Jen's thoughts, recipes

Sweet Tooth Satisfied: Cruelty-Free!

Miss us this weekend? I decided to take a couple of days off. What did I do with the free time?

Well, crave cookies, of course. Rumpy’s not the only one around here that likes cookies.

What’s a Cookie Monster to do if she craves chocolate chip cookies, but wants to live cruelty-free?

Make her own!

028

Chocolate chip cookie bars hot from the oven

OK, so I made bars. And yes, they are vegan.

But wait! How’d you do that?

Baking vegan is not difficult at all. It simply takes some planning.

I’ve baked with both soy and almond milk. I prefer unsweetened milk for baking. If your recipe calls for buttermilk, simply add a tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of your milk.

Substituting margarine for butter is easy. Just check your ingredient label to make sure there’s no whey, lactose, casein or caseinate in the mix. Personally, I use Smart Balance. The organic spread is vegan and is suitable for baking. Earth Balance is also a good product, but not usually available in our grocery store.

023

Smart Balance is also a healthier choice for baking.

But what about the eggs?

Substituting eggs in a baking recipe is amazingly simple. There is an egg substitute called Ener-G Egg Replacer.

018

Ener G is great and is easy to store, so you can always have an egg substitute on hand.

To substitute for one egg, simply add 1 1/2 teaspoons of Ener G to 2 tablespoons warm water, stir and let sit for a few seconds. Warning: This box of energy will last even the most dedicated of bakers awhile. While I like and use this product, I don’t recommend using Ener G with plain flour. If you do, you may end up with a salty taste to your baked goods.

You can also use ground flax seed as an egg substitute. Simply combine 1 tablespoon ground flax seed to 3 tablespoons warm water. Let sit for a few moments before using.

Other egg substitutes? How about 1/4 cup silken tofu, blended until smooth. But what about the leftover? You can freeze it. Just measure out 1/4 cup portions and pop in the freezer. Then you’ve got egg portions ready as you need them.

Enjoy Life products are produced for those who have food allergies. Many of their products are vegan. Check the label.

You can use 1/3 cup applesauce, 1/3 cup pumpkin, or 1/4 cup pureed banana. The downside is they’re going to change the taste of your baked goods, so they’re not suitable for every recipe.

You can also use gelatin. However, keep in mind that gelatin products not labeled as vegan are NOT vegetarian. The marshmallows and gummy bears you love, the capsules you take, and the gelatin desserts you enjoy are made using connective tissue, skin, and bones of cows and pigs.

The BEST part of baking vegan is that once again you can lick the bowl! No worries for salmonella because you’re not using eggs!

You can eat cookie dough again!

You can eat cookie dough again!

Your turn. Are you a cruelty-free baker? What substitutes do you find helpful?

Rumpy has gone on from this plane. We, his kitty siblings,continue to blog about animal welfare and responsible care of companion animals at rumpydog.com in his stead. You can follow us on Twitter - @RumpyDog. And don't forget to LIKE our Facebook page! Thanks!

37 thoughts on “Sweet Tooth Satisfied: Cruelty-Free!

1. I’m saving this for after my cleanse!

Posted by bumpyroadtobubba | September 23, 2013, 5:51 AM
  2. Miss you rumpy 🙂

Posted by 10eveningflowers | September 23, 2013, 6:32 AM
    • Thank you! I am getting back in the groove!

Posted by rumpydog | September 23, 2013, 7:06 AM
      • there’s a post i have shared from someone’s blog about a dog named cocoa!!! you need to read that!! And also help me make that girl who commented below “sarah” realize that a furchildrens are not disposable 😥

Posted by 10eveningflowers | September 23, 2013, 7:17 AM
      • Also i forgot to mention that in my post “an open letter…” a girl has mentioned your name to inspire her to get a pet!! Her pet is 6 months old now and she says she got after reading the blog “Rumpy Dog”. I am happy that your blog helped a fur baby to get a home 🙂

Posted by 10eveningflowers | September 23, 2013, 7:33 AM
  3. Looks interesting. It’s always fun creating recipes that my family can eat. With various allergies it’s a bit awkward sometimes but we get around it. Currently working on an egg free, dairy free, gluten free – spiced apple cake. It’s a bit frustrating right now but I want it to make something everyone can eat for Friday, so practicing now!

~ Amy

Posted by hutchagoodlife | September 23, 2013, 6:51 AM
  4. That looks tasty! Think I will join the cookie-saurus-crew! I wish I would found that egg replacement here, sometimes I’m not sure if the eggs from supermarket are always ok, because sometimes they smell and look weird.

Posted by easyweimaraner | September 23, 2013, 7:33 AM
  5. Wow!!! Chocolate chip cookie is one of mom’s favorite!!! Besides they use replacements for vegan which sounds very healthy! We have some vegan restaurants in Japan, too but not so many….besides it’s hard to find those replacements for cooking something……….
    By the way, we hadn’t hear from you only for a few days…we missed you alot!!!! We so glad you’re here today!!! 🙂

Posted by eripanwkevin | September 23, 2013, 8:43 AM
  6. It’s *always* helpful to have an arsenal of alternatives in the benign war against allergies and sensitivities (physiological or psychological or both!).

Posted by kathryningrid | September 23, 2013, 11:01 AM
  7. Oh my I am so hungry now 🙂

Posted by mythreemoggies | September 23, 2013, 12:10 PM
  8. Oh my, that looks so delicious! Thank you for the substitutes list. Great ideas. 🙂

Posted by ILoveDogs | September 23, 2013, 12:24 PM
  9. Happy to have you back

Posted by agatapokutycka | September 23, 2013, 2:23 PM
  10. That looks totally gooey and yummy!! Thanks for sharing the substitute samples too!

Take care
    x

Posted by Old Kitty | September 23, 2013, 2:24 PM
  11. And if the chop chips are carob or have no chocolate (which I know sounds weird but I have seen them) the fur-ones can enjoy… in moderation as well 🙂

Posted by EllaDee | September 24, 2013, 12:52 AM
  12. Once again thank you for the info. I was always curious what vegans use to make chocolate chip cookies and such. Do you find these items in a specialty store or would any grocery store have them?

Posted by peacelovenwhiskers | September 24, 2013, 6:32 AM
  13. Ohh.. keep them coming please.. i’d love more cruelty free cooking ideas. 🙂 Looks yummy.

Posted by LifeOfBun | September 24, 2013, 6:43 AM
  14. looks yummy!xx Speedy

Posted by speedyrabbit | September 24, 2013, 10:47 AM
  15. Those bars look delicious!

Posted by Marcie | September 24, 2013, 11:11 AM
  16. Yummy tummy! Molly says 2 paws up!

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | September 24, 2013, 5:25 PM
  17. They look delish!!!! 😉
    Sherri-Ellen & Nylablue xo

Posted by Nylabluesmum | September 28, 2013, 8:02 PM

1. Pingback: Sweet Tooth Satisfied: Cruelty-Free! | Catgurl40's Blog - September 24, 2013

Hissy Fit Jones takes a nap #formerferal #gingercat #cat #cats #catstagram #catsofinstagram