it like that, I realize how important it is to NOT pay to play or pet…

Posted by Zee and Zoey - Deb Barnes | March 16, 2013, 10:03 AM
  3. In our country, these Big Ctas who owned by humans haven’t become a terrible problem yet but we’re sure we would end up being in the same situation in US soon unless we seriously consider it in advance. We need to find how we could help these poor Bing Cats before being in stuck .

Posted by eripanwkevin | March 16, 2013, 10:28 AM
  4. THIS is a wonderful Post…. BUTT it makes us SAD and MAD that there is a NEED for saying these impawtant thingys.

Posted by Frankie Furter and Ernie | March 16, 2013, 11:30 AM
  5. YES! If you want to be entertained by wild animals, watch a beautiful documentary of them in their natural homes.

Posted by somethingwagging | March 16, 2013, 12:40 PM
  6. Good advice.

Posted by dogdaz | March 16, 2013, 12:56 PM
  7. I had never even heard of paying to pet tiger cubs before your posts. Thanks again for sharing Rumpy!

Posted by Ann "Paws" Staub | March 16, 2013, 1:39 PM
  8. I am sure folk are ignorant of what goes on. Excellent post!

Posted by CATachresis | March 16, 2013, 3:40 PM
  9. Hi Y’all!

Great advice! Thanks.

Thanks for stoppin’ by! No snow in the low country. The azaleas are blooming…we had to go to the high country (mountains) to find snow.

Y’all come back now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

Posted by Hawk aka BrownDog | March 16, 2013, 6:23 PM
  10. I paid to get my photo taken with a Cheetah once when I was a teenager, but I didn’t know any better then. I know better now and will never ever do it again!!! Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention.

Posted by ILoveDogs | March 16, 2013, 6:55 PM
  11. My peeps wont go to the circus or zoos or any of these places. They did go to the Popcorn Park Zoo cos they rescue abused animals from zoos and Christmas pageants and stuff. Very important post you wrote.

Posted by Cathy Keisha (@CathyKeisha) | March 16, 2013, 7:35 PM
  12. Absolutely! I was at a cat show today…the most gorgeous, exotic and beautiful breeds were on show and if anyone wants to pet an exotic wild looking animal the perfectly safe, well bred Bengal Cats are close enough in looks and behaviour at time anyway to satisfy most people! Leave the wild animals alone people!

Posted by europasicewolf | March 16, 2013, 8:08 PM
  13. Great post, Rumpy! Thanks for looking out for our distant relatives.

Posted by theislandcats | March 16, 2013, 9:35 PM
  14. I saw a documentary on this, sooo sad. Tiger’s are not pets people!

Posted by kirbysdawgblog | March 17, 2013, 12:22 AM
  15. Absolutely. These are wild animals and not pets…and frankly, one would only torture them by keeping them in captivity!

Posted by panoramaofthoughts | March 17, 2013, 2:23 AM
  16. Thanks for visiting us at Fuzzy Tales. 🙂

Excellent information here. I think the nearest zoo is the Toronto Zoo, but there ARE other wildlife centres, etc. Not sure what their policies are. Probably no better than anywhere else.

I also have a problem with non-domestic animals performing in circuses…but that’s an entirely different post.

Happy St. Pat’s Day to you all.

Posted by Fuzzy Tales | March 17, 2013, 3:58 AM
  17. Great suggestions and clearly building up awareness is a way forward. What else could you do to strengthen this initiative?

Shakti

Posted by Shakti Ghosal | March 17, 2013, 5:21 AM
  18. Rumpy you are not just the cutest woof i have seen,you are a golden heart too 🙂
    love ya for this post. We are facing a battle royal between poachers and forest rangers. these forest mafia are trying to kill everything green and its creatures.
    loved this write up and hey Congrats you deserve all the votes and next time you will win for sure
    love and hugs your way 🙂

Posted by Soma Mukherjee | March 17, 2013, 12:31 PM
  19. Thank you for this information. Unfortunately in Texas so many of our legislators are idiots who won’t do anything. I have however, written to mine.

Posted by Valentine Logar | March 17, 2013, 2:36 PM

1. Pingback: Stop the Exploitation of Tigers! | Catgurl40's Blog - March 16, 2013

‪I'm eatin so good! Jen says she is as happy as a pig in slop!!! Now maybe I can gain some weight. ‬#eldercat #gingercat #cat #cats #catsofinstagram #cats_of_instagram #catstagram