My Dog Really DOES Understand Me!

“My dog listens to me.”

“He seems to know what I’m saying.”

“She understands me.”

017

You said cookie. I know you just said cookie.

Dog lovers have always known this. But guess what? Now there’s science to back it up!

Researchers with the Hungarian Academy of Sciences studied MRIs of dogs taught to lie still in the machines, and then compared them to humans.

The findings? Dogs, like humans, can hear emotion in communication. That’s why your dog knows how you’re feeling- he can hear it!

Not surprisingly, dogs’ brains respond more to sounds than to voices. Maybe that’s why your dog barks at things you don’t seem to hear.

The researchers learned that dogs have similar capabilities to process social information. This could mean that at some point in the future, humans and dogs will be able to communicate verbally!

No point in studying whether cats listen to us or not.

No point in studying whether cats listen to us or not.

42 thoughts on “My Dog Really DOES Understand Me!

1. Yup–cats can hear but not sure they care to listen!!! PS, my ducks can do both!

Posted by Lori Fontanes | February 22, 2014, 6:57 AM
  2. Good old science. Way late to the party. We all know our dogs understand us. Our moods are their moods and visa versa. Good to know though.

Posted by John W. Howell | February 22, 2014, 7:25 AM
  3. I saw that study and thought of you. 🙂 that’s wonderful news…proves all the dog lovers right. I do believe domestic animals react to sound, so cats are covered no need to study them. 🙂

Posted by peacelovenwhiskers | February 22, 2014, 7:33 AM
  4. Yes!!! We dogs are really clever animals!!! 🙂

Posted by eripanwkevin | February 22, 2014, 7:53 AM
  5. I guessed it :o) Imagine we really could communicate :o)

Posted by easyweimaraner | February 22, 2014, 7:55 AM
  6. Ironic that they needed a study to figure out what all of us knew in the first place 🙂

Posted by Marty the Manx | February 22, 2014, 8:00 AM
  7. So true about the cats, made me giggle when I read what you said. Hugs and nose kisses

Posted by Mags Corner | February 22, 2014, 8:03 AM
  8. My cats listen to me, when they feel like it.LOL

Posted by Russell Smith | February 22, 2014, 8:07 AM
  9. I saw the story and laughed. They are late to the party. I have cats and they know what’s going on. I had one cat that would throw herself on me purring when I cried. Another cat ate my divorce papers (and that’s the only thing in the mail she ate). No one can convince me that they aren’t tuned in even if sometimes they don’t want to be involved. After all, they are cats.

Posted by katecrimmins | February 22, 2014, 8:22 AM
  10. All the scientists had to do was ask us… We’ve known for years that animals can understand and communicate!

Posted by Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey | February 22, 2014, 8:40 AM
  11. Well Rumpy, I am so glad that scientists have finally been able to validate what all of us have known all this time. Maybe now that things have been reported, graphed, proven, they may finally accept the truth. Of course, some biped yutz someplace will now propose a study to the opposite…..LOL. Humans are strange critters. As a human, I can say that without reservation. And scientists are the strangest critters. We all need to be more like dogs (and sometimes cats). If so, I think this world would be a better place.

Posted by kanzensakura | February 22, 2014, 8:50 AM
  12. WE can UNDERSTAND Mom and Dad… we just Chews NOT to Lissen to them very often.

Posted by Frankie and Ernie | February 22, 2014, 8:54 AM
  13. I totally agree. The dog I had while going thru a divorce would always come sit by me and put his head in my lap if I was crying, they know. As for cats, anything that crinkles like the sound of a Whiska’s package has them running. They have what I’d refer to as selective hearing.

Posted by Boomdeeadda | February 22, 2014, 9:16 AM
  14. This is Purrime Ministerettes. We understanding staff very well. We just getting back to them at earliest convenience. We has to reign over Planet Purrth first and since this is very tiring, we needing many naps so what does them staff thinking….pff.

Posted by Shiva & Jaya | February 22, 2014, 9:20 AM
  15. Cats do have a mind of their own. 😉 With our dogs, even by my unspoken communication, I know that they understood me – and they really listened.

