Buffalo Foretell Volcanic Eruption at Yellowstone?

I tell ya, some people will believe anything!

On March 20th, some yahoo posted a video on YouTube claiming it captured buffalo in Yellowstone Park “running for their lives!” Ten days later that 4.8 magnitude earthquake hit, and now the video has gone viral and all sorts of people now think there’s going to be a supervolcano eruption in the park.

Courtesy of Tom McHugh/Yellowstone National Park/National Park Service

Photo by Tom McHugh/Yellowstone National Park/National Park Service and posted in Christian Science Monitor

Why do people even care?

Well, it has something to do with the fact that the first eruption of that supervolcano shot lava that covered half of North America. Lots of living things died.

So that’s a great reason to be aware IF the darn thing was going to erupt.

But it’s not.

At least not according to every leading volcano expert in the world.

graphic from geology.com

graphic from geology.com

But I know that some of you won’t believe them, and why should you? Just because they’ve got far more education and experience with volcanoes than you, right? And you have a video of buffalo running that PROVES the volcano is going to erupt!

Except the buffalo are actually running TOWARD the volcano.

32 thoughts on “Buffalo Foretell Volcanic Eruption at Yellowstone?

1. Some people are children. They like scary stories…

Posted by Esther | April 6, 2014, 8:12 AM
  2. That’s ok Rumpy. My mom’s blond (not lying) best friend thought that it was in Oklahoma and called her all freaked out…..go figure……

Posted by Marty the Manx | April 6, 2014, 8:14 AM
  3. I read your post while watching a documentation about the eruption of the Ilopango….that’s a remarkable coincidence :o)

Posted by easyweimaraner | April 6, 2014, 8:24 AM
  4. My answer to all the possible end of the World scenarios is the same. It’ll get me off the hook with all those collection agents. 🙂

Posted by bitcodavid | April 6, 2014, 8:36 AM
  5. In Japan, it’s said that catfish foretells earthquakes. 🙂

Posted by eripanwkevin | April 6, 2014, 8:44 AM
  6. I was wondering about this. Thanks for clearing that up.

Posted by dogdaz | April 6, 2014, 8:46 AM
  7. Ha ha! Very cleverly put Rumpy! 🙂

Posted by Bluejellybeans | April 6, 2014, 10:10 AM
  8. MOL! Those buffaloes using the highway so theyza not lost in the forest!

Posted by Guido the Italian Kitty | April 6, 2014, 10:28 AM
  9. Let’s see…didn’t PT Barnum say something to the effect that a fool is born every minute? What the buffalo are really running from are idiots chasing them saying, the sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Posted by kanzensakura | April 6, 2014, 1:56 PM
  10. Ha ha ha! Saw some scary talk about this – glad you blew it our of the water 😉

Posted by Animalcouriers | April 6, 2014, 2:01 PM
  11. They don’t exactly look like they’re running for their lives…..more like they’re just out for their daily jog! 🙂

Posted by Jan K | April 6, 2014, 2:03 PM
  12. I believe animals can detect tremors and such way before humans. I recent tsunamis animals sought higher ground before it struck. The animal were safe. Seems to me humans should learn from them.

Posted by Hi folks. It's BJ Pup | April 6, 2014, 2:06 PM
  13. The buffaloes started the rumor. That’s what we think. wag wag, Max & Bella

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | April 6, 2014, 4:55 PM
  14. We lubz buffaloez n dey iz so lubly….me finkz we lissen to da Hu’man xpertz n just enjoy da video….
    Lub Nylablue n Sherriellen Mum xoxo

Posted by Nylabluesmum | April 6, 2014, 5:01 PM
  15. I’m more impressed by the fact the buffalo had the courtesy to stay to the right! I mean, some humans don’t even do that!

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | April 7, 2014, 12:15 AM
  16. The last known eruption of the Yellowstone volcano was around 1350 B.C., which places it within the time frame of human occupation of North America. But, the last known “super-volcanic” eruption occurred some 640,000 years ago. Tremors and earthquakes are common in Yellowstone, but the last major temblor – measuring 7.3 – happened in 1959. We never know what nature will do, so we can only hope for the best and make certain we have no outstanding credit card debt.

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | April 7, 2014, 12:22 AM
  17. Interesting to see how the Buffalo’s know traffic regulations….running on the right side of the street! 😉

Posted by Nathalie | April 7, 2014, 9:13 AM
  18. I saw in some documentary that before the tsunami struck the Philippines,wasn´t that the big one some year ago?, anyways that animals where the first to start hiking their way up the mountain as if saying something is not right here and maybe it´s better to get the hell out. Yeah, I do believe that animals are more sensitive or can predict some kind of natural disaster. Not all, but some at least. Why? Don´t have a clue. I´ll ask my dog.

Posted by charlypriest | April 12, 2014, 3:00 AM