The Bestest Dog Treat Ever! Seriously!

Now you know how much Rumpy likes his cookies!

But did you ever think there would be a treat he’d enjoy just as much, yet was WAY better for him? It’s true!

What could it be???????

yummy, scrummy chickpeas!

yummy, scrummy chickpeas!

WHAT?

The dogs love chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans)! Chickpeas are a healthy snack for dogs: they contain protein, fiber, Vitamins A, B, and C, as well as lecithin and potassium.

We were first turned on to chickpeas while looking for foods that wouldn’t aggravate DeDe’s food allergies. We found chickpea flour and made our own treats. It’s easy- for every cup of wheat flour called for, use 7/8 cup of chickpea flour instead.

If you use canned peas, watch the sodium content. Jen recently bought this can of chickpeas:

uh oh! TOO much sodium!

Pay attention to the sodium content!

When she got home she remembered to check the label, and one 1/2 cup serving has 20% recommended daily intake of salt! ACK! Rinse those puppies off in a strainer!

Chickpeas are a great snack for humans as well. One half-cup serving has 105 calories.

Want to give ’em a try? Here’s a few recipes that you’ll love!

Here’s a recipe for toasted chickpeas for dogs from Two Little Cavaliers.

And for you humans, two great snacks courtesy of Sweet Pea’s Kitchen (these are both amazing):

Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas

Oven Roasted Chickpeas with Moroccan Spices

But trust me, I like ’em right from the can.

So next time you’re at the grocery, pick up a can and see for yourself how much dogs like ’em!

Click here to enjoy other great blogs by, about, and for animal lovers!

Click here to enjoy other great blogs by, about, and for animal lovers!

57 thoughts on “The Bestest Dog Treat Ever! Seriously!

1. I WOULD EAT IT πŸ™‚ XO

Posted by Cat Forsley | May 25, 2013, 7:52 AM
  2. Yes! Gizmo loves chick peas…I thought he was the only one πŸ™‚

Posted by Gizmo | May 25, 2013, 7:53 AM
  3. I will try it – Rumpy is the cookie-saurus – he’s an expert I think :o)

Posted by easyweimaraner | May 25, 2013, 8:22 AM
  4. thanks for sharing this! I never would have thought to give chickpeas to a dog. What about the “poop factor” with them?

Posted by catchatcaren | May 25, 2013, 8:35 AM
  5. Funny, made some chickpeas today and Tara (my dog) loved it! πŸ™‚

Posted by gita4elamats | May 25, 2013, 8:59 AM
  6. Excellent choice. I have several recipes we use with chickpeas. Wonder if our cats would like them … hmm.

Posted by earthriderjudyberman | May 25, 2013, 9:03 AM
  7. Wow! You and DeDe seem to have fun catching those chickpeas!
    I remember you once told us about chickpeas flour on your post and since then, we’re very interested in it, but mom never gives us chickpeas themselves, so didn’t know that they are so yummy!
    We should try it! πŸ™‚

Posted by eripanwkevin | May 25, 2013, 9:05 AM
  8. We love chickpeas here in our house but the dogs have never tried any treats with them… we might have some baking to do!

Posted by Emily @ Adventures of a Dog Mom | May 25, 2013, 9:32 AM
  9. Thanks yoowooooowoooo for the chickpea info! Ku

Posted by Julianne Victoria | May 25, 2013, 10:37 AM
  10. Quite interesting, never thought about those before!

Posted by Emmadog | May 25, 2013, 10:46 AM
  11. They look so yummy, but Mom is afraid I will swallow them whole. She always gets treats that I am forced to chew, so I don’t get a tummy ache.

Love and licks and I hate to chew,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | May 25, 2013, 10:52 AM
    • Ask her to bake some treats with chickpea flour, or cook the peas until soft.

Posted by rumpydog | May 25, 2013, 11:01 AM
      • Do not give your dog treats made with flour! Flour is a known food that most dogs react badly to. Use quick oats or brown rice instead. If you feel that you must use flour…whole wheat is the lesser of the two evils.

Posted by Mr Roboto | August 16, 2016, 7:44 PM
  12. I will have to make some treats for Maya! she is a snacker…
    Thank you I know what I will be getting at the grocery store today!
    Take Care…
    Hope your weekend is going well…we have a lull in rain so far 10+ inches(but we need it so I am not complaining, though the electric being off for over 4 hours was trying LOLs..)
    )0(
    ladyblue

Posted by LadyBlueRose's Thoughts Into Words | May 25, 2013, 11:12 AM
  13. oh, Thank you for the recipes!

Posted by LadyBlueRose's Thoughts Into Words | May 25, 2013, 11:13 AM
  14. I just love humas on a pita. Thanks for the idea of giving it as a treat to BJ.

Posted by BJ Pup | May 25, 2013, 12:03 PM
  15. Oh yes please! I just discovered Falafels in San Jose and they are made with Chickpeas. Dap on the Tzatziki sauce and Bobs your uncle.

