My New Year’s Resolution

Sometimes I wonder if it was fate that brought me to Rumpy, or mere chance.

Food? My favorite subject!

Were we meant to be together?

He and I are nothing alike. I’d describe us as polar opposites.

He is beautiful, while I am rather plain.

He is fearless, and looks forward to whatever the next adventure brings. I am a worry wort.

Rumpy is a “glass is half-full” kinda dog, while I see the glass and panic about where I’ll get more water.

This is where some of you will quit reading, and write pat comments about how nice I am, or whatever. Please don’t, because this is not a post where I am fishing for compliments. What you think of me really doesn’t matter, does it? It’s what I think of myself that counts.

So why AM I writing this post? Because it’s time to make resolutions for the new year, and I’ve been thinking about making changes.

And then a radical idea hit me: maybe the biggest change I could make is to quit making changes. Perhaps instead of trying to make things happen, I should just let them happen.

After all, Rumpy coming into my life wasn’t a change I made happen. True, I did stop the car to help him out. But somehow the Universe knew that about me, and used it to its’ advantage. Where did it lead me? To this blog, for one thing. One of the best things I’ve ever done for myself, even though I started it in hopes of helping him.

022

One of the best things that happened to me was meeting Rumpy

The concept of “letting things happen” doesn’t play well with me. I’m ambitious. I’m covetous. I want more than what I have now.

But my best-laid plans have mostly been for naught, while the coincidences I’ve accepted into my life have made it far more interesting, at the very least.

I am tired of the endless stream of self-improvements that are supposed to make me a better person. I have spent so much energy trying to make myself thinner, smarter, richer, but none of it seems to have gotten me anywhere. Nope, no comments about how nice I am. You promised.

I have read the books, practiced the lessons, joined churches and clubs. While I’m sure many of you found what you were looking for in one of those places, I found nothing there for me.

So I hereby resolve that, for 2015, I will stop trying to make things happen, and accept whatever the Universe has in store for me. I’m going to try my hand at going along for the ride, and see where I end up.

Now THIS should be interesting!

35 thoughts on “My New Year’s Resolution

1. Happy New Year to Jen, Rumpy and the rest of the gang! (Oh, btw, I still think you’re nice for a tough gal who has seen hard things in this life that I can’t even imagine.) Thanks for making the world a brighter and better place for us all with all you do. Being more accepting of what comes is a good outlook. I try to do that but I’m the opposite to you and can be complacent at times so need to push myself to be in action more with goals and deadlines. All the best!

Posted by Cat Graham | December 31, 2014, 6:05 AM
  2. Jen, I’m with you!!!! Rumpy looks at you with love & thinks of you only as perfect. You met Rumpy to be reminded of your best self – the furry ones do not lie.

Posted by clingycat | December 31, 2014, 6:40 AM
  3. Thank you very much for sharing your new year resolution with us Jen! Happy New year to all of you, Rumpy, Jen, Buggie, Hissy, Bubba, Malachi, Graybie, and little girl! 🎍🎉😊🐶🐱

Posted by eripanwkevin | December 31, 2014, 6:43 AM
  4. Here’s to new year’s resolutions and their fulfillment! Happy New Year to all! 🙂

Posted by marina kanavaki | December 31, 2014, 7:59 AM
  5. Growing up with a sister who has a mental issue, this was the hardest lesson I learned and still keep relearning it. But I will tell you that in doing so, I am far happier than most people I know and more accepting of others. Good luck! It is the best ‘change’ most of us can do.

Posted by Linda Andrews | December 31, 2014, 8:19 AM
  6. Love you guys – i’m super glad you met Rumpy so we could get to know both of you. Happy 2015! X

Posted by bumpyroadtobubba | December 31, 2014, 9:18 AM
  7. Good New Year resolution. I also am a planner, doer, make things happen sort of person. I know how hard it is to let go and just let things happen as they will. Good luck with 2015. I may try this myself.

Posted by susancfl | December 31, 2014, 9:34 AM
  8. That picture says it all. What’s to change?

Posted by katecrimmins | December 31, 2014, 9:34 AM
  9. Wish you all the best in 2015 – go with the flow x.

Posted by shacklefordlb | December 31, 2014, 10:29 AM
  10. Wishing you a very happy new year xx

Posted by Misaki | December 31, 2014, 11:31 AM
  11. That is a great resolution. Though sometimes you have to make things happen, too. The best would be to find a happy balance with both. Happy New Year! 🙂

Posted by The Island Cats | December 31, 2014, 12:25 PM
  12. I think you’ll discover you aren’t driving the bus — never were — and are, like the rest of us, a mere passenger. Sit back. Chat with your fellow travelers. Enjoy the scenery. You’ll wind up exactly where you are supposed to be 🙂

Posted by Marilyn Armstrong | December 31, 2014, 4:04 PM
  13. I LOVE this resolution! It will make you more dog-like. And doesn’t everybody want to be more dog-like? If they don’t, they should. Good luck. And Happy New Year!

