Hisses and Purrs

Animal Hoarding at a Northwest Florida High School?

Welcome to Choice High School and Technical Center in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, part of the Okaloosa County School District. Their motto? Envision your future. The school is accredited by the Commission of the Council of Occupational Education.

fwbhs_choice

And one of the ways you can envision your future in the animal welfare arena at Choice is by studying to be a Certified Veterinary Assistant. The instructor is Jennifer Arne.

Jennifer Arne

But there’s a problem. You see, after years of receiving complaints about the program, Panhandle Animal Welfare Society has taken action and removed all the animals from the school program, and the school has, for now, shut the program down.

PAWS went out on Thursday and it seemed the instructor knew they were coming. They told school staff they’d be back the following week, but instead they went back the next day.  Uh oh!

What did PAWS find? Over 200 animals, including a 5 foot long anaconda, being kept in storage sheds. According to NW Florida Daily News, the animals found included 100 rats, 13 chickens, 11 ducks, 22 rabbits (including 2 newborns), 6 peacocks, 9 snakes, 6 finches, a cockatiel, 2 parakeets, 2 pigs, 1 goat, 2 large fish, and other pet rodents. The animals lacked food, water, or adequate bedding. And the snakes had no heat.

The school decided to surrender all of the animals to PAWS. But Jennifer can relax, because, for now, she still has a job. And from the looks of her Facebook account, plenty of animals at home to tend to.

So you see, boys and girls, you can make a decent salary hoarding animals and teaching children to do the same. And your principal will enable you in the process! How cool is that!

24 thoughts on “Animal Hoarding at a Northwest Florida High School?

1. That’s just horrible.

Posted by katecrimmins | March 15, 2014, 8:42 AM
  2. How sad….I’m relieved to hear that PWAS rescued those poor animals from the school….

Posted by eripanwkevin | March 15, 2014, 9:03 AM
  3. Oh no! Including two newborns means, that the pets were not neutered? Who needs this kind of “schools”?

Posted by easyweimaraner | March 15, 2014, 9:25 AM
  4. I don’t know anything about this situation, but from your post I gather that this school was somehow privatized. In other words, this isn’t a Florida public school, but rather a private, for profit, corporation. Not really making any point here, just a matter of curiosity on my part.

Posted by bitcodavid | March 15, 2014, 9:41 AM
  5. Horrible story! Oh, Florida!

Posted by Russell Smith | March 15, 2014, 11:48 AM
  6. Oh my goodness! I am so glad the animals were rescued at least! I wonder how many have died though before they were found out 😦

ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

Posted by Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady | March 15, 2014, 12:25 PM
  7. When does the insanity end!!!

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | March 15, 2014, 2:24 PM
  8. As above – that was my High School many years ago. I rather wish they’d had this sort of program then, as I would have been in it and stopped that nonsense cold.

Posted by heretherebespiders | March 15, 2014, 2:38 PM
  9. Ive lived on fort Walton beach so I’m ashamed to see something like that.

Posted by peacelovenwhiskers | March 15, 2014, 2:47 PM
  10. Shame on them!

Posted by corkscot | March 15, 2014, 7:05 PM
  11. What a self important looking individual the teacher looks…give me the strength humanity has no humane in it…Fozziemum xx

Posted by fozziemum | March 15, 2014, 7:41 PM
  12. This is appalling. I mean, at my high school the FFA had chickens we would raise in the barn out back, but they were very well taken care of.

Posted by paigeandspaniels | March 15, 2014, 9:48 PM
  13. Terrible.

Posted by jmgoyder | March 16, 2014, 12:05 AM
  14. That is awful…so glad they went back early and got them out of there

Posted by Jo Bryant | March 16, 2014, 1:09 AM
  15. I’m glad PAWS went back unannounced. It’s a shame there’s no real punishment for anyone involved

Posted by wilsonthelab | March 16, 2014, 3:15 AM
  16. We iz appaulled by diz artickle!! How cuud da Principull n da other teecherz let diz happin?? Pawfull….me hopez dere are chargez laid…n me n Mum hope all da animalz; Anacondaz included find propurr placez to live da rest of dere livez!!
    Nylablue n Sherriellen Mum
    xoxoxo

Posted by Nylabluesmum | March 16, 2014, 4:40 PM
  17. Well guess what all ur bad thoughts turned into power for us. We got our animals back and Jen has her job back.:)

Posted by AnimalLover | June 28, 2015, 11:20 PM