Posted by Boomdeeadda | May 25, 2013, 12:20 PM
  16. Chickpeas? Go figure!

Posted by The Hook | May 25, 2013, 12:39 PM
  17. That’s really cute! πŸ™‚

Posted by panoramaofthoughts | May 25, 2013, 12:48 PM
  18. I never knew dogs enjoyed this tasty treat.

Posted by Colline | May 25, 2013, 1:10 PM
  19. Interesting. I never thought of using chickpeas as a dog treat or for making dog treats. We will have to give that a try. πŸ™‚

Posted by ILoveDogs | May 25, 2013, 1:14 PM
  20. Sadly JT is too picky for her own good 😦 I adore these beauties though. JT loves when I roast Chicken though πŸ™‚

Posted by nutsfortreasure | May 25, 2013, 1:22 PM
  21. We are a chickpea loving family too πŸ™‚
    I once bonded with a 200lb English Mastiff over a can (or two) of chickpeas… he let me put them in his giant mouth one by one… unlike all other treats which he would snatch at, fingers and all. Our friendship was sealed after that!

Posted by The Lonely Dogs | May 25, 2013, 1:27 PM
  22. Wow!! I love chickpea and did not even think of them for dogs, but it makes sense that they would be good for them. I love humus and now I am craving some!! Have a great holiday weekend!

Posted by Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey | May 25, 2013, 1:47 PM
  23. We (the kitties) tried some when OurPeople gave them to Shadow (the pup) for a treat. He loved them…we found they were more fun to bat around than to eat. Still, a very good and yummy idea. Thanks@

Posted by Annabelle Essert (@RainbowCatsx8) | May 25, 2013, 5:38 PM
  24. Love healthy treats!

Posted by Marcie | May 25, 2013, 7:47 PM
  25. Ohhh I had no clue πŸ˜€

Posted by LifeOfBun | May 25, 2013, 10:19 PM
  26. I have never tried chickpeas Rumpy – I will now! πŸ™‚

Posted by Bassa's Blog | May 26, 2013, 1:58 AM
  27. The human is shouting “Falafel”! ????

Posted by CATachresis | May 26, 2013, 6:09 AM
  28. We love chickpeas! Sounds so yummy (will try them with Molly slowly – such a delicate tummy….)
    This is a perfect post to get attention…speaking of attention, I don’t use twitter so putting this here for other readers who do – and might want to get WP a shout about Rumpy
    (and help Jen)
    From PiedType.com’s blog
    “Note to WP bloggers: If you think is worthy of being Freshly Pressed, tweet it to WP at @freshly_pressed. I’d been told there was no way to nominate a post, but today’s WordPress newsletter says: β€œDid you read something in the Reader that you think is Freshly Pressed material? Feel free to leave us a link, or tweet us @freshly_pressed.”

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | May 26, 2013, 8:59 AM
  29. I think I’ll add some of these to my person’s next grocery list when she’s not looking.

Posted by Bongo | May 26, 2013, 4:03 PM
  30. Wow, I did not know about it. I am going to try it on my 2. I hope they will like it like I do πŸ˜‰

Posted by agatapokutycka | May 27, 2013, 4:54 AM
  31. Did not know that! I’ll be trying those soon πŸ™‚

Posted by Misaki | May 27, 2013, 11:39 AM
  32. chickpeas?? Who knew?

I love em.

Posted by Lunar Euphoria | May 28, 2013, 5:35 PM
  33. I fry them up in a pan with a little garlic and salt and share them with the pups. πŸ™‚

Posted by Jodi | May 30, 2013, 3:24 PM
  34. How bout roasted or boiled ones?!

Posted by Akshat | October 22, 2013, 10:59 AM
    • Please don’t feed your dog…garlic…salt or fried foods. Garlic has recently been proven to be toxic to K9s and we all know that salt is bad for them too and really…who doesn’t know that oils and fried food are bad for their dog? Just give them the chick peas uncooked raw but put them in a food processor first. Don’t buy the ones with flavors! You are not eating them…your dog is. Dogs don’t need and usually react poorly to a lot of human foods, spices and herbs. I uses the “KISS” method. “Keep IT Simply Stupid”. Chick peas are awesome for your dog. So don’t screw it up by add stuff to it that will hurt them. Do the research!

Posted by Mr Roboto | August 16, 2016, 7:32 PM
    • Just give them the chick peas raw…put them in a food processor.

Posted by Mr Roboto | August 16, 2016, 7:34 PM

1. Pingback: Can Dogs Eat Chickpeas? Are Chickpeas Good Or Bad For Dogs? - April 13, 2017

Little Girl insists my office chair is hers. I’ll have to break down and get a chair for me. #cat #catsofinstagram #catstagram #caturday #cats #blackcat #housepanther #IWantMyChairBack