Jen's thoughts

So How’s the Resolution Going?

Who knew that doing nothing could be such a struggle?

If only relaxing was as easy for me as it is for Rumpy

If only relaxing was as easy for me as it is for Rumpy

Part of my “Go with the Flow” resolution is to not hold the expectation that I should be doing something productive every minute of the day.

Didn’t take long for THAT to cause problems.

At 7 AM, after having walked Rumpy, fed, cleaned litter boxes, and put out fresh water, I decided to go back to bed. Suddenly I was bombarded with thoughts of how I was wasting my day away by sleeping, and that I should clean. I should write. I should DO SOMETHING!

When I woke up a little after 9 AM, the thought that I should DO SOMETHING popped up immediately, and stayed with me all day.

Do I really believe I am not worthy of relaxation? That my value as a person is in my actions?

I don't judge them by their ability to produce. So why do I do that to myself?

I don’t judge them by their ability to produce. So why do I do that to myself?

So I shut up that condemning voice with a cookie and a chick flick.

It’s obvious it’s going to take more than one day to make this resolution a reality.

33 thoughts on “So How’s the Resolution Going?

1. We were brought up by parents who instilled extremely strong work ethics in us!! I find it almost impossible to relax too!!

Posted by willowdot21 | January 6, 2015, 5:11 AM
  2. It feels like such a luxury these days doesn’t it to just do nothing 😊

Posted by dianaroggenbuckebrown | January 6, 2015, 5:18 AM
  3. I know..i find it super hard..i fell asleep after tea tonight..on the floor..it’s hot and revolting..slept 3 hours..now I feel guilty..urghhhhh

Posted by fozziemum | January 6, 2015, 5:25 AM
  4. Ha! Mom has no such problem. I think she learned how to be useless from me…. She’s an expert.

Love and licks,

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | January 6, 2015, 5:57 AM
  5. Yeah… it’s already Jan 06, and I don’t have any progress yet except blogging more than usual haha

Posted by KayeRavyn | January 6, 2015, 7:00 AM
  6. Proust was one of France’s most prolific authors, yet he made it a point to never begin his work day, before 2PM. He would wake up late, have a relaxing breakfast, then spend more time relaxing and enjoying himself. He worked in spurts. An hour or so of productivity, followed by an hour or so of napping. It would go on like this until about 2AM, when he would retire for the night. He died at 51, but not before writing 12 novels, 2 complete translations, a bakers dozen essays, and 4 piano concertos.

If one works in manufacturing, food service, or something similar – where volume is the sole arbiter of success – then that relentless internal taskmaster is a necessary evil. But if one’s job is in the arts, literature or in the care of others – say dogs, for example – then perhaps quality, rather than quantity, should be our benchmark.

Ask yourself this question. Who would you rather be – the person who paints one Mona Lisa or the person who paints a dozen Dogs Playing Poker?

Posted by bitcodavid | January 6, 2015, 7:06 AM
  7. You are worthy of relaxation, Jen….Just make for one hour or two for your relaxation….I’m certain that it would be good to your health, too! 🙂

Posted by eripanwkevin | January 6, 2015, 8:30 AM
  8. Sounds like the story of my life…

Posted by sarcasticallywitty | January 6, 2015, 8:40 AM
  9. I have this voice in my head too… and it gets louder every minute, like the seat belt control of a car… I will try the cookie trick, maybe it works here too :o)

Posted by easyweimaraner | January 6, 2015, 9:05 AM
  10. I am in a similar situation. Norbert has a nasal cancer diagnosis and the vet is saying weeks, not months. its hard to exist in such a state for me I worry about the end and if he will suffer and what will happen to us. Then I look at Norbert and he isn’t worried at all he is just feeling what he is feeling in that moment and whether or not its a good moment, I try hard to be like him

retro rover

Posted by retro rover | January 6, 2015, 9:31 AM
  11. it’s not that we need to be productive “every minute of the day” but rather that we are productive at what ever we do- right? 🙂

Posted by Snowmobile Club | January 6, 2015, 2:05 PM
  12. You’re not alone. I especially relate to your asking if your value as a person rests in what you do.

After all, we don’t think someone physically unable to do certain things as less valuable than someone who can.

Keep up the fight to learn how to slack.

Posted by somethingwagging | January 6, 2015, 3:03 PM
  13. Well at least I am not the only one. I suffer the same malaise. I sure hope you can kick the habit this year.

Posted by Mel | January 6, 2015, 5:11 PM
  14. I have such a hard time relaxing, I’m not sure I would even try this. We used to have a hot tub, and I couldn’t even relax in there! I’d last about 15 minutes and then have to get out and do something. The only time I can really relax is in the evening by watching about an hour of TV (sometimes a bit longer in the winter). but during the day? Forget it!
    Good luck to you, I hope you can do better. We all work hard and do deserve some relaxation.

Posted by Jan K | January 6, 2015, 5:35 PM
  15. It takes a while for the engine to completely stop after you’ve turned it off. You just turned off your behavior of constantly on the move and doing something. It will take a bit for you to “turn off” and allow yourself slow down until you can not do anything. Sleep is good for that. Also, so is wine.

Have a good time doing nothing.

Posted by Hi folks. It's BJ Pup | January 6, 2015, 8:35 PM
  16. Glad to meet you Rumpydog! I guess you have your work cut out for you helping Jen learn how to relax. The picture of you relaxing takes all my stress away. It’s better than Calgon! Sending Good luck vibes for you, Jen, on keeping your resolution!

Posted by Pam Newberry | January 6, 2015, 8:53 PM
  17. Keep trying!

Posted by Animalcouriers | January 7, 2015, 2:58 AM
  18. Go for it! Cut yourself some slack! You deserve it!!

Posted by bichonpawz | January 7, 2015, 5:02 AM
  19. Oh man, that should stuff is hell. But, the body needs the fun and doing nuttin stuff, mixed in with the action. Right Rumpy? Bet he wagged yup. Take it easy kiddo. ❤

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | January 7, 2015, 9:33 AM
  20. I think Copper would agree with your resolution, Rumpy! Happy New Year!

Posted by lscotthoughts | January 7, 2015, 9:42 AM
  21. If you don’t make resolutions, there is nothing to make you disappointed when you don’t follow through.

Posted by corkscot | January 7, 2015, 6:49 PM
  22. There may be practically nothing that may compare with the satisfaction the perfect window of vino may bring to experts
    and amateurs alike.

Posted by Anya | January 8, 2015, 12:31 AM
  23. Well, that we could totally get into keeping, but humans see things differently than we furries do. We hope she makes it work.

Posted by jansfunnyfarm | January 8, 2015, 2:19 PM
  24. It’s a practice, so keep practicing to get it right! lol xoxoM

Posted by Margarita | January 9, 2015, 1:18 PM

1. Pingback: So How’s the Resolution Going? | Catgurl40's Blog - January 6, 2015