Best News I Heard All Week

The Best News I Heard All Week!

This week we’re travelling to India for some good news!

Tamil Nadu is an Indian state known for its Jallikattu-bullfights, where men wrestle bulls to win prizes tied to the bull’s horns.  India has argued for years that it’s not inhumane because the bulls don’t necessarily die, though many bulls and humans are killed during the so-called festivities.

jallikattu

Jallikattu (photo: dailymail.uk.co)

But Jallikattu won’t happen anymore.

India’s Supreme Court ruled that the jallikattu and bullock-cart racing, cart races that use bulls, severely harm the animals and violate India’s Prevention of Cruelty to the Animals Act.

bullocks-cart racing (photo: TribuneIndia.com)

bullocks-cart racing (photo: TribuneIndia.com)

This certainly won’t sit well with the Tamils, as they have been participating in these types of events for a very long time.

And animal welfare advocates aren’t resting on their laurels, either. It seems the Supreme Court issued a similar ruling in 2008, then reversed itself several days later.

But for now, bulls are breathing a sigh of relief in India.

Hooray!!!!

18 thoughts on “The Best News I Heard All Week!

1. Let’s hope it last.

Posted by dianaroggenbuckebrown | May 11, 2014, 6:34 AM
  2. Lets hope they keep it and enforce it. Sometimes people turn a blind eye to traditional activities regardless of the legality.

Posted by winterblueangel | May 11, 2014, 6:50 AM
  3. I had no clue. Glad it won’t happen anymore. Have a lovely Sunday.

Posted by Traveling Cats | May 11, 2014, 7:38 AM
  4. That is good very good news Happy mummy’s day to your Mum Rumpy,xx Speedy

Posted by speedyrabbit | May 11, 2014, 8:21 AM
  5. Thank you for sharing the news.
    Happy Mothers Day Jen!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

Posted by Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady | May 11, 2014, 10:07 AM
  6. Let the humans pull the carts!!!!

Posted by kanzensakura | May 11, 2014, 10:18 AM
  7. Wow. I had no idea. Great day indeed!

Posted by OhMelvin | May 11, 2014, 11:58 AM
  8. Hope dey enfowce it. Da only purrawlem wiff da laws is dat dey gotta be infowced and dat dusn’t always hapun. Happy Muddew’s Day.

Luv and hugs and Kitty kisses ♥♥♥

Dezi and Lexi

Posted by dezizworld | May 11, 2014, 12:18 PM
  9. Hi Rumpy. thank you for following my blog! Hugs to the other fur folk and Jen. happy Mother’s day to Jen as well.

Posted by kanzensakura | May 11, 2014, 4:37 PM
  10. That’s certainly good news, especially from a country like India where human life isn’t often valued. I wish México and other countries would ban bullfighting, which is equally cruel and inhumane. I love it, though, when the bull fighters get gored and / or trampled by the enraged animal.

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | May 11, 2014, 4:39 PM
  11. Thank goodness!

Posted by Miss Leslie's Details | May 11, 2014, 5:39 PM
  12. I never heard of this practice. BARBARIC!!!!

Posted by corkscot | May 11, 2014, 6:05 PM
  13. Great news, Rumpy! Thanks for giving us something to cheer about. 🙂

Posted by meowmeowmans | May 11, 2014, 9:49 PM
  14. Now if they would just stop bull fighting in Spain, the world would be a much happier place!

Posted by Kimberley@Black Dog Runs Disney | May 12, 2014, 8:31 AM
  15. Paws crossed it gets enforced and remains in effect. More. More. More like this.

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | May 12, 2014, 8:56 AM
  16. You should probably come to Spain and do the “running with the bulls” in Pamplona.

Cause we are running these guys are actually fighting a bull, I´m not going near that thing even if they pay me.

Posted by charlypriest | May 12, 2014, 1:53 PM

I say I'm helping Jen work, but she says I'm a hindrance. I say shes full of it. #eldercat #gingercat #cat #cats #catsofinstagram #cats_of_instagram