Product Reviews

By Nature Active Defense: Grain-Free and Yummy!

This is By Nature Active Defense Grain-Free dog food, By Nature’s latest offering. They also offer Active Defense for cats.

141

Now we all want to feed our dogs and cats the best food we can find, right? By Nature Active Defense provides dogs and cats with SuperFusion™ Advanced Nutritional Blend. This fusion of high-quality proteins, antioxidant-rich superfoods and prebiotic fibers is purpose-built to support pets in all that they do (the company’s words, not mine).

By Nature sent Rumpy a bag of Active Defense to try. We received the Ocean Whitefish and Green Peas recipe.

The first thing I noticed when I opened the bag was I could smell the fish. Maybe that’s because the first three ingredients are whitefish, whitefish meal, and menhaden fish meal.  But there are other good things in Active Defense, like pumpkin, butternut squash, carrots, spinach, broccoli, apples, pears, blueberries, cranberries, and pomegranate.

143

But we also know that it doesn’t matter how healthy the food is if your dog or cat won’t eat it. And trust me, there is no dog on the planet more stubborn than Rumpy. If he doesn’t like the food, he is NOT going to eat it. Period.

150

Do you notice how close Rumpy’s bowl is to a dish of delicious cat food? And yet Rumpy is devouring the By Nature Active Defense.

Rumpy is a member in good standing of the Clean Plate Club!

Rumpy is a member in good standing of the Clean Plate Club!

So, would I buy it? It depends. The only local retailer is on the beach, and that’s a 30 minute drive. By Nature is available online from retailers such as Chewy.com and PetFoodDirect.com. So while I like the food, I don’t see me going out of my way to change from what he’s eating now.

What about you? Have you tried By Nature Active Defense? What did you think?

Disclaimer: The manufacturer sent me a bag of By Nature Active Defense whitefish and green pea to try. My opinions are my own.

14 thoughts on “By Nature Active Defense: Grain-Free and Yummy!

1. We used to feed a fish based food; now the Collie of the home finds that all the oil doesn’t always agree with her. Sounds like a good food though.

Posted by savedbydogs | January 15, 2015, 6:27 PM
  2. Too many different foods are available. Scotties are very particular and you can’t just change food without worrying about upset stomachs. If I got a free bag, I would try, but they are content with their food now.

Posted by corkscot | January 15, 2015, 7:12 PM
  3. Never heard of it but I bet all the fish oil is great for the dog’s skin/fur/ I had a problem with our elder rescue, Lady, and all the itching and rashes until we got her on fish oil tabs. 🙂

Posted by The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap | January 15, 2015, 7:18 PM
  4. BJ is also very picky about his food. If he doesn’t like it he will walk away. I’ll have to try a small bag.
    Just a reminder – Please accept BJ’s invitation on FB. He is know a Benjamin Jensen.

Posted by Hi folks. It's BJ Pup | January 15, 2015, 11:07 PM
  5. looks abit like Speedy’s pellets except for the fishy bit,maybe some one a bit closer to home will start stocking,xx Rachel

Posted by speedyrabbit | January 16, 2015, 1:43 AM
  6. I will look for that food in our stores… if it smells like fish Easy will take a bath in that food, I’m sure :o)

Posted by easyweimaraner | January 16, 2015, 6:07 AM
  7. http://www.universitytimes.ie/?p=32334 – when I read this I thought of your comment the other day and thought it might reassure you a bit on your writing path. This food sounds good — grain free is good. We have limited choices where we shop for groceries but have been able to find food that doesn’t have corn as the first ingredient. I’d like to see more mainstream dog food go completely natural. I’m willing to pay more for food if it’s good for my pets.

Posted by saymber | January 16, 2015, 6:25 AM
  8. I find which dog food to feed a tough choice, yes my I want my dogs to eat well but I don’t want to pay over the odds for a bag of dog food because I am paying for the companies marketing budget as well!

Posted by 25castleson25clouds | January 16, 2015, 7:55 AM
  9. Since almost two weeks ago, one of our kitties, ‘Tora’ (means Tiger in Japanese) has been suffering from urethral calculus and what vet did to him was to take those stones with a catheter cleaning his urinary duct that seemed to be so painful……so because of that, he can’t eat anything else except PH control of royal cannin……By Nature Active Defence looks so yummy….probably the one for cat much be delicious, too…..I wish I could feed it to him….

Posted by eripanwkevin | January 16, 2015, 9:02 AM
  10. It looks good and evidently tastes good. Don’t think we could buy it around here, though.

Posted by jansfunnyfarm | January 16, 2015, 6:02 PM
  11. I tend to try to find out if the comapny is ethical before I buy its products. I cannot see the logic in my loved pet eating food from animals that have spent their lives in squalor and misery. I don’t know if this product is ethical or not.

Posted by Isobel | January 17, 2015, 3:46 PM

Yella is all worn out! #zzzzzz #fatcat #cat #cats #caturday #catstagram #catsofinstagram #gingercat