Why I Suck at Outdoor Photography

Ever wonder why most of the photos of Rumpy are taken inside?

Simple: I suck at outdoor photography.

Of course, it would help if I had a better camera, but I don’t. So this is what happens when I take photos outside.

By the time I get focused, Rumpy moves.

By the time I get focused, Rumpy moves…

....or looks down

….or looks down…

...or looks away.

…or looks away…

...until the next thing you know, he's at the door, ready to go inside.

…until the next thing you know, he’s at the door, ready to go inside.

Hurry up, already. It's cookie time!

Hurry up, already. It’s cookie time!

47 thoughts on “Why I Suck at Outdoor Photography

1. “Puparazzi” 🙂

Posted by scoochyourpooch | August 21, 2014, 11:23 AM
  2. BOL! It doesn’t help that once dogs are outside, they are constantly moving too!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

Posted by Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady | August 21, 2014, 11:25 AM
  3. seems it’s not a question of the photographer…or what kind of camera you have…..but more on what an impatient model you have! Just show Rumpy more movies with dogs in them and perhaps he would aspire to be like them! 🙂

Posted by Fergus Gold Post | August 21, 2014, 11:45 AM
  4. Rumpy’s having a heart to heart with the creepy crawling things of this earth someone has to do it…love the looking down photo

Posted by temitayomiyoshiseun | August 21, 2014, 11:47 AM
  5. Yep, I have the same problem. I suspect I’d do better with a faster camera. But I hate to spend the money just in case that’s not the only problem. 🙂

Posted by somethingwagging | August 21, 2014, 11:48 AM
  6. Don’t kid yourself. They all know what cameras are. They learn it in Secret Doggie School, the same place they learn that look that makes us forgive whatever it is they’ve done, no matter how pissed we are. (Awww! I can’t stay mad at my “Widdle Berfer.” It’s OK. Daddy can get a new pair of shoes.) The object of the game is to duck, look down, or best of all – shake, whenever a camera comes out.

Posted by bitcodavid | August 21, 2014, 12:13 PM
  7. Don’t feel bad… that’s how my indoor photos of Dakota come out as well. He loves attention, but hates having his picture taken.

Posted by Chris M Anderson | August 21, 2014, 12:42 PM
  8. I take GREAT outdoor shots, but not of the dogs. My outdoor doggy pictures look like yours. Only I get a lot of doggy butts as they hightail it to the dark end of the yard.

Posted by Marilyn Armstrong | August 21, 2014, 12:42 PM
  9. He must be related to my cats.

Posted by katecrimmins | August 21, 2014, 2:02 PM
  10. My person has a lot of outdoor shots of me that no one will ever see. She usually takes multiples so maybe one will turn out.

Posted by Bongo | August 21, 2014, 2:03 PM
  11. MOL Dat happens to mommy even in da house. MOL Weez just hate da flashy fing, it hurts ow eyes, so weez always move or sumfin’ when weez see it pointed in ow diwection. 🙂 Yous got sum nice fotos of sweet Rumpy anyways.

Luv ya’

Dezi and Lexi

Posted by dezizworld | August 21, 2014, 2:42 PM
  12. My advice is to bring some cookies outside. Mom does it to help me be a good girl. Then when I’m good it’s “click” and “cookie” just like life is supposed to be.

Love and licks,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | August 21, 2014, 2:52 PM
  13. Mom takes a gazillion pics and lucky if she gets a few really good ones! BOL!!

Posted by Miley | August 21, 2014, 3:09 PM
  14. Funny that a cookie is involved.

Posted by Hi folks. It's BJ Pup | August 21, 2014, 4:27 PM
  15. It’s hot. Who wants to stay still. Molly completely sympathizes with you Rumpy

Posted by philosophermouseofthehedge | August 21, 2014, 6:01 PM
  16. Cookie before the photo shoot next time. And during, BOL. wag wag

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | August 21, 2014, 6:58 PM
  17. hee hee….it happens to my kitties when my mom tries to take their pictures even though they are inside….

Posted by eripanwkevin | August 22, 2014, 2:42 AM
  18. Ha ha ha – we have the opposite problem – shocking shots taken indoors but just a hint of a chance of a decent picture with lots of sunshine 😀

Posted by Animalcouriers | August 22, 2014, 3:32 AM
  19. These pix of Rumpy outside made me laugh. 😀 I have exactly the same trouble when I take photos of Millie and Pearl in the great outdoors.

Posted by annabellefranklinauthor | August 22, 2014, 4:53 AM
  20. When staff wants piccything of me outside he films a little movie and then picks a frame from it,

Posted by PC (@PillsterCat) | August 22, 2014, 6:19 AM
  21. Maybe you need a beach 🙂 x x x

Posted by http://www.catflapcavalier.blogspot.com | August 22, 2014, 5:29 PM
  22. That’s why were have many more inside than outside pics too! Love your pics either way. 🙂

Posted by 2 Punk Dogs | August 22, 2014, 6:00 PM
  23. You just have to keep taking Photo’s and lots of them,so that out of all the ones you take you will have one or two that come out good,xx Rachel

Posted by speedyrabbit | August 23, 2014, 7:12 AM
  24. I have one dog that likes to pose, and one that likes to ATTACK when the camera comes out. My top tip: learn to take your photos really quickly 😉

Posted by shacklefordlb | August 23, 2014, 7:31 AM
  25. If you give my friend Rumpy, I’m sure he’ll sit still 🙂

Posted by Noodles the Cat | August 23, 2014, 11:00 AM
  26. I mean a cookie!!!

Posted by Noodles the Cat | August 23, 2014, 11:02 AM
  27. I take a lot of pictures of BabyGirl and Midnight. I use a little digital camera. I have gotten some great action shots but because of the camera I also have missed many also. BabyGirl is pretty easy as she has lot of practice with her career of posing with yogurt cups. http://sassybrat1904.wordpress.com/2011/11/04/posing-with-yogurt-cups-has-been-my-career/
    As you can see from the pictures she loves to have her picture taken. Midnight when in full action doesn’t mind but when she knows she gives me the look will you stop pointing that black box at me.http://sassybrat1904.wordpress.com/?s=black+box
    My favorite single pictures are the Wordless Wednesday Pictures.

Posted by sassybrat1904 | August 23, 2014, 3:51 PM
  28. Rumpy is too busy outside to sit still for a photo 🙂 I have the same trouble with Maya and Pierson when we take photos outside. All the squirrels, birds, and lovely outdoor smells distract them and it takes a lot of bribing to get them to hold still long enough for a good photo. I generally end up taking 20 photos just to get 1 good one.

Posted by Nature by Dawn | August 24, 2014, 11:29 AM
  29. That’s OK, Jen. Rumpy is so handsome that even blurry photos are nice to look at!!

Posted by Moxie Reviews™ | August 24, 2014, 6:21 PM
  30. I’m the opposite…my outdoor photos are better, when I use my good camera, which has a “sport” setting that seems to freeze the constant movement of the dogs. My phone camera takes decent outdoor photos….sometimes….but indoors they never seem to be clear.
    Sometimes the content is more important than the quality, at least I like to think so! 🙂

Posted by Jan K | August 24, 2014, 7:07 PM
  31. Most of my pics look like that too!

Posted by Misaki | August 25, 2014, 10:30 AM
  32. Yep — they are a challenge to photograph — inside or out — except if they are sleeping!!! I loved the one of Rumpy yesterday on FB under “Why yes, I would like to go outside!” 😀

Posted by becca givens | August 25, 2014, 11:42 AM