It’s Humane Lobby Day in Florida!

Jen is headed to Tallahassee today for Humane Lobby Day in Florida. How fitting that they’re going on the birthday of the American Society of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals! Happy birthday ASPCA!

april prevention

What issues are they addressing?

House Bill 851 would make it possible for a person accused of multiple animal cruelty acts to be charged with a separate offense for each act. It would also make animal fighting punishable under Florida’s anti-racketeering (RICO) law.

HB 1257 would require that puppy sellers, both in stores and on the internet, post the location of origin for that puppy. It also would ban the roadside sale of dogs and cats.

Cuz you should know that pup came from a puppy mill in Missouri

Cuz you should know that pup came from a puppy mill in Missouri

HB 1121, “The Community Cat Act,” protects caregivers of feral cat colonies as well as veterinarians who participate in TNR programs. This is of particular importance because of who opposes this law: The Florida Veterinary Medical Association, The Audubon Society, and PETA.

Another topic of interest that is not yet a bill is Greyhound Decoupling. In a nutshell, current laws require racetracks with card rooms to hold a certain number of dog races to retain the gambling privilege. A bill was allowed to die last year, but there is hope the issue will be taken up again this year. Greyhound racing is a financial loser, and this would certainly be a win-win for animal welfare advocates as well as the gambling industry.

I wonder why I can't go lobby too?

It’s time to put an end to greyhound racing!

Some people think that it’s only important to support animal rescues and shelters, but I believe that it’s also important to support legislation that impacts animals.

Do you know what legislation affecting animals is being discussed in your state legislature this year?

23 thoughts on “It’s Humane Lobby Day in Florida!

1. Wishing you all the best for Humane Lobby Day. Sounds like some really good bills on the cards there. Here’s hoping they get passed and the lives of these animals can be improved substantially.

Posted by Long Life Cats and Dogs | April 10, 2013, 4:21 AM
  2. Yay for Jen! Rumpy you look so concerned in that second photo. x

Posted by bumpyroadtobubba | April 10, 2013, 4:48 AM
  3. Jen I so wish I could have joined you in Tally today…I wish you the best and thank you for speaking up for me

Posted by Gizmo | April 10, 2013, 4:54 AM
  4. Good luck!

Posted by YellowCable | April 10, 2013, 5:48 AM
  5. I agree with you – it’s important to try to improve things! Wishing you all the best today.

Posted by Clowie | April 10, 2013, 5:59 AM
  6. There is so much at stake for animals all over the country and IT’S ALL JUST COMMON SENSE AND HUMANITY!!!! When will people come to their senses! Thanks for advocating!

Posted by Bernadette | April 10, 2013, 7:34 AM
  7. I am tired of all the anti animal legislations, this is a sad world we are living in. I am glad you and your human are on top of things. I always love reading up on your world. btw thanks for the fun Easter comment on my bloggy.

Posted by crazykittykat1 | April 10, 2013, 9:16 AM
  8. Have a great day! Thanks for what you do!

Posted by Sand Spring Chesapeakes | April 10, 2013, 9:32 AM
  9. Good luck Jen! We all hate puppy mills because it is one of the main reason why poor animals are born….I agree with you to support legislation as it is the closest way to stop puppy mills.
    Oh! By the way, Happy Birthday ASPCA!

Posted by eripanwkevin | April 10, 2013, 9:42 AM
  10. I agree with you. If I can go to NY’s rally, I will.

Posted by BJ Pup | April 10, 2013, 9:57 AM
  11. Go Rumpy! Huge dog fighting bust yesterday. Rescued dogs. Men from all over charged. If it’s not one thing, it’s another.
    Thanks for taking action and encouraging others to do the same – it does make a difference

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | April 10, 2013, 11:34 AM
  12. You are so right Rumpy! Good luck to mom!
    My neighbor rescued a racing greyhound. It should be outlawed, they do such awful things to these dogs!

Posted by gracie2801 | April 10, 2013, 12:09 PM
  13. Good Bills. I sure hope they go through.

Posted by Linda Arthur Tejera | April 10, 2013, 9:40 PM
  14. Good work and safe travels!

Posted by Boomdeeadda | April 11, 2013, 3:51 PM
  15. Me too – I think it is important to lobby for legislation. I just don’t have your energy but thank god for people like you!

Posted by butimbeautiful | April 12, 2013, 8:27 PM