Best News I Heard All Week

The Best News I Heard All Week!

Oh Dog! Happy Sunday! I hope you remembered to SPRING! forward, if it’s time for you to do so. Jen says the best thing about springing forward is that it takes the cats a week to figure out they’re not waking her up early! *snicker*

030

We heard several pieces of good news this week. And since we couldn’t decide which was the best, we thought we’d let YOU decide instead!

CHICAGO has banned the sale of puppy mill puppies in the city! Now all animals sold in the city must come from pounds and rescue organizations! The measure passed 49-1. Of course, as I told you, some puppy mill breeders are hiding behind fake rescues they set up to “adopt” out their excess stock, so I’m guessing Chicago won’t really see much difference. As for the pet stores that currently sell puppies? They’re relocating to the suburbs.

QUEBEC has passed a new law that requires all breeders and shelters with 15 or more animals to have a permit. The law, changed last November, went into effect March 7th. This will allow the government to regulate the number of breeders, to inspect the premises. It will also give them more leverage when dealing with hoarders!

And in Indonesia, the Indonesian Council of Ulama, the country’s top clerical body, has issued a fatwa making illegal hunting or illegal trading of endangered species to be haram (forbidden).  The fatwa requires Indonesian’s Muslims to actively work to protect endangered species. According to the leaders, “They are creations of Allah, as we are. It is haram to kill them, and keeping them alive is part of the worship of God.” You can see the full version of the fatwa at the National Geographic website.

So, which is YOUR favorite? Tell us in the comments below.

39 thoughts on “The Best News I Heard All Week!

1. Now that is good news…

Posted by Nachthawk | March 9, 2014, 6:36 AM
  2. Hurray for Chicago! All the news you have is great, though, as far as we are concerned.

Posted by askfisher | March 9, 2014, 7:05 AM
  3. No favorites – it’s all wonderful news. 🙂

Posted by Jackie | March 9, 2014, 7:07 AM
  4. All that news has total Purrime Ministerette appurroval!

Posted by Shiva & Jaya | March 9, 2014, 7:08 AM
  5. hmmmm….all news are great to hear! Well….if I decide only one as the best….hmmmm… maybe Chicago’s puppy mill news because this is one of the reasons why poor animals are increasing in a way….

Posted by eripanwkevin | March 9, 2014, 7:23 AM
  6. Quebec. This one seems the most immediately helpful, but the other two are GREAT as Tony the Tiger would say.

Posted by coddlecreekpetservices | March 9, 2014, 7:39 AM
  7. OMC that is ALL fantastic news! I am voting for the Chicago as my first though because we HATE puppy mills here!
    Get your Easy on Rumpy and have a fantastic Sunday!

Posted by Marty the Manx | March 9, 2014, 8:12 AM
  8. yay for chicago, but I agree with you the evil will find a way to circumvent the regulations. I wish all countries would act like Indonesia, with every species what we exterminate we lose a part of our world. Have a great sunday, Rumpy!

Posted by easyweimaraner | March 9, 2014, 8:21 AM
  9. YEA! GO CHICAGO!

BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!

Posted by fgassette | March 9, 2014, 8:32 AM
  10. Thanks for sharing the goods 🙂 Glad to hear Quebec is putting some very useful legal work in place.

Posted by savedbydogss | March 9, 2014, 8:47 AM
  11. So what about legitimate, good breeders of dogs, can they still sell the puppies? Surely Pounds cannot be the only places you are allowed to buy dogs anymore? I am not sure I understand the ruling. I shall look it up. Thanks for this rumpy. It would be great to get rid of the mills. c

Posted by cecilia | March 9, 2014, 9:47 AM
    • Not that I can tell, at least not in the city limits.

Posted by rumpydog | March 9, 2014, 10:09 AM
      • I can’t find out either. Hmm. It would be a shame to penalise the people that get it right, drive more businesses out of the city centre to walmart land and the puppy mill mafia are still doing what they do (starting up their own shelters) . We must think of another way. c

Posted by cecilia | March 9, 2014, 10:28 AM
      • Yeah, I don’t know how effective it’s going to be either. But in true political fashion, a bunch jumped on a bandwagon for a popular cause without thinking through the consequences.

Posted by rumpydog | March 9, 2014, 10:44 AM
  12. I agree that Chicago’s law is wonderful. Since the pet shops selling puppies banned from sale in the city, they are moving to the suburbs. Illinois should take the hint from the city and follow.

Posted by Hi folks. WooWoo | March 9, 2014, 9:54 AM
  13. Good news arriving as we spring forward. Happy day, Rumpy!

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | March 9, 2014, 12:03 PM
  14. All good news!!! Don’t know that there really is a fav one. I am glad to hear of Quebec though as I live a couple hours outside of there. So that was great to hear!!
    Hope your having a great day!

ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

Posted by Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady | March 9, 2014, 1:15 PM
  15. All three are great to hear.

Posted by dianaroggenbuckebrown | March 9, 2014, 5:10 PM
  16. Pawsum newz Rumpy!
    N we hopez ya iz feelin much bettur too…
    Lub Nylablue n Sherriellen Mum xoxoxo

Posted by Nylabluesmum | March 9, 2014, 5:49 PM
  17. They’re all our favorites, and we wish we could achieve that in this country!

Posted by Bernadette | March 9, 2014, 6:08 PM
  18. Do we HAVE to choose, Rumpy? Because that is all good news. All of it!

Oh, and we’re pretty jazzed about your tooth and gums — that’s good news, too.

Hugs!

Posted by meowmeowmans | March 9, 2014, 7:03 PM
  19. That fatwa thing is fascinating.

Posted by James Pailly | March 10, 2014, 2:26 AM
  20. Super news all round.

Posted by Animalcouriers | March 10, 2014, 3:43 AM
  21. Our area also stopped the sale of dogs- only rescue and pound dogs will be sold. If you are a breeder, you have to register and file quarterly reports stating where your animals were sold. It is a step in the right direction.

Posted by corkscot | March 10, 2014, 12:46 PM
  22. So glad that I clicked the link. When I saw the title, I was wondering what was so excited. This is DAMN exciting!!!

Posted by kimberlygauthier | March 17, 2014, 10:44 PM

1. Pingback: Jelly: Like minds afoot. | Philosopher Mouse of the Hedge - March 9, 2014