Jen's thoughts

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thursday is Thanksgiving Day here in the US. We’ve all been taught the holiday was set aside by the Pilgrims to express gratitude for having survived their first year here in the New World.

Rumpy is grateful for comfortable surroundings, the companionship of June Buggie..... and cookies!

The truth is, the holiday, while touted as a sacred time to share with family and friends, has been a tool for businesses to cash in on the money-making holiday season. Thanksgiving for many is days of cooking, followed by over-eating, then heading out for the mega-sales where they push the same stuff they did last year.

While we’re indulging in the madness, one-fourth of our population will be working. They include not only sales clerks, but law enforcement officers, hospital staff, correctional officers, airport staff, and child protective investigators.

June Buggie is grateful for warm spots for napping, a big dog to boss around, and for a human that indulges him.

And many of us will feel sad. We grieve for loved ones no longer with us. We hurt because we are estranged from ones we love, because the celebration never turns out how we think it should, because…. oh, there’s all sorts of things that come up.

But what we also have is a day to remind us that, while things may not be the way we would like, we are doing OK. You may only have part-time work, but you do have a job. You may buy your food with SNAP benefits, but you do have food.

This is the conference area of the building where I work. Partnering agencies are gathering items to provide gifts for over 300 children in the Florida panhandle. I call it Santa's workshop annex.

This is the conference area of the building where I work. Partnering agencies are gathering items to provide gifts for over 300 children in the Florida panhandle. I call it Santa’s workshop annex.

I am grateful for many things in my life. For wonderful companion animals. For a job that pays the bills, and is something I’m pretty good at. For the support of my family and friends. And for wonderful readers like you who come here regularly to share your thoughts with me.

So I encourage each of you to remember that Thanksgiving is what we make it, then choose to set aside at least a few moments to remember all that you have to be grateful for.

Happy Thanksgiving!

33 thoughts on “Happy Thanksgiving!

1. Happy Thanksgiving to all! 🙂

Posted by marina kanavaki | November 26, 2014, 6:50 AM
  2. The holiday, and the Pilgrim/Algonquin mythology surrounding it, was created during the Centennial celebration in Chicago in 1876. It was part of a groundswell movement to create a unique American culture. Most indigenous people tell a somewhat different version of the story.

That being said, Happy Thanksgiving to Rumpy, family and all readers.

Sorry. Don’t hate me.

Posted by bitcodavid | November 26, 2014, 8:40 AM
    • Nope. I hear ya. We rewrite history to suit our purposes.

Posted by rumpydog | November 26, 2014, 9:51 AM
      • You’re so right about rewriting history, Rumpy. I used to research historical myths for articles that were published by an online reference site, and I was appalled at how much misinformation there is about major historical events. My sources were actual letters and diary entries written by people involved in those events, so their authenticity was beyond question. It seemed to me that almost every piece of learned history has had many myths attached – some to the point of becoming outright lies. Fascinating, but kind of sad and scary that people or groups feel the need to either vilify or put halos on undeserving figures and reasons for horrible events. Sorry for rambling! Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

Posted by raisingdaisy | November 26, 2014, 10:26 AM
  3. Wonderful post. I have so much to be grateful for, and I do my best not to forget it. Although I am only human.
    I wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving 🙂
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

Posted by Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady | November 26, 2014, 8:58 AM
  4. My husband benefited from special programs that brought Christmas gifts to poor children who might have nothing otherwise. We hate the commercial craziness of this season. But we love having a chance to buy special treats for families so they can benefit the way my husband did.

I also am thankful for much this year.

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving day filled with blessings.

Posted by somethingwagging | November 26, 2014, 9:42 AM
  5. Happy Thanks Giving,xx Speedy

Posted by speedyrabbit | November 26, 2014, 11:18 AM
  6. very well sayd rumpy! hugz!

Posted by teddytedaloo (@teddytedaloo) | November 26, 2014, 11:48 AM
  7. Happy Thanksgiving Jen, Rumpy and cats and family:-) !!

Posted by catgurl40 | November 26, 2014, 11:53 AM
  8. Beautifully written and very thought provoking. Extra cookies all around. Happy Thanksgiving.

Posted by Hi folks. It's BJ Pup | November 26, 2014, 12:57 PM
  9. Happy Thanksgiving to you from all of us.

Posted by tylersat99 | November 26, 2014, 1:49 PM
  10. Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted by Nancy | November 26, 2014, 3:24 PM
  11. Happy Thanksgiving! 🙂

Posted by Austin Towers | November 26, 2014, 4:10 PM
  12. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

Posted by The Island Cats | November 26, 2014, 5:00 PM
  13. Blessing and Happiness to you ALL, love and hugs, nia

Posted by niasunset | November 27, 2014, 5:34 AM
  14. Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted by Clowie | November 27, 2014, 6:09 AM
  15. Happy Thanksgiving Jen and Lovies. You brighten our lives. Candy and the Terrible but mostly Terrific Trio, Raleigh, Triss and Rikki-Tikki-Tavi. Thank you for being a Blessing in our lives, and for helping us remember we our truly Blessed.

Posted by cgw629 | November 27, 2014, 6:43 AM
  16. Reblogged this on cgw629 and commented:
    A Lovely Post About Gratitude by a Writer and Force for God Whom I Greatly Admire. I Forget to Wish Her a Happy Thanksgiving I Think. I highly Suggest You Give Her a Follow if You are Interested In Animal Rights. Plus her own menageries are darling.

Posted by cgw629 | November 27, 2014, 6:46 AM
  17. Happy Thanksgiving, Jen, Rumpy and June Buggy! And well said!

Posted by Cathy Ulrich | November 27, 2014, 8:21 AM
  18. Happy Thanksgiving, Rumpy – I love the photo of you looking replete! 😀

Posted by annabellefranklinauthor | November 27, 2014, 9:13 AM
  19. Happy, happy, happy Thanksgiving Mr Fluffy. Luvs Freya Rose Blossom and Frankie de tabby x

Posted by http://www.catflapcavalier.blogspot.com | November 27, 2014, 9:21 AM
  20. Such a beautifully well-said post, Jen. I’m with you on all of it. That said, I’m grateful to have come across your site and to get to be a fly on the wall for someone who has her head screwed on right, and whose fur babies have important, fun, powerful, and cute things to say.

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | November 27, 2014, 9:27 AM
  21. Happy Thanks Giving,xx Speedy and Rachel

Posted by speedyrabbit | November 27, 2014, 11:28 AM
  22. You are so, so right. We love you lots, and are so very grateful for you and your friendship. Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted by meowmeowmans | November 27, 2014, 9:02 PM
  23. Hi Rumpy! I’m sorry to be late to comment…. Did you have a lovely Thanksgiving Day? Had lots of cookies?
    I’m very much grateful for your friendship, your posts, and the other friends I’ve met on social media.
    Also I’m grateful for my kitties who somehow came to my house from outside world, who make me feel much better after I lost my precious Kevin. Love from Angel Kevin and mom xoxoxo

Posted by eripanwkevin | November 28, 2014, 6:05 AM

‪Good morning from Bubba Cat #catsofinstagram #cat #cats #catstagram #catsofig #gingercat #eldercat