Hisses and Purrs!

It’s time for another visit with June Buggie and Hissy Fit Jones to run down the good, and not-so-good, news in the animal welfare arena.

Are you ready Lil’ Hiss?

Oh yeah, he's ready!

Oh yeah, he’s ready!

Hisses to the UK’s House of Commons for voting down a motion calling for the badger cull to be abandoned. The motion was narrowly defeated by 49 votes.  If you live in the UK, please sign Brian May’s e-petition to stop the badger cull.

Hisses to Kristján Loftsson, CEO of Iceland’s only fin whaling company, for planning to hunt fin whales in the area where whale watchers go to commune with the sleek creatures. Fin whales, the second largest whales, are endangered, yet will be hunted to satisfy the Japanese market. One bit of good news though: Yesterday the Dutch State Secretary announced she will act to stop the whale meat transfer through European ports.

Hisses to Charles Kokesh of Pensacola Florida, for illegally trading the ivory tusks from a legally imported African elephant trophy mount from Namibia.  A grand jury indicted him for violating the Endangered Species Act and making false statements. Really? You can import an elephant trophy, then trust the buyer to not sell the ivory afterward? What a stupid law!

Alrighty then! How about some good news! Ready June Buggie?

Ah.... much better!

Ah…. much better!

Purrs to the Oregon Legislature for passing H.B. 2783B, which restricts the chaining and tethering of dogs. We hope Gov. Kitzhaber signs the bill into law.

Purrs to China! Chinese customs officials intercepted a massive amount of ivory smuggled from Africa.  Three men involved in the smuggling ring were convicted and received jail sentences of between 7 and 15 years.

Special purrs for New Jersey Senator Frank Lautenberg, who recently passed away. Senator Lautenberg worked for the welfare of animals. He will be missed here, but I’ll bet there were many at the Rainbow Bridge who were happy to see him.

Do YOU have any hisses or purrs for this week?

17 thoughts on “Hisses and Purrs!

1. No hisses to Purrime Ministerettes!

That hooman House is so…well, lame. Them not knows how to do politics out there. And we no ashamed to saying that. You knows dad working there? Well, he does. And he so jealous of us he wanna steal PM pawwer and reign. He been politicat for over 25 years now, but he no can EVER beat Purrime Ministerettes or even COMPETE wiz Purrime Ministerettes. No ever not in 9 lives.

Hisses to all hooman politicats.

Salute!

Posted by Shiva & Jaya | June 11, 2013, 5:03 AM
  2. That’s a cute June Buggie photo 🙂

Posted by bumpyroadtobubba | June 11, 2013, 5:07 AM
  3. The hisses are well deserved – thankfully there are some purrs too but they do tend to be outweighed 😦

Posted by Animalcouriers | June 11, 2013, 6:43 AM
  4. ooohhh – that first picture of the purr thing – that means business. Glad I’m not on the receiving end of that – oink XOXO – Bacon

Posted by PigLove | June 11, 2013, 7:30 AM
  5. Purrrs for your Jen, because although she must be very concerned about Bubba and DeDe, also must be busy, still she write regular posts for animal welfare and animal rights for readers!!! Thank you very much!

I feel very disappointed that in Japan some people still have whale meat….probably people in foreign countries think Japanese people eat whale meats but most Japanese people don’t and in fact, we don’t see whale meat sold at supermarket or meat market….
    It’s very sad to hunt whales for our country…. 😦
    Hisses to Kristján Loftsson…..

Posted by eripanwkevin | June 11, 2013, 9:10 AM
  6. Senator Lautenberg will be missed here in NJ.

Posted by Colleen | June 11, 2013, 9:20 AM
  7. Hisses and Purrs are like Growls and Wags, Right???

Posted by Frankie and Ernie | June 11, 2013, 10:57 AM
  8. Purrs to jen and dede. Jen for her dedication to animal welfare, her furr babies and purrs to miss dede. Feel better soon. =^..^=

Posted by peacelovenwhiskers | June 11, 2013, 5:41 PM
  9. Well said…I would like to send some nasty hisses to the humans that put a telephone signal tower in the next street and because I live inside I can’t go out and use it as a scratching post but will probably get some nasty mutated disease from it…..

purrs to my cousins vet who saved a hungry starving kitten by doing some emergency surgery to remove sticks and plastic from her stomach..all for nothing too..what a trooper Purrs Dr Rayya

Posted by boscocat | June 11, 2013, 6:24 PM
  10. Purrs to the kind person who adopted the two (formerly) feral kittens I rescued from certain death.

Posted by Howlin' Mad Heather | June 11, 2013, 7:27 PM
  11. We loved Sen. Lautenberg in this condo and will miss him but we’re hoping that Cory Booker takes his place. In fact, we’re working for Mayor Booker to become the next POTUS. A few months ago, he got a call that a dog was left chained outside a house in bad weather. He personally went to the house, unchained the dog and took legal action against the owner. He’s a hero.

Posted by Cathy Keisha (@CathyKeisha) | June 12, 2013, 5:01 PM
  12. Exellent leadership skills in the diplomacy department Rump’.

(Deep Breath) I think it is so important to make clear to the Chinese people and government how we feel about their actions. They are a culture so long isolated and so different in their thinking. I seems to me critical that we provide positive re-enforcement and praise when they do what we believe is right. They must be assured that what they are coming to understand through the internet etc; that people do care and not everyone is motivated by greed and deceit; is the truth about us.
    So “Bully” to China and I hope they continue to take such actions; though; I wish they were not needed.

Posted by angrymanspeaks | June 13, 2013, 9:03 AM
  13. haha so attractive!

Posted by whatuful | June 15, 2013, 9:06 AM

1. Pingback: Hisses and Purrs! | Catgurl40's Blog - June 11, 2013

I say I'm helping Jen work, but she says I'm a hindrance. I say shes full of it. #eldercat #gingercat #cat #cats #catsofinstagram #cats_of_instagram