Posted by earthriderjudyberman | February 22, 2014, 9:31 AM
  16. My dogs communicate better than most of my friends. This is no surprise. And, how about elephants, etc. I could go on and on and on.

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | February 22, 2014, 10:24 AM
  17. All of the past and present Scotties have been able to communicate all to well.

Posted by corkscot | February 22, 2014, 10:51 AM
  18. Could u imagine just sitting around having a conversation with your dog? That would be so perfect!!!
    I mean, don’t get me wrong, I have conversations with my dogs all the time! Even when it is just me and them in the house. BOL!
    ((Husky hugz))
    Frum our pack at love is being owned by a husky

Posted by Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady | February 22, 2014, 11:21 AM
  19. Finally they admit it

Posted by Jo Bryant | February 22, 2014, 12:18 PM
  20. They needed scientists to figure this out. BOL

Posted by dogdaz | February 22, 2014, 2:22 PM
  21. So true…….I understand my flatmates Dave and Penny pretty much most of the time, however they still have a bit of trouble understanding me at times……….and thats after some pretty intense training with them. I don’t think I have an accent that would make it difficult………….but then you never know eh!

Posted by penelane | February 22, 2014, 4:30 PM
  22. Oh! Dog Rumpy I would love that.

Posted by willowdot21 | February 22, 2014, 5:21 PM
  23. Told ya!

Love and licks,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | February 22, 2014, 6:29 PM
  24. I agree they can hear it but there’s more to it than that. Deaf dogs “hear” too. And the way dogs communicate with each other. I have seen two dogs go over to a third, sleeping, wait until he wakes, then they look at each other — some kind of communication occurs — and the three go off together, usually to bark at something. My dogs know when I don’t feel well and they apparently sense where it hurts. After many surgeries, my dogs have never stepped on an incision. They are very gentle with people who are sick as I’m sure you’ve noticed. They sense many things, far beyond just what your voice registers. And some dogs are much smarter and more sensitive than others. A couple of dogs I’ve had were absolute geniuses … and a few, not so smart (but not less sweet).

Posted by Marilyn Armstrong | February 22, 2014, 8:44 PM
  25. Seems to me that they could have saved the money and just ask any dog owner/lover. We could have told them that when we cry, our dogs sense we need comfort and they give it. We know dogs learn words and BJ reacts to the tone in my voice. We communicate through facial expressions. A smile from me elicits a tail wag.

Posted by whydowepaythem | February 22, 2014, 10:57 PM
  26. They sure do! and the cats do and my sheep do…they know when I am anxious it’s all quite normal I think 🙂 hugs Fozziemum xx

Posted by fozziemum | February 23, 2014, 12:35 AM
  27. It’s great research and proves what we’ve always though true. Mind you, we had a cat who would come and keep you company if you were throwing up in the loo.

Posted by Animalcouriers | February 23, 2014, 2:16 AM
  28. Great blog Rumpy & Jen!!! Dogs are very good listeners…they make great therapy animals….
    Cats listen; they evaluate & then they for the most part continue on with their agendas…it is a good thing I think like a cat, lol…
    Love Sherri-Ellen & Nylablue too xoxoxo

Posted by Nylabluesmum | February 23, 2014, 3:30 PM
  29. That definitely makes sense

Posted by Misaki | February 23, 2014, 3:53 PM
  30. ummm…well Rumpy…we cats do indeed listen…we just do not necessarily “adjust what we want to do” based on what we hear…just sayin’…paw pats, Savannah

Posted by Savannah's Paw Tracks | February 23, 2014, 10:53 PM
  31. We had a series on here recently that looked into this too. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03thwhf/episodes/guide You might enjoying reading this page.

Posted by IsobelandCat | February 24, 2014, 3:13 PM
  32. they sure do 😀 – and the BBC series mentioned above was a great watch.

Posted by The Mighty Pooch | February 28, 2014, 4:49 AM
  33. It is never a question of whether animals can speak, but whether humans can hear them; I too have had the privilege of verbal communication with a few very evolved animals, as well as communicating with all animals in all ways, using The Animal/Human Interlink based on MIndLink taught through The System of Animal Therapy.

Posted by animallogic | April 4, 2014, 10:07 AM