recipes

Sweet Tooth? Healthy Vegan Solution Here!

It’s no secret to any of you that we can help animals by curtailing the number of them we eat.

And when it comes to snack foods, you want something that’s healthy as well.

When I have a sweet tooth, a favorite treat is a Larabar.

larabar

They’re good for you and taste so good!

But I couldn’t find my favorite flavor, Cherry Pie, anywhere around.

So I decided to make my own.

And if I’d known it was this easy, I’d have been making them a long time ago! I used a recipe I found at Budget101.com.

031

I used up the cherries before I decided to blog about making them. Oh well.

Just add 1 cup almonds, 1 cup dates, and 1 cup dried cherries to the food processor and pulse for up to 45 seconds. You might need to add a couple teaspoons of water if the mixture doesn’t stick together well.

Then transfer to a pan lined with parchment paper. Press, allow to sit, and cut into bars.

actually, it tastes better, because I made it.

tastes just like the Larabar!

I’m storing mine in the freezer. They also keep in the refrigerator or at room temperature.

If you don’t like cherries or almonds, no sweat. The basic recipe is as follows:

1 cup nuts
1 cup dates (or raisins or prunes)
1 cup dried fruit of your choice

Or, if you love peanut butter cookies, try processing 1 cup roasted, unsalted peanuts with 1 cup dates. Delicious!

You can find the recipe for over 20 varieties of Larabar at Budget101.

Enjoy!

46 thoughts on “Sweet Tooth? Healthy Vegan Solution Here!

1. I will visit this site soon. My mom currently has a BIG sweet tooth, we have only to replace the dates ( she is allergic) but I’m sure we will find a recipe . Many thanks for this idea, Rumpy&Jen

Posted by easyweimaraner | February 24, 2014, 5:42 AM
  2. Yummo Rumpy! love this 🙂 hugs Fozziemum

Posted by fozziemum | February 24, 2014, 5:54 AM
  3. Clever you!

Posted by jmgoyder | February 24, 2014, 6:42 AM
  4. These sound delicious!!

Posted by scoochyourpooch | February 24, 2014, 7:21 AM
  5. Wow!!! It looks so delicious! and sounds good to humans health! 🙂

Posted by eripanwkevin | February 24, 2014, 8:11 AM
  6. Dang, my Dad got real hungry for some reason!

Posted by Brian | February 24, 2014, 9:22 AM
  7. My husband has a recipe for vegan brownies that are amazingly delicious. Instead of grain-based they are made with blak beans, but you would never know it. Thanks Rumpy 🙂

Posted by ptero9 | February 24, 2014, 9:50 AM
  8. I had no idea it would be that easy to make those! Wow! Thanks for sharing! And I am definitely trying this out!
    ((husky hugz))

Posted by Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady | February 24, 2014, 10:08 AM
  9. “for when chocolate is required…”
    Do you mean there are times when chocolate is NOT required? Really?
    :-))))

Posted by savedbydogss | February 24, 2014, 10:55 AM
  10. That looks GOOD and sounds EASY… and if it is Cheaper… THAT Truly makes it a WINNER.

Posted by Frankie and Ernie | February 24, 2014, 11:09 AM
  11. Yum I am soooooooooooo hungry!!

Posted by willowdot21 | February 24, 2014, 12:32 PM
  12. I am gong to try this

Posted by Jo Bryant | February 24, 2014, 1:17 PM
  13. These sound so easy to make that even mom may make them.

Posted by bjpup | February 24, 2014, 1:20 PM
  14. Excellent! Now I just need to find out what a cup is in pounds and ounces…

Posted by IsobelandCat | February 24, 2014, 2:38 PM
  15. Wow, great idea!

Posted by wigglebuttryker | February 24, 2014, 2:45 PM
  16. Sounds yummy, I love anything with cherries..

Posted by Krystal Grohman | February 24, 2014, 5:52 PM
  17. It does sound good. The favorite treats for Sidney and Shelby are mangoes, carrots, winter squash, and apples. Mom likes them too.

Posted by corkscot | February 24, 2014, 6:30 PM
  18. What a great idea and looks so simple to make. Also healthy. Thanks!

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | February 24, 2014, 7:41 PM
  19. We do this too, and also with varying ingredients! 😀

Posted by raisingdaisy | February 24, 2014, 8:18 PM
  20. Umm … TOTALLY hungry now! Thanks for sharing this, Rumpy and Jenny!

Posted by meowmeowmans | February 24, 2014, 9:28 PM
  21. This looks so healthy for the humans. I’ll tell mom so she will have a healthy snack.

Posted by Dennis Rogers | February 24, 2014, 9:46 PM
  22. so easy and tasty!

Posted by Charron's Chatter | February 25, 2014, 1:24 AM
  23. Yummy!!! Can’t wait to try this!!!!!

Posted by Angie | February 25, 2014, 6:44 PM
  24. Love Larabars, but yours looks so delicious!!

Posted by Moxie Reviews™ | February 26, 2014, 2:50 PM
  25. Ohhhh that sounds good! I will be trying this for sure. Sharing it too!

Posted by Make Something Mondays | March 2, 2014, 8:42 AM
  26. Reblogged this on Make Something Mondays! and commented:
    Make these easy, yet good for you candy bars for snacks. They look amazing!

Posted by Make Something Mondays | March 2, 2014, 8:44 AM

1. Pingback: Sweet Tooth? Healthy Vegan Solution Here! | Catgurl40's Blog - February 25, 2014