An #Animal By Any Other Name…..

I have found that the longer I write this blog, the more I tend to focus on one particular species of animal- humans.

I've noticed the attention has not been on me *pout*

I’ve noticed the attention has not been on me *pout*

If you stop looking at us as unique and see humans as just another kind of animal, it gives an entirely different view of the world.

We are an invasive species that has caused significant damage to the Earth. As the pythons have invaded and devastated the Everglades, we have invaded all seven continents.

We have stripped away the planet’s resources as quickly as we can get our hands on them.

We have killed other animals with impunity, or caged them,to show off to other humans our skill and prowess.

No matter how much we have, it’s not enough. We want more.

We eat food that isn’t healthy for us. We drive too fast. We drink and take drugs. We do all this because we want to- because it makes us feel good. That’s what happens when you don’t have to fight for your survival.

Humans are at the top of the food chain with no natural enemies. So we make up enemies in each other. “They” are enemies because of differences in skin color. Or gender. Or beliefs. So we hide inside our secure homes and arm ourselves against each other.

Anyone who has ever battled weeds in a garden knows that the will to live is great in all things. Nature has tolerated a great deal of our greedy behavior, but how much longer will She allow us to go on without fighting back?

Will there be another catastrophic event like a great flood to bring us to our senses? Or will the next event be the end of our species?

In another million years, will there be nothing left of us but our bones hanging in a museum?

Who knows. But being the self-centered species that we are, we’ll hardly entertain the notion.

Until it’s too late.

23 thoughts on “An #Animal By Any Other Name…..

1. If it isn’t too late already…

Posted by Animalcouriers | April 16, 2014, 6:05 AM
  2. Yes Jen you hit the nail on the head. I will continue to do my best to maintain harmony and goodness in my little corner of the world and hope that awareness will spread from me to the ones around me and from them out.
    Marty’s Mom
    Pee Ess Rumpy I love your handsome picture! Kisses on your sweet nose!

Posted by Marty the Manx | April 16, 2014, 7:11 AM
  3. Sadly, this is so true. For a species that has “more intellect”, you would think we would be smarter in keeping our planet clean, healthy, and in harmony.

Posted by Animal Culture | April 16, 2014, 7:12 AM
  4. I agree with you, there are no metes or bounds. maybe Charles Bukowski was right:” Humanity, you never had it from the beginning”. and that’s just sad.

Posted by easyweimaraner | April 16, 2014, 8:03 AM
  5. here here!!! Well said!!!!
    And no worries Rump, the attention will be back on you soon enough! As long as we get to keep seeing your smilin face, were good! haha!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

Posted by Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady | April 16, 2014, 8:23 AM
  6. If I was depressed before I read your post, I certainly am now. I agree with you on all counts. Humans care little for someone else and the adage: “What’s mine is mine, what’s yours is mine, and what’s mine is my own.” It is sad.

We take the land to build and then become irate when the animals come close to our homes for food and because they have no where else go. Some states have a hunting season claiming they need to “thin out the herd” because the humans need more space. Dare I say that they animals are using their own methods to “thin out the herd,” and perhaps we should help.

Mother nature is giving us fair warning that more and more catastrophic tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, avalanches, I could go on. One day one of the events may bring us back to where it all began.

Posted by Hi folks. It's BJ Pup | April 16, 2014, 8:35 AM
  7. Humans….they are hard to deal with…..*sigh*

Posted by eripanwkevin | April 16, 2014, 9:07 AM
  8. I completely agree. It makes me sad when thinking how much nature we have destroyed and what may never come back.

Posted by paws2smile | April 16, 2014, 9:46 AM
  9. I have a particular love for the weeds in my garden and tend to give them admiration and appreciation. I simply don’t understand why people will go to a garden centre to pay for plants when they can have glorious dandelions, bluebells, primroses, forget-me-nots and so many more, everywhere. But that’s people for you…

The Poupounette Gang’s #1

Posted by The Poupounette Gang | April 16, 2014, 1:17 PM
  10. Very true and purrfectly logical… And scary-even fur a kat to think about! *(sigh)* ♥

Posted by hairballexpress | April 16, 2014, 2:06 PM
  11. Rumpy, this is one of your best! Brilliant, scary, all too accurate, and will “we” heed the call to action, right action?

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | April 16, 2014, 4:59 PM
  12. Sadly, you are right. It makes us sad to see how we are destroying everything we have.

Posted by meowmeowmans | April 16, 2014, 8:06 PM
  13. Reblogged this on 25castleson25clouds and commented:
    You know that time another blogger says exactly what you wanted to say, only better than you ever could?!!

Posted by 25castleson25clouds | April 17, 2014, 7:24 AM
  14. I said recently to my daughter we need a plague to wipe out a big part of the human race, but as she pointed out…the wrong ones would probably catch it

Posted by Jo Bryant | April 17, 2014, 3:38 PM
  15. At least our bones will be in the museum. Oh wait, no museums. Oh we’ll, we had a good run.

Posted by Bumba | April 18, 2014, 12:25 AM