A Sad Day in Animal Welfare

Saturday was a sad day for the animals of Tampa, Florida.

The staff at the Animal Coalition of Tampa Bay were wakened early last Saturday to learn their low-cost spay/neuter and vaccination clinic had burned. The fire was intentionally set, possibly to cover the theft of petty cash from the register as well as from a donation box on the counter.

The worst part? The three cats that lived at the clinic- Jazz, Boy, and Mama, died in the fire.

boy and jazz

Fortunately a pit bull survived.

This clinic spays and neuters animals to avoid euthanasia, and provides the service for ferals as well as family pets.

Donations are needed to help the clinic rebuild. You can go to the Animal Coalition of Tampa Bay web site or their Facebook page to find out how you can donate.

And if you live in the Tampa area and have any information regarding the crime, please report it to law enforcement. The perpetrators of this crime should not be allowed to get away with what they’ve done.

45 thoughts on “A Sad Day in Animal Welfare

1. I’m so very sorry to hear of the fire. Just tragic … people will never cease to amaze me.

Posted by Julie's garden blog | April 21, 2014, 2:41 AM
  2. This is so sad, especially because the lives of three cats were lost – and for what. I hope the rotten scoundrels are found and get what they deserve.

Posted by barb19 | April 21, 2014, 2:44 AM
  3. Sorry for the cats 😦 !! Those who did it – Rot in hell 😥

Posted by 10eveningflowers | April 21, 2014, 3:51 AM
  4. This is very very sad indeed…

Posted by marina kanavaki | April 21, 2014, 4:25 AM
  5. What. The. Hell?! I’m sorry, but what kind of incredibly crooked moral compass must you have to first, steal from a donations box, and then burn down the place. These criminals must have heard the cats and pit bull. Terrible, just terrible. So sorry to hear about this.

Posted by Animal Culture | April 21, 2014, 5:19 AM
  6. Oh no, I’m so sad that Boy, Jazz and their mom died in the fire. What’s in the head of people who steal the donations and some money and set a whole clinic on fire? I hope the police will find the causer(s).

Posted by easyweimaraner | April 21, 2014, 6:02 AM
  7. Oh no! How awful.

Posted by The Laughing Housewife | April 21, 2014, 6:11 AM
  8. Dreadful and devastating to all concerned. So sorry for the loss of the cats.

Posted by pensitivity101 | April 21, 2014, 6:38 AM
  9. That’s awful. I hope they find the people who did this before they do something similar again.

Posted by Clowie | April 21, 2014, 6:42 AM
  10. That is just horribly sad. I hope my friend Karma pays those evil humans a visit very quickly, a very painful visit.

Posted by Brian | April 21, 2014, 8:16 AM
  11. How extremely sad. It’s bad enough when lives are lost due to faulty wiring or an accident, but for a person to intentionally set a fire to cover his/her crime when they know lives will be lost is disgusting. There aren’t enough words to express an act like this.

Posted by raisingdaisy | April 21, 2014, 8:19 AM
  12. Oh my gosh! How horrible! 😦

Posted by paws2smile | April 21, 2014, 8:34 AM
  13. Poor Boy, Jazz and Mama…..I’m so sorry to hear about what happened to them…I hope that this clinic will be rebuilt for animals who need helps again…..

Posted by eripanwkevin | April 21, 2014, 9:15 AM
  14. I’m so sorry for the kitties who lost their lives, and the loss of this invaluable resource to the community.

Posted by Bernadette | April 21, 2014, 9:33 AM
  15. Very sad news. 😦

Posted by Jackie | April 21, 2014, 9:41 AM
  16. This is so terribly sad! I hope they catch the person/persons who did this 😦

Posted by scoochyourpooch | April 21, 2014, 9:46 AM
  17. omg…..that’s so sad 😦 my thoughts are with them

Posted by Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady | April 21, 2014, 10:18 AM
  18. That’s terrible. I hope they find who did it.

Posted by Jen | April 21, 2014, 10:33 AM
  19. Thanks for informing us about this, Rumpy. Sad.

Posted by Tuck The Law Dog | April 21, 2014, 11:15 AM
  20. That is heartwrenching!!!

✿♥ღLinda

Posted by dayphoto | April 21, 2014, 11:42 AM
  21. How awful…those poor kitties. I sure hope they catch the one(s) who did this.

Posted by Sage | April 21, 2014, 11:50 AM
  22. They are having a fundraiser tomorrow from 11am-9pm and will take cash & check donations. Details on their Facebook page. I’m going. 🙂

Posted by peacelovenwhiskers | April 21, 2014, 2:19 PM
  23. That is so sad Rumpy. I wish they could do to them what they did to those cats.

Posted by Jo Bryant | April 21, 2014, 2:41 PM
  24. So heartbreaking. We hope they know who did it and they are punished big time. I hope they get enough money to build an even better place.

Posted by Mags Corner | April 21, 2014, 3:17 PM
  25. OMC !
    How can anybody just do that ?!
    I shall see if I can get my paws on my mom-person’s creditcard 🙂
    XOXO

Posted by Kjelle Bus aka Charlie Rascal | April 21, 2014, 3:31 PM
  26. Sad to the bone to read this. Going to go and donate something.

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | April 21, 2014, 4:40 PM
  27. What is wrong with the human race?

Posted by corkscot | April 21, 2014, 6:40 PM
  28. Very sad news and totally unnecessary. What’s wrong with people?

Posted by leggypeggy | April 21, 2014, 6:57 PM
  29. I hope the perpetrators are caught; but will anyone care that the cats died…really hacks us off

Posted by Savannah's Paw Tracks | April 21, 2014, 6:58 PM
  30. Oh how sad… who steals from a non profit… seriously!

Posted by Emily @ Adventures of a Dog Mom | April 21, 2014, 7:16 PM
  31. Such a horrible thing to happen anywhere. So sad for all concerned. 😦

Posted by jansfunnyfarm | April 21, 2014, 7:41 PM
  32. Absolutely an act of evil…I am weeping here. I can only imagine the sheer terror Jazz, Boy & their Momma felt…I think I am going to be sick….
    😦 Sherri-Ellen

Posted by Nylabluesmum | April 21, 2014, 10:03 PM
  33. Speechless and very very 😦

Posted by becca givens | April 21, 2014, 10:49 PM
  34. Link exchange is nothing else except it is just placing the other
    person’s weblog link on your page at suitable place and
    other person will also do similar in support of you.

Posted by blogspot.com | April 22, 2014, 12:07 AM
  35. A sad day indeed for our area.

Posted by Tiny | April 23, 2014, 10:10 AM
  36. Tearful 😦

Posted by mythreemoggies | April 24, 2014, 2:51 AM
  37. Humans are simply the worst being on the planet! Love and Healing to Mama, Boy and Jazz who lost their lives, and to all affected by this appalling example of “humanism” People such as these, find Universal Justice (or it finds them), someday, some way, somehow, and I can’t wait.

Posted by animallogic | April 24, 2014, 1:57 PM
  38. Tragic and heartless and incomprehensible. What is wrong with people like this? So sad that three beautiful kitties died. If caught, the perpetrators shouldn’t be treated any different than if they had burned three humans to death.

Posted by bardessdmdenton | April 25, 2014, 11:08 AM