activism, Product Reviews

Oooohhhhh!!!! Chocolate!

I love chocolate.

065

This is chocolate made without milk

Clever marketers have convinced us that chocolate consumption is just as effective as therapy. Science doesn’t support their claims, but there are studies that show some health benefits to chocolate consumption. Chocolate may improve brain function. It may lessen your risk of heart failure and heart attack. The flavanols in chocolate can lower blood pressure. It may even reduce your risk of stroke.

Keep in mind that the positive benefits come from dark chocolate, and not from the processed stuff that is marketed as chocolate.

The good news for us who care about animal welfare is that it’s fairly easy to buy vegan dark chocolate. If you live in the US, you’ll want to stick with organics to ensure the sugar isn’t processed with animal bone char (that’s not a problem in other parts of the world). Check the ingredients to ensure there’s no stray milk products included, and you’re good to go!

Of course a post about animal welfare has to promote Endangered Species Chocolate

Of course a post about animal welfare has to mentionΒ Endangered Species Chocolate

For those of you that love milk chocolate, don’t despair.

This is Sweet Chocolate Dream, made by the same folks that bring you Soy Dream, Rice Dream, and Almond Dream frozen desserts.

This chocolate is dairy free, yet has a taste similar to milk chocolate

This chocolate is dairy free, yet has a taste similar to milk chocolate

This bar has a higher melting point than milk chocolate, so it’s going to remain hard in your mouth. But I left a bar in the car and it got soft, and that chocolate was creamy, just like a bar of milk chocolate. I haven’t replicated that in an oven or microwave, so I am not sure how that would work.

But what about special chocolate treats, like for the holidays?

If you want to give the gift of chocolate, let me tell you about Rose City Chocolates.

Rose City offers a wide selection of vegan chocolates, including these cuties for fall.

Hazelnut truffle pumpkins and are vegan! (photo from Rose City)

Hazelnut truffle pumpkins and are vegan! (photo from Rose City)

They’ll soon have their Christmas and winter holiday items available, including Santas and snowmen figures. My personal favorite is the vegan cherries. Yum!

So you see, you can still indulge, but in a healthier way, and support animal welfare in the process!

Is there a cruelty-free chocolate that you enjoy? Tell us about it in the comments section!

44 thoughts on “Oooohhhhh!!!! Chocolate!

1. Drool…they look fab..also check with the ingredients for palm sugar…so often this ingredient is hidden away. Love me some chocky and this looks great πŸ™‚ Fozziemum x

Posted by fozziemum | September 30, 2013, 6:08 AM
  2. I’ve heard that chocolate is poisonous to dogs. Is that true?

Posted by Russell Smith | September 30, 2013, 6:31 AM
    • It is. And the higher the cocoa content, the more dangerous it can be.

Posted by rumpydog | September 30, 2013, 6:32 AM
    • I have heard the same thing from many different sources, including vets. A little bit is not a problem (depending on the size of the dog, obviously) … but a lot can make them very sick. Or so they say.

Tell that, however, to our big Australian Shepherd who ate an entire Whitman’s Sampler one day and didn’t even belch. Of course, he also scarfed down an entire roast chicken, bones and all (no problems, it was years ago … he’s fine and the kids now lock food up where he can’t get it) and finally, half a pound of really excellent coffee beans — loves coffee … maybe it was to go with the chocolate? Made him really lively until he gave him diarhhea.

So I guess exactly HOW poisonous depends on the dog.

Posted by Teepee12 | September 30, 2013, 10:26 AM
      • True! Rumpy ate half a bag of chocolates- wrapper included- and never burped either.

Posted by rumpydog | September 30, 2013, 10:55 AM
      • Be careful of cats and chocolate too! It’s very toxic. Vets often call it the “Hershey Squirts” but it’s not so funny when you’re cleaning the litter box

Posted by LJ | September 30, 2013, 2:11 PM
  3. Chocolate is emotional magic, if it has more heath benefits that just sweetens the pot πŸ™‚

Posted by bettywins3 | September 30, 2013, 6:39 AM
  4. I can barely type…there’s so much drool on the keyboard. Must…eat…chocolate…

Posted by Cubby | September 30, 2013, 7:24 AM
  5. Mum really wants some chocolate now and bet every woman that reads this does LOL πŸ™‚ x

Posted by mythreemoggies | September 30, 2013, 7:30 AM
  6. I wish I could grab a piece from the screen :o)

Posted by easyweimaraner | September 30, 2013, 8:07 AM
  7. We always buy cruelty-free chocolate too. Endangered Species dark chocolate mint is my absolute FAVORITE! πŸ˜€ I never heard of Rose City, but I’m going to check them out now for sure!

Posted by raisingdaisy | September 30, 2013, 8:17 AM
  8. Oh gosh. I’m drooling so much now! *tries to resist urge to go out and buy some choccies now!*

~ Amy

Posted by hutchagoodlife | September 30, 2013, 8:24 AM
  9. Those smiling pumpkin faces are impossible to resist.

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | September 30, 2013, 8:52 AM
  10. Yum! I like the idea of chocolate made with a dairy alternative – almond milk chocolate would be delicious, I imagine! I’m going to have to keep an eye out for brands available in the Great White North.

Posted by thatjenk | September 30, 2013, 9:25 AM
  11. Are there any that are sugar free as well?

Posted by Ms. Kathy | September 30, 2013, 10:06 AM
  12. Mama’s gonna go get some chocolate now! Woooowoooooooo!

Posted by Kuruk | September 30, 2013, 11:05 AM
  13. Delicious! Just don’t give your dog any. I think I’m going to run over to the health market right now. πŸ™‚

Posted by ILoveDogs | September 30, 2013, 11:30 AM
  14. We love chocolates!!!!!! *whispers*Mom never let me try them though…..
    Those vegan pumpkin chocolates looks so yummy! πŸ™‚

Posted by eripanwkevin | September 30, 2013, 11:36 AM
  15. Organica chocolate! Yum! And though not strictly vegan, Divine chocolate – Fair Trade chocolate! Take care
    x

Posted by Old Kitty | September 30, 2013, 12:41 PM
  16. You made my day! πŸ™‚

Posted by Herman | September 30, 2013, 1:01 PM
  17. My mouth is watering…and it’s only 11 a.m. Is that too early to eat chocolate? I’ll have to check out your yummy suggestions.

hugs for this inspirational post…to eat chocolates…and not feel guilty. πŸ™‚

Posted by hugmamma | September 30, 2013, 1:03 PM
  18. Drooling so I searched for some readings online! http://www.exploratorium.edu/exploring/exploring_chocolate/index.html

Posted by Nessy San | September 30, 2013, 1:35 PM
  19. I’ve got the worst sweet tooth… I’m definitely checking out this place!

Posted by Emily @ Adventures of a Dog Mom | September 30, 2013, 1:52 PM
  20. Oh man oh man oh man oh man. I feel like a dog waiting for the ball to be thrown right now.

Posted by LifeOfBun | September 30, 2013, 4:17 PM
  21. Oh dear, cleansing day 13 mumma really shouldn’t have read this one!!

Posted by bumpyroadtobubba | October 4, 2013, 5:31 AM

1. Pingback: Oooohhhhh!!!! Chocolate! | Catgurl40's Blog - October 1, 2013

I'm hanging in the linen closet today. I'm feeling better! #gi#eldercat #caturday #cats #cat #catsofinstagram #cats_of_instagram #catstagram