Love and licks,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | December 31, 2014, 4:11 PM
  14. We are who we are no matter what we try to do, and that is a fine thing. Don’t get in your own way! Rumpy doesn’t! And enjoy the ride!

Posted by Bernadette | December 31, 2014, 4:42 PM
  15. Hi Y’all!

Let me tell you a secret…but you can’t tell anyone…we dogs see life in the present moment…we don’t plan…we don’t scheme…we don’t see you as skinny or fat, or beautiful or plain…we see you for what you feel, how you act towards us, how you smell, yes smell, how you move, yes we read every movement you make….We see with our nose first, then our ears, and lastly with our eyes. (Rumpy already told you all that didn’t he?)

As Cupcake said, “it will make you more dog-like”.

Wishing y’all a safe and healthy 2015!

Happy New Year!
    Hawk aka BrownDog

Posted by Hawk aka BrownDog | December 31, 2014, 4:59 PM
  16. That is an insightful piece of writing. Are we really masters of our fate, or are we playing out a well written scenario?

Posted by corkscot | December 31, 2014, 5:45 PM
  17. Sounds like a good plan – or good lack of a plan! Love the picture of you and Rumpy. 🙂

Posted by 2 Punk Dogs | December 31, 2014, 7:01 PM
  18. This was beautiful!!!
    Wishing you a happy healthy new year!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

Posted by Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady | December 31, 2014, 7:37 PM
  19. Well you don’t want compliments, tough…um…chew toys. 😛 I object to you calling yourself plain, and so does Rumpy dog. I wish you the best of luck letting things happen. Keep us updated!

Posted by amkuska | December 31, 2014, 7:53 PM
  20. I love your blog, Jen, because of our shared love for animals. I adopted my dog from an ex-roommate who couldn’t take care of him. It wasn’t really a planned adoption, so we had a rough start. But it’s one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. As for self-improvement, that has to come from within. Looking to others to make your life better is futile and ultimately puts your fate in the hands of people who may not care about you. All the best to you and your loved ones in this New Year!

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | December 31, 2014, 8:43 PM
  21. Happy New Year,xx Speedy

Posted by speedyrabbit | January 1, 2015, 9:02 AM
  22. My cats… as always, my guiding light to happiness. Happy New Year and blessings to you and yours from the Zee and Zoey Gang!

Posted by debbarnes | January 1, 2015, 9:10 AM
  23. Bravo! That’s the only valuable and true lesson I’ve learned from my fur babies. Might as well go with the flow because the flow is going with you regardless of what you do. Good post! I’m struggling to hold back a compliment but patting myself on the back for being in compliance with your request, lol. 🙂

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | January 1, 2015, 10:10 AM
  24. Reblogged this on Pet Bloggers and commented:
    Lovely thoughts about approaching a new year.

Posted by Jen | January 1, 2015, 2:28 PM
  25. This sounds great, Jen! We look forward to seeing where the ride will take you, dear friend. Happy New Year to you, Rumpy and the gang. 🙂

Posted by meowmeowmans | January 1, 2015, 8:44 PM
  26. Best wishes for health, happiness, peace, and prosperity to you and yours in 2015!

Posted by Russel Ray Photos | January 1, 2015, 9:25 PM
  27. Happy New Year my dearest friends 🙂

Posted by niasunset | January 2, 2015, 12:48 AM
  28. Happy New Year! I think it takes a lot of courage to move along in life and accept what happens along the way.

Posted by Susan Stovall | January 2, 2015, 2:07 PM
  29. It’s very freeing to just let things happen. Have a wonderful year.

Posted by Hi folks. It's BJ Pup | January 2, 2015, 2:45 PM
  30. I must say you are not plain you look most lovely with rumpy, particularly jealous of those curls! Trying to let go and just take things as they may is my goal for the year too and once I must embrace as I face my beloved Norberts illness this s a great post

retro rover

Posted by retro rover | January 3, 2015, 8:38 PM
  31. rumpy is, indeed, a marvelous beast! (i tell that to one or another of our cats frequently — what a mahhh vee lous beast!) i’m sure you all were “meant to be together” — just as our household (now that we’ve run the kids off) presently is …

Posted by betunada | January 3, 2015, 10:52 PM

RumpyDog Fan Club!

It's almost #Monday? But the weekend went by so fast!!!! #dog #dogs #dogwisdom #dogstagram #dogsofinstgram #alaskanmalamute #alaskanmalamuteofinstagram