politics of animal welfare

Fired Lake County Shelter Director Speaks Out!

Here’s an update on the Lake County Animal Shelter Media Frenzy.

Wednesday I told you about Lake County Florida’s Sheriff Gary Borders fired Animal Services Director Jacquelyn Johnston after 147 animals were sheltered during her 9-day tenure.

Sheriff Gary Borders

Lake County Florida Sheriff Gary Borders (Photo: Tom Benitez, Orlando Sentinel )

Today Ms. Johnston fired back with a letter penned by her attorney that accused shelter supervisor Jennifer Ferguson for the euthanizations, stating that on the day the 20 animals were euthanized, Ms. Johnston was out of the county and not available to give written authorization for the euthanizations.

She goes on to say that Ms. Ferguson also interviewed for the Director position, and killed the animals because she was angry over having been passed over for Johnston.

Shelter Manager Jennifer Ferguson (Photo: Tom Benitez, Orlando Sentinel)

Shelter Manager Jennifer Ferguson (Photo: Tom Benitez, Orlando Sentinel)

Ms. Johnston has received death threats from around the world since news broke of her firing.

I guess now Ms. Ferguson will get a little taste of that too.

11 thoughts on “Fired Lake County Shelter Director Speaks Out!

1. What do you say to this. Their fingers must be sore from all the finger pointing, and meanwhile who’s tending to the poor animals, to protect them?

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | October 16, 2014, 7:42 PM
  2. Guess there is politics at work there.

Posted by katecrimmins | October 16, 2014, 8:00 PM
  3. There’s something really wrong there. How maddening that the poor animals are the ones that always suffer because of the evil of humans.

Posted by meowmeowmans | October 16, 2014, 8:52 PM
  4. Hi there! I could have sworn I’ve been to your blog before but after
    going through many of the posts I realized it’s new to me.
    Anyways, I’m definitely happy I came across it and I’ll be bookmarking
    it and checking back regularly!

Posted by Ray Ban ZX300 | October 16, 2014, 10:07 PM
  5. Don’t know of any dogs killing humans in hospitals set up to help them. Sounds like I wouldn’t to be anywhere near either.

Posted by SandySays1 | October 17, 2014, 8:07 AM
  6. Very complicated…….they don’t think of poor animals at all….. 😦

Posted by eripanwkevin | October 17, 2014, 10:19 AM
  7. There’s a lot more going on @ this place…. There is another building that has approx. 40 animals in it, that is hidden from the public… even the volunteers aren’t allowed in there!!!!!!! Those animals are killed 1st, and never get the chance to be reunited with their owners!

Posted by Cassie Wade | October 17, 2014, 7:10 PM
  8. Story makes us very sad but glad you are spreading awareness.
    Hugs,