Dear DeDe

DeDe: It’s All in the Smile!

DeDe here with another beauty tip to make you look and feel your best.

Time for this week's tip from Dear DeDe!

Time for this week’s tip from Dear DeDe!

This week’s tip: It’s all in the smile!

Each week I tell you it’s an essential beauty product. But why? Simply because people who smile are seen as being more confident and approachable.

And smiling has measurable benefits as well. A study conducted at the University of Kansas found that smiling reduces stress. That’s right.You can still have a great deal of stress in your life, but when you smile, you lessen the effects of that stress on your body.

Another study that was published in the journal Psychological Science found that people who smile after stressful tasks show a greater reduction in heart rate than people who maintain a neutral facial expression.

And check this out! Dr. Eric Finzi of Maryland studied people with depression. He injected Botox into the frown muscles of half of the subjects so they were unable to frown. The other subjects received placebo injections. After six weeks, 27% of the Botox patients went into remission for their depression, while 7% of the control group went into remission.

But the best part of a smile is that when we smile, not only do we benefit from its’ positive effects, but so do the people who see us smile. Dr Marco Iacoboni of the UCLA Brain Mapping Center documented in his book, “Mirroring People,” that when we see another person smile, the same neurons fire that do when we smile ourselves. That’s why smiles are contagious!

Watch this short video and let’s see what YOU’RE doing at the end.

So never leave home without a smile!

See you next time!

Rumpy has gone on from this plane. We, his kitty siblings,continue to blog about animal welfare and responsible care of companion animals at rumpydog.com in his stead. You can follow us on Twitter - @RumpyDog. And don't forget to LIKE our Facebook page! Thanks!

45 thoughts on “DeDe: It’s All in the Smile!

1. DeDe you always make us smile,xx Speedy

Posted by speedyrabbit | October 27, 2013, 7:41 AM
  2. You have a gorgeous smile Dede. I try to smile, but it doesn’t show up very well. he he – guess some cats can do it and others can’t.

Posted by mariodacat | October 27, 2013, 7:42 AM
  3. DeDe your smile is so heart warming …I even smiled at a crocodile once and he sure smiled back at me.. 🙂

Posted by fozziemum | October 27, 2013, 7:53 AM
  4. Purrfect advice Dede! SMILE! who knew all the benefits?! Pawesome! =^.^=

Posted by baileyboatcat | October 27, 2013, 8:07 AM
  5. I agree – a smile can be as powerful as a weapon. I’m sadly not a smiling breed, but I can smile with my tail :o)

Posted by easyweimaraner | October 27, 2013, 8:08 AM
  6. I agree DeDe, smiling face makes you smile like you always do to us! Thank you very much for the great post DeDe!
    Have a lovely Sunday! 🙂

Posted by eripanwkevin | October 27, 2013, 8:49 AM
  7. WE like Seeing and giving SMILES.

Posted by Frankie and Ernie | October 27, 2013, 9:20 AM
  8. DeDe, you make me smile! Woooooowoooooooo!

Posted by Kuruk | October 27, 2013, 9:59 AM
  9. Smiling also offsets someone else’s grumpiness.

Posted by BJ Pup | October 27, 2013, 10:00 AM
  10. Great video. Thank you for the post, DeDe!

Posted by Moxie Reviews™ (@MoxieReviews) | October 27, 2013, 10:00 AM
  11. DeDe, we LOVE your smile. It makes us so happy, which just proves your point even more! We’re going to smile like it’s going out of style, and see what happens. 🙂

That video was awesome!

Posted by meowmeowmans | October 27, 2013, 10:02 AM
  12. That’s so true and I really loved that video. Just last week, I did a little experiment on my way to the market. I left the house and said I would offer a big smile to everyone I walked past and see if they reciprocated. I pasted 5 people in the park and only one did not, I think she thought I was a weirdo 😀

Posted by Boomdeeadda | October 27, 2013, 12:15 PM
  13. No one has as beautiful smile as you do.

Posted by digitalgranny | October 27, 2013, 2:58 PM
  14. Loved the video. Yes i was smiling at the end.

Posted by geanieroake | October 27, 2013, 2:59 PM
  15. “When you smile at me I will understand…” That works if you’re from a certain era. Animals also recognize a smile in humans and I’ve always said it was part of my success in rescuing and fostering cats and kittens.

Posted by Bernadette | October 27, 2013, 3:55 PM
  16. GAH! You guessed it, DeDe! Mom was cracking up during the video. That was awesome!

Love and licks and smiles,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | October 27, 2013, 4:41 PM
  17. I gently suggested to one of my students that her constant frowning was not a welcoming look. I hope she does smile more. It’s a great tip, DeDe.

Posted by earthriderjudyberman | October 27, 2013, 5:44 PM
  18. Mom says I am a “natural” smiler and you know what? SHE is too!

Posted by Dakota/Caren/Cody | October 27, 2013, 6:23 PM
  19. What a fun you tube; I enjoyed it and am still smiling.

Posted by morristownmemos by Ronnie Hammer | October 27, 2013, 6:38 PM
  20. Certainly the dog is confident and approachable and that ain’t bad already. Then there’s that contagion thing about smiling, which must be genetic. And that dogs can enter into the human equation like that is something genetic with them too.

Posted by Bumba | October 27, 2013, 6:53 PM
  21. Growing up the mom had a poodle who smiled at everyone, especially as people came in the front door. What a lovely greeting, and one that had all visitors smiling too!

Posted by Oui Oui | October 27, 2013, 7:49 PM
  22. No one has ever laughed or even smiles whiles waiting for a subway in NYC. If they did, they would be stabbed or pushed onto the tracks. Sad, isn’t it.

Posted by Cathy Keisha (@CathyKeisha) | October 27, 2013, 8:55 PM
  23. Reblogged this on delia1979.

Posted by delia1979 | October 28, 2013, 6:56 AM
  24. DeDe you look very confident and approachable and simply marvelous! Love that photo. 🙂

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | October 28, 2013, 8:47 AM
  25. DeDe you look wonderful and me and the human were chortling by the end of the video!!

Posted by Austin Towers | October 28, 2013, 9:11 AM
  26. I’m for SMILES all day/365 days. Sending you guys Lots of Golden SMILES. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Posted by goldenwoofs | October 28, 2013, 9:49 AM
  27. 🙂 🙂 🙂 works for me DeeDee!!!
    Sherrie-Ellen & Nylablue too.

Posted by Nylabluesmum | October 31, 2013, 8:16 PM

Hissy Fit Jones takes a nap #formerferal #gingercat #cat #cats #catstagram #catsofinstagram