Hairball- It’s Not Just a Term of Endearment!

You still here? Get outta here and have a great weekend already!

Today is National Hairball Awareness Day, so hock up a hairball on someone you love.

Actually, it’s a day to raise awareness of what causes hairballs (ingesting hair while grooming) the problems hairballs can cause (blockages in the esophagus or intestines), and what can be done to prevent them (brushing your cat, giving hairball remedy or food formulated to reduce hairballs).

If your cat gags more than a day or suffers from diarrhea or constipation, please contact your vet.

For more information, check out this ASPCA Fact Sheet on Hairballs.

Happy Hairball Day!

Uh, somehow that doesn’t sound too good, does it?

26 thoughts on “Hairball- It’s Not Just a Term of Endearment!

1. Very important message pal.

Posted by mariodacat | April 26, 2013, 6:08 AM
  2. I can’t imagine how annoying it must be to get hairballs!

Posted by LifeOfBun | April 26, 2013, 6:11 AM
  3. Great to promote this. Our Ginger Ninja suffered an almost fatal hairball problem when he took himself off to die. I spent a day trying to find him and in the end had to climb down the well and bring him up. The vet put him on a drip and he eventually vommed what the vet says was the biggest hairball she’s ever seen. He gets brushed more often now and has special hairball food.

Posted by Animalcouriers | April 26, 2013, 6:34 AM
  4. Hehe – I guess it doesn’t sound too good. Very good for people to know though!

Posted by Ann "Paws" Staub | April 26, 2013, 6:52 AM
  5. Happy Hairball Day! We’re each going to try to hork up a nice one today!!

The Florida Furkids

Posted by The Florida Furkids | April 26, 2013, 7:02 AM
  6. Mom brushes my cats really well once a week and so far they rarely have hairballs. Past cats have had more hairball issues and have had to eat some paste stuff to loosen things up. Funny thing is that my cousin Lena the Lab likes to lick my gramma’s cat and Lena actually got a hairball from doing that! I don’t like my cats…don’t need hairballs 😉

Posted by Emmadog | April 26, 2013, 7:05 AM
  7. We used the hairball remedy once as I hat ad lot of stuffing from a plush-guy inside me… fortunately it was working..

Posted by easyweimaraner | April 26, 2013, 7:10 AM
  8. No hairballs in the house here.. but we do brushing 1-3 times a week depending on who sits with me.

Posted by ilovecats | April 26, 2013, 8:32 AM
  9. Thank you dear Rumpy, it is so nice to share with us. I give hairball food to my cat… We love you ALL, have a nice weekend, love, nia

Posted by niasunset | April 26, 2013, 9:15 AM
  10. Mom sometimes neglect brushing our kitties, so after reading this post, she started feeling that she should brush them more often.
    Thank you very much for reminding her about hairballs!
    Happy hairball day! *Oops!*

Posted by eripanwkevin | April 26, 2013, 9:33 AM
  11. thank you for this reminder.. sometimes i really forget to brush the kitties.. gotta do this regularly..

Posted by elizz | April 26, 2013, 11:13 AM
  12. Really? Are you making this up?

Posted by FleaByte | April 26, 2013, 11:14 AM
  13. There is a day for just about everything. I have never had a hair ball. Guess that’s a good thing.
    Blessings,
    Goose

Posted by Goose | April 26, 2013, 11:24 AM
  14. Our cat Kosmo has long hair and vomits up hairballs now and then. They look just like turds except they smell better!
    ~Ryker

Posted by wigglebuttryker | April 26, 2013, 12:39 PM
  15. very good advice!

Posted by Soda Mountain | April 26, 2013, 1:29 PM
  16. Great Advice with Your wonderful sense of humour added in for good measure – love the furries 🙂 xo C xx

Posted by Cat Forsley | April 26, 2013, 2:14 PM
  17. Rumpydog – you are now Sam Cat’s favorite public service announcer. He said any dog that would take up and promote a cat cause should win the Nobel Peace prize.

I sneak in a bit of mineral oil once a week into Sam’s food, but please don’t tell him. It helps him with those nasty hairballs.

Posted by kanzensakura | April 26, 2013, 2:25 PM
  18. We need to get the mom to furminate us so we don’t hork up a hairball!

Posted by theislandcats | April 26, 2013, 6:32 PM
  19. Hi, I’ve nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award. If time allows, please find your link and the rules at http://livingwithmyancestors.wordpress.com/2013/04/26/my-very-first-blog-award/

Posted by Linda Arthur Tejera | April 26, 2013, 7:21 PM
  20. With 5 cats, we seem to have hairball day more often than I care to have! I’m going to try increasing the brushing. Thx for all the suggestions.

Posted by Linda Arthur Tejera | April 26, 2013, 9:14 PM
  21. Oh My Cod! Me missed hairball day! Me is going to fire my assistant (if me can find another!)
    And me is just now catching up with yous!
    kisses
    Nellie

Posted by catfromhell | April 26, 2013, 10:33 PM
  22. Hi, just to let you know that I nominated you for a Sunshine Award as I have been really enjoying your blog. http://barktime.wordpress.com/2013/04/27/sunshine-award/ Best wishes Agata via Bark Time

Posted by agatapokutycka | April 27, 2013, 1:04 PM
  23. Very important information, thanks for sharing!

Posted by Misty Shores Chesapeakes | April 27, 2013, 7:49 PM
  24. 🙂 It’s never a happy hairball day!

Posted by Flo | April 29, 2013, 1:03 AM

I say I'm helping Jen work, but she says I'm a hindrance. I say shes full of it. #eldercat #gingercat #cat #cats #catsofinstagram #cats_of_instagram